Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: New Derry City Manager

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

New Derry City Manager

Declan Devine with Paul Hegarty as Assistant!! All the best Decky, hope it works out and we have many years of success

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Im surprised with the appointment.. I was sure Willie McStay was going to get it. Was he ever in the running in the first place?I am not surprised with Hegarty as asst mgr but not Devine..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Im surprised with the appointment.. I was sure Willie McStay was going to get it. Was he ever in the running in the first place?I am not surprised with Hegarty as asst mgr but not Devine..
    McStay was very much in the running, but apparently wanted flew in from Scotland. Devine was the fans favourite and most fans wanted him. Good knowledge of the league, of local players and a very good coach. Will have the respect of the players also.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    McStay was very much in the running, but apparently wanted flew in from Scotland. Devine was the fans favourite and most fans wanted him. Good knowledge of the league, of local players and a very good coach. Will have the respect of the players also.
    A club like Derry should not have managers that "fly in". What kind of commitment is that? Unbelievable.
    With that in mind I'm doubly glad that McStay didn't get it. He's been out of Irish football for a while and, well, the last time we took a punt like that, it didn't work out (Robertson).
    Devine will look to build on Kenny's success - something he was very much a huge part of - and with Heggsy there too, I am happy enough. Firstly we need to start replacing the players that have gone (Harkin, McGlynn, McClean, Zayed, Greacen, Friars), but I hope each signing is carefully weighed up, no panic signings.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I wouldnt have put up with the flying in from Scotland option, but also surprised by this appointment. I'd count myself as having a very good LOI knowledge, been around this scene since the late 70's, but I didnt know anything about the guy, is it not a big gamble for a club with moderate competitors for finishing comfortably in the top 4, prob top 3 next season (with an experienced manager)

Good luck to the man, everyone deserves a chance, just surprised Derry didnt go for someone a lot more experienced.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    ... is it not a big gamble for a club with moderate competitors for finishing comfortably in the top 4, prob top 3 next season (with an experienced manager)
    I had a conversation with a friend about this earlier. I take your point, but Devine will have learned a lot from Kenny over the years and will try to build on that foundation. Then you have the steady, steady hand of experience with Heggsy, who will keep people on their toes. It's not a bad management team when you consider the other real options.

The way I see it, the board is dead right to be cautious financially (don't want ruin as we had recently) and if they are to take a chance, they're better taking a chance with someone who is familiar with the club and Irish football. In that sense, I'm happy they have Devine rather than the cowboy Sean Connor or English conference assistant Willie McStay who allegedly wanted to be flown in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The way I see it, the board is dead right to be cautious financially (don't want ruin as we had recently) and if they are to take a chance, they're better taking a chance with someone who is familiar with the club and Irish football. In that sense, I'm happy they have Devine rather than the cowboy Sean Connor or English conference assistant Willie McStay who allegedly wanted to be flown in.
    Had the bould Seanie his hat in the ring for the job or are you just surmising?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    The Journal reported that he was either contacted or had applied.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    He was interviewed for it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Good Luck Decky, only concern for me would be, will he have the experience to entice players to come to Derry. In the past experienced managers have been able to bring good quality players like Zayed and Gracean to the club, dont know if Decky can do that. Hes a quality coach but theres a big difference between managing and being first team coach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some material from the press conference last night

(c) Online Video, Derry

http://vimeo.com/m/34685837

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Paul Heggarty is the typical footballer/coach, eating chewing gum throughout the press conference like a cow chewing the cud.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I almost miss the screams of Paul Hegarty..

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Think its a good choice by Derry.May lack management experience but brings continuity from the Kenny era. The outcome (good or bad), I suspect, will hinge on whether or not he can entice decent players to replace those that left the club. On the positive side he is taking over a club that has done well recently so ..... if it aint broken....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    By far the best choice out of who was interested. Good luck Decky though I fear a tough year.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?