Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI seek Derry exemption

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BulmersKid View Post
    They have job to represent the League of Ireland clubs at UEFA, eheather we think what they are doing is right or wrong.
    How does fighting for Derry City's right to play in Europe represent the other clubs in the league (possible impact on coefficient aside)?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    As far as I know it's up to the national association to nominate who represents them in Europe, the clubs don't deal directly with UEFA

If Derry City have asked the FAI to help put their case forward then, as the national association, surely it's up to the FAI to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    How does fighting for Derry City's right to play in Europe represent the other clubs in the league (possible impact on coefficient aside)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Chances are some other club will dissolve, reinvent itself and then qualify for Europe in 2 seasons because everyone further up will have gone bust too, or had points deductions. Setting the precedent for Derry allows the FAI to f*ck around with the leage to their heart's content without having to worry about UEFA getting involved.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc_1928 View Post
    If Derry City have asked the FAI to help put their case forward then, as the national association, surely it's up to the FAI to do that?
    I've no problem with that but let us not pretend then that the FAI are gone to bat on behalf of the league in general rather than Derry specifically (and I know it wasn't you who had done that in the first place).
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    No way the should be let in, as they say in the North, Derry should 'take their oil' and sit out till the ban has passed after the cheating that saw that relegated!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I'm confused. In an earlier thread about James McClean you talked about the "previous Derry City club".

Do you consider the current Derry City to be the same club or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    No way the should be let in, as they say in the North, Derry should 'take their oil' and sit out till the ban has passed after the cheating that saw that relegated!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Have any Northern clubs made representation to UEFA, through the IFA, about Derry City's attempts to get into the Europa League?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Could be interesting to a few clubs up North....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Can we make this clear. Derry were not relegated. Their results for 2009 were expunged and they were kicked out of the LOI!
    And were then allowed to snake back in without Wellvan involvment!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BulmersKid View Post
    Why not?

As a memeber of any organistation, I Would expect that orgainsation to represent me to the best of their ability.

Anyway, this to me looks like the FAI getting someone else to do the dirty work. I can't see UEFA going aginst their own rules and FAI can come away and say they did their best.

They have job to represent the League of Ireland clubs at UEFA, eheather we think what they are doing is right or wrong.
    Bohemians are also a LOI club, who will lose out if the FAI try to break these rules

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Have Bohs asked the FAI to make representations to UEFA on their behalf, in order to gain that European spot?

If they have, and the FAI refused, then you probably have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Bohemians are also a LOI club, who will lose out if the FAI try to break these rules

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Have Bohs asked the FAI to make representations to UEFA on their behalf, in order to gain that European spot?

If they have, and the FAI refused, then you probably have a point.
    I don't see that it's relevant tbh.

The FAI decide who they put forward as representatives. It's not up to the clubs to ask them to do so! The FAI chose to pick Derry as their representative, despite the rules, instead of picking Bohs. That was their choice, nobody elses.

Clubs don't have to ask to be put forward as representatives!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    But surely clubs have the right to object? Particularly when there seems to be valid grounds for an objection.

Everyone seems to be quite indignant on behalf of Bohs, I'm simply wondering what their position is on the matter.

Have Bohs applied for a UEFA license and are the FAI helping them with their application?

I don't see that it's relevant tbh.

The FAI decide who they put forward as representatives. It's not up to the clubs to ask them to do so! The FAI chose to pick Derry as their representative, despite the rules, instead of picking Bohs. That was their choice, nobody elses.

Clubs don't have to ask to be put forward as representatives!
    Last edited by dcfc_1928; 30/01/2012 at 6:54 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I don't know why UEFA created this 3-year trading rule, but am I right in speculating that the situation Derry are in now (new trading company after old one left debts behind, and the club being able to recover quickly because of all the unpaid debt) is exactly the kind of situation the rule was written for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    But surely clubs have the right to object? Particularly when there seems to be valid grounds for an objection.

Everyone seems to be quite indignant on behalf of Bohs, I'm simply wondering what their position is on the matter.

Have Bohs applied for a UEFA license and are the FAI helping them with their application?
    Of course they have the right to object, who said otherwise.

However, them not objecting doesn't mean whats being done is right (I've no idea if they've objected or not).

Why would Bohs have applied for a UEFA licence without being put forward as a representative. That makes no sense. You're put forward as a representative, and then you apply for the licence.

Bohs have a lot of stuff to worry about right now, so I dunno if this is something their focusing on, but that doesn't make it right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Are you sure?

I thought that each club which believes it can qualify for European competitions must, prior to the beginning of that season, apply for a UEFA Club Licence.

In this case if Bohs believe they can qualify, because Derry are refused a license, then they must also submit an application?

Regardless, my point is, the FAI will help any of its member clubs with their application for a UEFA club license.

It's up to the FAI to assist their member clubs with the process, but at the end of the day it will be UEFA's decision.

Of course they have the right to object, who said otherwise.

However, them not objecting doesn't mean whats being done is right (I've no idea if they've objected or not).

Why would Bohs have applied for a UEFA licence without being put forward as a representative. That makes no sense. You're put forward as a representative, and then you apply for the licence.

Bohs have a lot of stuff to worry about right now, so I dunno if this is something their focusing on, but that doesn't make it right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Yep - that's exactly why it was created and why I can't ultimately see UEFA accepting the licensing application.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't know why UEFA created this 3-year trading rule, but am I right in speculating that the situation Derry are in now (new trading company after old one left debts behind, and the club being able to recover quickly because of all the unpaid debt) is exactly the kind of situation the rule was written for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    FAI with their Dublin bias as usual
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Can we make this clear. Derry were not relegated. Their results for 2009 were expunged and they were kicked out of the LOI!
    And were then allowed to snake back in without Wellvan involvment!
    Their results were not expunged. Their license was revoked (after all games played) but the results counted (unlike Dublin City's in 2006)
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I like the way Bohs could be the ones to benefit. Kind of highlights how the LoI never learns.
    if Bohs get the spot it will be because they finished the highest placed team that meet the relevent criteria. The only thing the LOI has to "learn" is that some on here are incapable of leaving their anti Bohs bias out of any discussion.

Persoanlly I think if the FAI seek a deregation for Derry it will be granted - simply because EUFA dont really care who represents our league.

And if that is how it transpires best of luck to them in europe but I can understand the surprise/concern of some at the FAI advocating on behalf of a club they so recently expelled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Anti Bohs bias from a UCD fan? He he hee

UEFA do care, and as hinted earlier the Coleraine situation only 60 miles down the road is the key indicator there.
    ---

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast