Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry LoI discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    If Dynamos feel they can overcome the obstacles in the near future they'd be right to apply again in 2013 as they say. If not, they should concentrate on the KDL and in terms of the Munster Senior League which is basically a Cork League as said by citybone, discussions should take place to get that linked to district leagues across the province?
    I agree on the MSL, it is just a Cork league and should be more regionally based. I hope Dynamos go back to the KDL...Kerry domestic soccer needs dynamos. Also, I think straight entry into the premier division should be facilitated for the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrysock View Post
    I agree on the MSL, it is just a Cork league and should be more regionally based. I hope Dynamos go back to the KDL...Kerry domestic soccer needs dynamos. Also, I think straight entry into the premier division should be facilitated for the club.
    I thought once Tralee enter a team into the A championship that they kept a team in the KDL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Dialogue is the key. When I mooted a second division. I didn't expect it to magically happen. I would've expected dialogue between certain clubs and then the FAI. Anyways I'll park that there! In terms of the MSL, what's the way forward? What's the remit of the Munster FA. I know they've funded Turners Cross in parts but what else do they do? For the MSL to be more regionally based, is it down to district leagues to press the matter the the Munster FA. Again, there has to be dialogue on the issues and obstacles to move forward. Munster at the very least can only look to get it's own house in order.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannonsider View Post
    I thought once Tralee enter a team into the A championship that they kept a team in the KDL?
    Before Dynamos entered the A Championship, their "A" team played in the KDL Premier A, while their "B" team flitted between Premier B and 1B (as is currently the case with Killarney Celtic, Listowel Celtic, Brendan's Park among others). After '09, the B team was just called "Tralee Dynamos" in a KDL context, and look poised for promotion to Premier B, so it makes sense to place Dynamos A in the top division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think the support shown for the Kerry oscar traynor team backs up the fact that a kerry league team would have great support in the LOI. Great turnout and great result as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I think the support shown for the Kerry oscar traynor team backs up the fact that a kerry league team would have great support in the LOI. Great turnout and great result as well
    The Kerry Oscar traynor team is made up of players who will be returning to their clubs once the match is over. Therefore it's of not threat to their respective clubs.
    If a Kerry League side went into the LOI and took players from each KL club permanently would it be looked on in a positive light? I doubt it.

It's like in bogball, if the county team played 30+ games a year in a league and had the club players all year round (with them not able to tog out for their clubs) I would doubt very much they would have the same support as now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    The Kerry Oscar traynor team is made up of players who will be returning to their clubs once the match is over. Therefore it's of not threat to their respective clubs.
    If a Kerry League side went into the LOI and took players from each KL club permanently would it be looked on in a positive light? I doubt it.

It's like in bogball, if the county team played 30+ games a year in a league and had the club players all year round (with them not able to tog out for their clubs) I would doubt very much they would have the same support as now.
    You make a good point but you are not going to lose that many supporters going to Kerry games just because of that. Down here we support "county" teams and yesterday showed that, the Kerry u21s have also proved this when thery were in existence. I dont have exact figures but I reckon there was more at Kerrys game yesterday than all of Dynamos home matches in the a-championship last year.

In a county that is domainted by GAA, secondary sports such as soccer will only get crowds if it is a "Kerry" team. A club by themselves will get no support - as it has been shown with Dynamos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    You make a good point but you are not going to lose that many supporters going to Kerry games just because of that. Down here we support "county" teams and yesterday showed that, the Kerry u21s have also proved this when thery were in existence. I dont have exact figures but I reckon there was more at Kerrys game yesterday than all of Dynamos home matches in the a-championship last year.

In a county that is domainted by GAA, secondary sports such as soccer will only get crowds if it is a "Kerry" team. A club by themselves will get no support - as it has been shown with Dynamos.
    So do something about it ;P
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Yes, but once this new entity are up and running they are one club.. and it won't be long before the others start to resent losing players to them and generally feeling they're getting a bit big for their boots. There are no easy answers unfortunately.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Yes, but once this new entity are up and running they are one club.. and it won't be long before the others start to resent losing players to them and generally feeling they're getting a bit big for their boots. There are no easy answers unfortunately.
    Yes, I agree here, there is no easy answer... which is why I think for the forseeable future kerry will have no LOI team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I know clubs have their own interests and rightly so, but surely it's a bit narrow minded to resent players looking to play at a higher/national level. It'd be for the benefit of the game, from what I can see, for players to have that opportunity.
    Personally this discussion has gotten tiresome. Football is about playing and/or supporting your local team. I was looking forward to a week like this of being at work and then once the weekend was over take in Dynamos playing in the league, alas it's not to be.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    That's the funny thing. If a player wants to go to England clubs won't hold them back. If they want to go to the local LOI club it's not usually so straightforward.

Not every club is like that, but certainly a lot have that sort of attitude.

Hate to be so negative, but there it is. There's nothing to say that with the right people involved there couldn't be a good LOI club in Kerry, but it will certainly be tough. Keeping an existing and relatively well established LOI club going is difficult.. getting a new one off the ground will be even tougher but it has been done before and will be done again.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    John O'Regan (KDL secretary) was interviewed by Radio Kerry after the Oscar Traynor win and point-blank ruled out any Kerry LoI application, citing expense. It makes sense, then, that there should be an ongoing dialogue over the next 12 months as to what personal experience and material assistance the KDL can lend Dynamos towards a new application, as they shouldn't seek to obstruct clubs from making another attempt if unwilling to try themselves. Also, there should be a debate as to whether individual clubs should try to compete at intermediate level if senior status proves impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    That's it really and I thought it was accepted by all that there won't be a Kerry LoI application. Sure that's what's driven on Dynamos to go the way they have, and personally I say fair play, though it might have cost them. I'd agree as well that the KDL should lend assistance where they can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That's it really and I thought it was accepted by all that there won't be a Kerry LoI application. Sure that's what's driven on Dynamos to go the way they have, and personally I say fair play, though it might have cost them. I'd agree as well that the KDL should lend assistance where they can.
    So Dynamos so go into the LOI by themselves just because Kerry league dont enter? - That made financial sense didnt it?

I keep repeating myself here but the only viable option is a Kerry LOI side even though John Regan is against it. A club by itself will not work - no Kerry club is anyway near big enough, let alone Dynamos who have fallen behind other clubs in the last few years.

Kerry are 5-10 years away from having a LOI team, if at all!

Maybe the best option is not to have a Kerry LOI side (from a financial perspective). If you are a good player from Kerry, you can still play with other LOI clubs nearby (e.g. Limerick and Cork)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    You keep repeating alright, I do too so I'm not one to talk, or type as the case maybe but anyway... a Kerry LoI side might be a viable option but the will and support for that is not there.

The only option for Kerry representation is for a club to go for it. I don't accept it's beyond Dynamos to achieve this. While they missed out this year, there's no reason they won't get in in a few years. There won't be any overnight success or automatic support from the county but should Dynamos get in, if they put in the work around the county e.g. soccer camps around the county in the summer etc., they can gain support. If any clubs have a problem with that or resent players getting involved with Dynamos, the only solution for them, though not likely, would be to get to the same level.

Alas, for now, the dream is over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The only option for Kerry representation is for a club to go for it. I don't accept it's beyond Dynamos to achieve this.
    This is where we disagree. It is completely unviable for Dynamos or any other club to afford LOI football! Thats my view...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    GAA have a budget over 4 million no matter what level you are at you are facilitated. For Kerry soccer to have a League of Ireland team it would need 200k that works out at about 5 euro per head of everyone playing soccer in Kerry. Soccer is Kerry can cater for the main but no desire exists for Elite players. Players like Donaghy & Cooper must be thrilled they went GAA as if they were elite soccer players they would never get the opportunity in Kerry. When you think of the top man in Kerry group gets 1.2 million per year. Soccer people in Kerry can't even generate 15% of his wages lol. How will Kerry ever stop be the laughing stock for the country. We are a waste of space that we cant cater for our young players. I don't care what crest, colour of jersey but everyone should have the opportunity to play to the highest of their potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I'd have to agree that there seems to be no desire to cater for elite players. We're not the only county however, 13 counties are outside the League of Ireland circle. Kildare, Meath and Tipperary have bigger populations that ourselves but figures for involvement in the game would be needed.
    For 13 counties not to be involved is a bad reflection on the FAI whose job is the promotion of the game in the country. They have to have some strategy at least to promote the game in these counties and have clubs in these regions for elite players.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I would agree that Kerry is not the only county but how many of the other 13 counties have a regional academy in their county. Tipp dont have 1 there players go to Limerick, Meath dont have one either players go to Dublin. Did you know Kingdom Boys only have a couple of players at 95 academy & 96 academy so most of the young players are from all other clubs so therefore if no League of Ireland where do they go. My suggestion is they ask their club first and ask what are they going to do for them....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast