Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Colin P. O'Brien stay with Limerick for the rest of the season?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, He is the most talented player we have who adds greatly to the team.

7 29.17%
  • Yes, we're too short on bodies to get rid of anybody!

10 41.67%
  • No, we should PASS around the bucket and club together for a one way ticket to west Cork.

7 29.17%

Thread: Colin P O'Brien Poll

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Colin P O'Brien Poll

Deise Deserter has asked me to put up a poll as to how fans feel about Colin O'Brien's future with Limerick. So direct any complaints to him!

As ever when I post a poll I won't be voting for a day or so...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Of course the wording of the poll is fairly loaded. He is not the best player we have - but certainly in the top three or so. I want him to saty - and not because we are short of bodies, but because he scores goals. I agree he does not pass as much as he should - sometimes it is very frustrating to watch. But two questions. Can you name any half-decent striker who passes enough? That is the nature of strikers. They are greedy. Also, how often did Steven O'Flynn lose the ball when he should have passed? He was awful greedy as well. But nobody doubted his commitment or talent.

I think CP is getting very unfair stick from the fans this season. Particularly in light of the attitude of some other new members of the squad who now seem to have jumped ship. Give him a break lads.

By the way SLK are you in Fianna Fail or something. You don't vote after putting up a poll. Is that because you decide what way to vote after seeing how everyone else does?
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    By the way SLK are you in Fianna Fail or something. You don't vote after putting up a poll. Is that because you decide what way to vote after seeing how everyone else does?
    Heavens no! I just think it defeats the pupose of things if my vote is the first one every time and people can always tell how I feel about anygiven issue. Surely I deserve some privacy???

As for O'Brien, I think he deserves the criticism he gets. There were at least two occasions last night when he had a Limerick player inside the penalty area totally unmarked and instead he insisted on trying to beat his man. Had we scored either of those chances we would have taken the lead and the complexion of the game would have been totally changed. Instead Cobh's second goal came when he stubbornly refused to pass the ball and Cobh broke out as a result off Limerick's players queueing up to give hime options. It would be harsh to blame anybody for last night's defeat but he has more to answer for than his team-mates.

Say what you like about Stephen O'Flynn but he made better choices than CP "Can't Pass" O'Brien. For all his natural ability and flair for sticking the ball in the net O'Brien seems to have the decision making ability of a child. I don't think he's commited to the club or his team-mates, for him this whole season is about putting himself in the shop window. If we had a fuller panel I'd say get rid of him. As things stand, we don't really have that luxury. Unfortunately. He's nowhere near as effective as O'Flynn or Derek McCarthy were and I'd sooner have two Alan Barrys (though ideally the second would be a little less injury prone).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    Anyway the Fianna Fáil way is to decide what way we should vote and hold elections until they get the result they want!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    Heavens no! I just think it defeats the pupose of things if my vote is the first one every time and people can always tell how I feel about anygiven issue. Surely I deserve some privacy???
    You are on a web forum!

Alan Barry is grand and all but no thanks to two of him. I'd rather CP around any day. By your reckoning I guess you would prefer two Ciaran Foleys as well?

I don't for a second deny that CP should pass more and I have seen numerous examples of when he could have passed to players in better positions and lost the ball. That is a huge weakness in his game - but probably the only one. But let's face it. Where else will we get goals from? He is a really good player and to say he has ability and a flair for knocking the ball into the net and then say you'd want him out is a bit contradictory. In his defence he has been getting stick from Limerick fans since the start of the season. Then he is slagged off for not caring. Why should he - when he is the top scorer and his club's supporters roar abuse at him. I'm surprised he hasn't sha gged off before now - but fair play to him for not doing so. He scored a cracking goal down in Cobh last Friday and bust a gut up front on his own for most of the match. Maybe if we got behind him he might respond in kind. It's amazing how people are focused in on him, when there are players like Rossy, Quigley and Keogh who are drifting aimlessly around the pitch and not pulling their weight and nobody says anything to them.

For the record I don't know the guy and have no interest in this except for seeing him get a fair crack.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    As he was taken in on loan, he had a bit of reputation. He has lived up to that reputation in the goal-scoring manner, but also has developed a reputation for being a greedy bastrad, which most good goalscorers are.Its hard to call, but I think he should get credit for what he has done.If you ask him to change his game, and start passing more, then his positional game will change and the goals dry will up.He's the only one scoring, so then we'd be really screwed.I agree he's no Stevo or Derek, but he's as good as we got right now, so lets get behind him rather than picking on him. I believe he's a bit moody and temperamental too, so best be nice!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

let him thumb

we should have been three up last night in the first 25 only for him. yea he takes the penos (two missed thus far this season) but his overall contribution is ****e! he was the one who got cobh their second goal last night and had us praying for an alan kelly blunder which happened. no its off with his head i say

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    For all his natural ability and flair for sticking the ball in the net O'Brien seems to have the decision making ability of a child. I don't think he's commited to the club or his team-mates, for him this whole season is about putting himself in the shop window. If we had a fuller panel I'd say get rid of him.
    SLK your on the fcukin ball about CP!!! and why do you think he's not playin for city??? because of the exact reason you pointed out!

had he not of been playing ye could of easily won the game to be honest because he's a stingy **** who can't pass the ball...sorry won't pass the ball!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree completely with SLK. Only other thing I would add is that he does not seem to have any respect for the rest of the team. He has an incredibly bad attitude towards them and from the incidents on the pitch they seem to be sick of his laziness and b!tching. No wonder the only players taking to him in the car park after the match were Cobh players.
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."
    - John Purcell (Limerick FC Commercial Manager), February 2004