Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Setanta Cup 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Only started watching it with about 20 mins to go, but Crusaders are all over them, even with 10 men.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    4 all on penos sudden death

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Crusader win Cup

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Ah well. Crusaders deserved the cup.
    Funny that the commentator said that penos are a lottery, but I know that Derry would miss them two - short run up, and the last fella didnt even look at the goals

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Crusaders just about deserved it on balance I think but a very even game. McCaffrey was missing that peno all day long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    We're a bad side. Crues deserved it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    We're diabolical at the mo and have been for weeks. Decky is already under a decent wedge of pressure and I cam't see it getting any easier. We fully deserved to lose against a well drilled but laughably limited side today. It's gonna be a long season.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    To be honest, as nice a guy as Decky is, I'm not sure he has the potential to achieve similar successes as Stephen Kenny did. Whether or not we see any European action next year will likely determine if he has to fight to keep his job next season. We are currently a point ahead of Bohs(with a game in hand admittedly), yet how much bigger a budget are we operating on compared to them?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    We're diabolical at the mo and have been for weeks. Decky is already under a decent wedge of pressure and I cam't see it getting any easier. We fully deserved to lose against a well drilled but laughably limited side today. It's gonna be a long season.
    I would say 'laughably' is being a bit insulting and a bit typical of the arrogance of Derry City supporters. Although I do think they are limited(not laughably) as proof to the fact they finished down in 5th in the Irish League and beaten very comfortably by ourselves last weekend in the cup final.

Hopefully in the long term though, this will be a shot in the arm for the Setanta cup. It has been very one sided with LOI sides dominating since the 2nd Setanta cup and I think a lot of interest was lost because of this. Maybe we'll see a bit more competition with the IL teams showing a bit more confidence as the LOI has shown to be a level ahead for the majority of this competitions history and peoples interest will be rekindled
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    I would say 'laughably' is being a bit insulting and a bit typical of the arrogance of Derry City supporters. Although I do think they are limited(not laughably) as proof to the fact they finished down in 5th in the Irish League and beaten very comfortably by ourselves last weekend in the cup final.
    They hoofed it all day long and kicked everything that moved. They dominated but still nearly got beat by the worst Derry side in 12 years. Credit to them for having a plan and exploiting Derry's woeful defence and cluelessness going foward. But it ain't down to any perceived arrogance that they played muck football which would look bad in some of the worst LOI grounds. Typical arrogance? Catch a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    To be honest, as nice a guy as Decky is, I'm not sure he has the potential to achieve similar successes as Stephen Kenny did. Whether or not we see any European action next year will likely determine if he has to fight to keep his job next season. We are currently a point ahead of Bohs(with a game in hand admittedly), yet how much bigger a budget are we operating on compared to them?
    I think every Derry fan is having the conversation going 'Decky's a nice guy BUT...'

In mitigation Lafferty, Zayed and McGlynn were pretty much irreplaceable and Decky had zero time to do much work on the squad.

But he's not convincing as a manager at all. Derry's tactics all year have been - what? Play ten yard passes in defence and then lose possession as soon we come under a slight bit of pressure? And that's without even mentioning the total hames that is constantly interchanging McDaid/McLaughlin/McEleney behind a lone striker. The three look totally confused, do not get in good attacking positions and are totally out-of-position when we don't have the ball, while the entire system offers no width except for Madden's gallivanting.

If we'd have played 4-4-2 yesterday and kept it simple, I think we would've found a way to won. But I have no clue what kind of football that team is supposed to be playing or what their plan is (and, seemingly, neither do the players). We may have a limited playing base, but it's no excuse for panicky, headless chicken, mish-mash approach we're taking to games. It just won't do.

Rant off.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 13/05/2012 at 5:34 PM.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    there was a good piece written in the star by pat dolan on friday about the brandywell not being a advantage to them like in the past. now I see why after reading this thread.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    there was a good piece written in the star by pat dolan on friday about the brandywell not being a advantage to them like in the past. now I see why after reading this thread.
    Not sure if that's a dig - if so, I don't think it's fair since the criticism is simply looking at the football we're playing. Drogs away, Dundalk at home and yesterday we're three of the poorest DCFC performances I've seen in years. Naturally though I'd like to Decky to get it right, and the cheering remains the same regardless.

Having said that it's a fair point - the atmosphere in the Brandy is very poor at the moment, attendances are down, noise is down. Plus it's obvious from our results it's affecting the players. We showed some proper grit against Shams and Sligo away which is painfully lacking at home. There's definitely confidence issues relating to our home performances.

The fans need to play their part too, it goes without saying.

14. Thanks From:

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920