Page 158 of 182 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Against Wales tomorrow night, McClean will swap his usual No 11 jersey for the No 5 that McBride wore with distinction for the Candystripes.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...clean-10086474

I recommend using a computer with an i7 processor or above for visiting the Daily Mirror

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Not going to delve too much into this but there are times when you sit there and think "Christ man, you're earning tens of thousands a week, loved by so many of your fellow countrymen and have forged a career that the 99.999% can only dream of. Why bother?"

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Contrary to what had been widely reported in the media, McClean wasn't actually exempted from training today for Ryan McBride's funeral. It was yesterday that he was permitted to travel to Derry to express his condolences to the family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm actually surprised given that both funerals were today that he didn't go up today instead.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd imagine today's training session was regarded as the most important of the week by the management team given the fact it's the day before the actual game. Allowing James to visit Derry yesterday was probably agreed as a compromise so as to ensure he wouldn't miss today's session.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well I figured that. But given the confluence of events coupled with the fact that he would have been around the squad a lot. I don't put too much stall in the idea that a regular squad/team member would have missed that much by being absent given the circumstances. Anyway sure, what can ya do.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'James McClean relishing his key role in Ireland's World Cup qualifying campaign': http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/ja...aign-1-7887469

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Collins
    JAMES McCLEAN believes he’s matured enough to become a ‘key player’ in Martin O’Neill’s Ireland squad after enhancing his reputation with yet another man of the match display against Wales last Friday night.

McClean, who turns 28 next month, has certainly earned his place in the team having started all five qualifiers and currently leads Ireland’s scoring charts with three goals, including that precious winner in Vienna against Austria. In fact he's played all but the final five minutes of that game in Austria during the opening five qualifiers.

“I’ve been around for the squad for five years and I feel I’ve got enough experience to make myself a key player,” said the Derry man.

“You can only do that by putting in the work for your club and taking that into internationals. I’m not a young lad anymore. I’m thankful to be getting the opportunity.”

The West Brom winger reckons Ireland can capitalise on their ‘very strong position’ in Group D and finish the job during the second half of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign which kicks-off at home to Austria on June 11th.

He was influential in the scoreless draw with Wales at the Aviva - a result which left the ‘Boys in Green’ in second place, level with leaders, Serbia on 11 points.

And having already played Serbia in Belgrade and Austria in Vienna, McClean believes Ireland can go into the second half of the campaign with real confidence.

“In the grand scheme of things it was a good point for us,” said McClean.

“We’re still undefeated, we’re joint top of the group. We’ve played Serbia and Austria away and drew with Wales who haven’t gained any ground on us and we’ve got most of our remaining games at home.

“So the onus is on us to really kick on in the second half of the campaign and hopefully we can do that. I’m very confident we can but talk is cheap. We need to put that into action.”

The West Brom winger, who wore the No.5 shirt in memory of his good friend and former Derry City teammate - the late Ryan McBride, was in inspired form on the night and set the tone with a robust tackle on Real Madrid superstar, Gareth Bale after just four minutes.

He felt Ireland shackled the Welsh danger man superbly on the night but admitted it would have been difficult to take if Bale had of clinched the win when his stunning second half strike shaved the post.

Indeed, Bale should have been handed his marching orders for a nasty challenge on John O’Shea minutes before Ireland skipper, Seamus Coleman sustained a broken leg following a horrendous tackle from Neil Taylor.

“That’s just my game anyway, whether it was Gareth Bale or whoever,” McClean said of his tackle.

“I wanted to put 110 per cent into the game, that’s the bare minimum. That’s what I’m paid to do and honoured to do.

“Bale was quiet enough but it just goes to show the class of the man. He had a quiet game but almost won the game with two bits of magic. It just goes to show you can never switch off, but I thought we were very good in containing him.

“We could have been a lot better on the ball ourselves. I thought Wales were a much better side on the ball but given the injuries we had, and the big players we had missing, I felt we did very well. It was a workmanlike performance.

"It was definitely a game which lacked quality. It was like a derby type game. Neither team wanted to lose and cancelled each other out. It was a bit dirty, a bit gritty.

“On another night we could’ve won it if luck was on our side but it wasn’t to be. We’re still in a very strong position and looking forward to doing our bit in the second half of the campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Danny, as a rule of thumb, if you're quoting more than a paragraph, then the link is enough
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd be against posting full articles altogether. If you find a good article you should want to see it supported by getting clicked.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Still all to play for, our home games will be no push over though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McClean has kept his place in the West Brom starting line-up as they play away to Manchester United this afternoon. It's 0-0 at half-time.

It looks like Matt Phillips suffered a setback during his hamstring injury recovery: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spor...pulis-12807580

I'm not sure when Phillips will be back and ready for action - it seems Pulis had been hoping he'd be fit for today - but McClean will very likely start each game in his absence and can hopefully hold on to the starting berth when Phillips eventually returns, especially in light of his good form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He was substituted early in the second half despite playing well, massive shift as usual and made a potential match saving tackle on Mkhitaryan just before he went off.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He was substituted early in the second half despite playing well, massive shift as usual and made a potential match saving tackle on Mkhitaryan just before he went off.
    Hope he wasn't injured or did he just run out of steam ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Didn't look injured, didn't look like he had ran out of steam either but that was probably the thinking alright. Pulis was probably conscious of the fact that he had played two games for us as well.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    With Matt Phillips being match-fit again, it'll be interesting to see if McClean retains his starting place today for West Brom at home to Southampton despite his recent good form. I hope he does, although I see that the Guardian are predicting Phillips will start instead of him: https://www.theguardian.com/football...-match-preview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    James back on the bench today. Matt Phillips takes his place. Disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A great story here on Derry's Down Syndrome Oxford Bulls team who seemed to be having difficulty finding opponents to play against until a helpful intervention by James McClean: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-...-west-39551971

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A team of footballers with Down's Syndrome is to play its first competitive match after a video plea featuring a Republic of Ireland player [James McClean].

A video with Mr McClean went viral; the team have been inundated with offers.

Delighted manager Kevin Morrison said the response had been so good the team could play every week for two years.

"Our first competitive match will now take place in Sion Mills on 24 April," said Mr Morrison.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Doing it once is amazing but doing it again since DeLorean posted similar 7 posts ago is beyond the call of duty.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ha... in Danny's defence, I think there's been a wee (as James himself might say) update on proceedings.

Funnily enough, I can't remember what social media outlet it was but McClean posted a picture of himself and the young players at the time. Somebody responded with something along the lines of "the British media won't be reporting that though, will they James?", to which McClean agreed. I had posted the link above from the BBC website and they seem to be following the good news story with interest. The Belfast Telegraph had also reported it, so no need for the cynical paranoia Jimmy.

I do love the way McClean realises what a privileged position he is in though and how he relishes transforming people's lives with such gestures.

26. Thanks From: