Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Excellently presented Danny.
    It ups the standards around here to have an actual scholar on board.
    Cor, I dunno about that, but cheers for the complimentary words!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    With poppy-mania fast approaching its climax again, I wrote a piece to give some thoughts on a suggestion that James is in need of a history lesson, the nature and diversity of meaning conferred upon the symbol and its popular promotion (especially in respect of the north of Ireland) and the episode with the Sunderland fans and players last weekend.

You can read it here, if interested: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...episode-three/
    great piece, well done
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Conor McGregor's incoherent ramblings might take some of the heat of James this poppy season!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I said it yesterday when I saw that, you could read that for days and still not be completely sure what he's trying to say. Anyway, gets attention back on him I suppose, six weeks to the next fight right?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He was replying to a recently posted 2 year old picture depicting him wearing the poppy and with comment sarcastically questioning his use of the 1916 ballad (The Foggy Dew) as his intro song.
    Not worth a comment on this thread, James has enough about him to take up all the available space in his own thread, there's not even space left for McGregor's watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    True enough I suppose, my bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Thank God for Conor McGregor. He'll stop the Indo from moaning about our footballers' being overpaid knackers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I know what he's been doing and done but I don't like him, something does tell me though that behind it all he is probably a nice guy.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    That Daily Mail article is so pitiful. Refers to McClean as "Northern Ireland born" and has no evidence or specific info regarding the alleged "barracking." Just seeking to draw attention to the lack of a poppy on McClean's shirt again and make a story out of him for a few clicks.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Has anybody bother to read the story and facts behind the poppy?

The use of the poppy was inspired by the World War I poem "In Flanders Fields". Its opening lines refer to the many poppies that were the first flowers to grow in the churned-up earth of soldiers' graves in Flanders, a region of Europe that overlies a part of Belgium.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]3[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] The poem was written by Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae on 3 May 1915 after witnessing the death of his friend, a fellow soldier, the day before. The poem was first published on 8 December 1915 in the London-based magazine Punch.

In 1918, Moina Michael, who had taken leave from her professorship at the University of Georgia to be a volunteer worker for the American YWCA, was inspired by the poem and published a poem of her own called "We Shall Keep the Faith".[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]4[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] In tribute to McCrae's poem, she vowed to always wear a red rememberance poppy as a symbol of remembrance for those who fought and helped in the war.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]3[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] At a November 1918 YWCA Overseas War Secretaries' conference, she appeared with a silk poppy pinned to her coat and distributed 25 more to those attending. She then campaigned to have the poppy adopted as a national symbol of remembrance. At a conference in 1920, the National American Legion adopted it as their official symbol of remembrance.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]3[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] At this conference, French-woman Anna E. Guérin was inspired to introduce the artificial poppies commonly used today. In 1921 she sent her poppy sellers to London, where they were adopted by Field Marshal Douglas Haig, a founder of the Royal British Legion. It was also adopted by veterans' groups in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]3[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...er-united-fan/

I think people like McClean and the Poppy fascists need to understand what the Poppy means. My Great Grandfather and Grandfather fought in the British Army in WW1 and WW2 so I'm proud to wear one. They fought for the peoples freedom so they could live in a democratic society. Now people have the choice to wear what they want or not.

This is the reason why I have a problem with McClean. It's his spin on the poppy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    To me its more about where the money goes and who benefits.

if you were living in Canada, then i wouldn't have any problem with people wearing the poppy.

But for me, Irish over here who wear it, more often than not feel the need to fit in. YOu wouldn't see the lads down on the sites wearing them.

I politely declined the smile and asking for a donation down where i work in Canary wharf, they swarm like flies. That's not to say I don't appreciate what those in WW1 or WW2 did.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

14. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    To me its more about where the money goes and who benefits.

if you were living in Canada, then i wouldn't have any problem with people wearing the poppy.

But for me, Irish over here who wear it, more often than not feel the need to fit in. YOu wouldn't see the lads down on the sites wearing them.

I politely declined the smile and asking for a donation down where i work in Canary wharf, they swarm like flies. That's not to say I don't appreciate what those in WW1 or WW2 did.
    I can understand the whole British Legion thing but over the years the meaning has got lost. Just look at groups like Britain First and how they've turned it into a far right British symbol. It's quite sad really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I lived in the Glasgow for 4 years, Belfast for 3 and Derry for 1 and traveled the length and breadth of the UK for work and never once wore a poppy, and never ever really felt like I was expected to. Through out this time my boss was a retired Colonel form the British Army and he never mentioned it either so to me it seems that the whole you have to wear a poppy or else guff seems to me to be a more modern thing.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    Has anybody bother to read the story and facts behind the poppy?

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...er-united-fan/

I think people like McClean and the Poppy fascists need to understand what the Poppy means. My Great Grandfather and Grandfather fought in the British Army in WW1 and WW2 so I'm proud to wear one. They fought for the peoples freedom so they could live in a democratic society. Now people have the choice to wear what they want or not.

This is the reason why I have a problem with McClean. It's his spin on the poppy.
    McClean isn't preventing you or anyone else from using the symbol as a means of commemoration, so I don't really get your problem, especially as you appear to acknowledge the democratic choice involved. He's not trying to discourage anyone from doing something they want to do. If you're proud to wear one, that's great; good luck to you. For James, however, wearing one would be the source of considerable cultural discomfort, not because he has some intention to belittle your ancestors. Symbols have different meanings and connotations for different people. McClean didn't concoct the social phenomenon we know as "poppy fascism", since Jon Snow popularised the term. It's also undeniable that the state/government has militarised and fetishised the symbol. At last year's Tower of London memorial, David Cameron explicitly connected it with modern conflicts in which British forces were/are involved. That obviously can be problematic for northern nationalists for numerous reasons relating to the British army's actions in the north, including: the killing of innocent civilians, internment without trial, military torture, collusion and general intimidation of the nationalist community. For what it's worth, the poppy is also used to remember loyalist paramilitaries in the north.

You suggest that James is in need of an education. I find that rather patronising and wrote a piece specifically on that suggestion here: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...episode-three/

It may be of interest. Do you object to those who organise the white poppy commemoration on the basis that they're also "putting a negative spin" on the red one? That's not really what they're doing though. They're reacting to its hijacking.

18. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Now people have the choice to wear what they want or not.

This is the reason why I have a problem with McClean.
    Shouldn't this line be the exact reason you don't have a problem with McClean?

20. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Shouldn't this line be the exact reason you don't have a problem with McClean?
    I've problem with people taking a symbol like the poppy and putting their own beliefs and views on it. Things like 'blood stained poppy' and 'proud to be British? - wear a poppy!' annoy me as it's not about original meaning of the poppy.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I've problem with people taking a symbol like the poppy and putting their own beliefs and views on it. Things like 'blood stained poppy' and 'proud to be British? - wear a poppy!' annoy me as it's not about original meaning of the poppy.
    It's a symbol. People putting their own beliefs and views on it is sort of the point.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    McClean isn't preventing you or anyone else from using the symbol as a means of commemoration, so I don't really get your problem, especially as you appear to acknowledge the democratic choice involved. He's not trying to discourage anyone from doing something they want to do. If you're proud to wear one, that's great; good luck to you. For James, however, wearing one would be the source of considerable cultural discomfort, not because he has some intention to belittle your ancestors. Symbols have different meanings and connotations for different people. McClean didn't concoct the social phenomenon we know as "poppy fascism", since Jon Snow popularised the term. It's also undeniable that the state/government has militarised and fetishised the symbol. At last year's Tower of London memorial, David Cameron explicitly connected it with modern conflicts in which British forces were/are involved. That obviously can be problematic for northern nationalists for numerous reasons relating to the British army's actions in the north, including: the killing of innocent civilians, internment without trial, military torture, collusion and general intimidation of the nationalist community. For what it's worth, the poppy is also used to remember loyalist paramilitaries in the north.

You suggest that James is in need of an education. I find that rather patronising and wrote a piece specifically on that suggestion here: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...episode-three/

It may be of interest. Do you object to those who organise the white poppy commemoration on the basis that they're also "putting a negative spin" on the red one? That's not really what they're doing though. They're reacting to its hijacking.
    Read what I said. The mean and reason behind the poppy. You are linking all the atrocities carried out to the poppy. I my opinion that's wrong. I believe in the original mean of the poppy. The poppy became to emblem of The Royal British Legion. The funds raised go to ex-service personnel and their families. NOT to the British Army. Also it's not a symbol of war, imperialism or British nationalism as you put it. Even the RBL say this. McClean doesn't have to wear one if he doesn't want to but people have the right to question his motives and views. As far as I know, no one at Sunderland, Wigan, WBA or the FA have forced him to wear one.

You go on like 'James' is some kind of victim and is being bullied. But here's the thing, you connect all those atrocities to the poppy as well British nationalism then you must see it from the other way. McClean likes to post pro-Republican songs by The Wolftones about the IRA on Twitter or wearing an Easter Lilly which like the poppy has been taken over by Republicans and has been used by groups like the PIRA and CIRA. Not to mention his 6th form protest against GSTQ and their flag. Surely you must understand how that can come across to British people?

As I said, I don't mind if he doesn't wear a poppy I just don't agree with his reasons and I think he's got it wrong. I've no problem with the white poppy or the purple one. I understand the reasons behind them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's a symbol. People putting their own beliefs and views on it is sort of the point.
    That's like saying it's ok for ISIS to go around killing the infidels because that's the beliefs and views of the Qu'ran and Islam!

25. Thanks From: