Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hendrick M Sheffield Wednesday (loan from Newcastle) b.1992

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Yep, except that bit where Charlie over eggs Paul's wit, my credulity limits got a good stretching there.
    Don't be jealous we all know you're smart in a different kind of way. It doesn't suit you.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    He was doing some shameless charity self promotion on the six one news there to improve his image before the court case.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He'll need a lot more than shameless charity activities to counter the 24 State witnesses being called to give evidence for the prosecution.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, players do things like this all the time. He's not able to play at the moment and the FAI was organising the event, so I doubt there's anything more to it than he was free and said yes when he was asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    When is the case?

He's innocent until proven guilty but if he is found guilty of doing what is alleged is he a suitable candidate to represent our country? I'd like to know more about what actually happened. From what has been reported in the press it doesn't sound good but you couldn't believe a word they say to be fair to him.

If, and it's a big if, he did what has been alleged, is it too much of a risk to take a chance on something like this happening while he is abroad? If he was as good as Roy Keane I know I wouldn't even be thinking about this sort of thing which is massively hypocritical.

I'm torn on this one.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    He's innocent until proven guilty but if he is found guilty of doing what is alleged is he a suitable candidate to represent our country? I'd like to know more about what actually happened. From what has been reported in the press it doesn't sound good but you couldn't believe a word they say to be fair to him.
    Well the Irish Independent just quoted what the 'victim' said in court so I don't think we need to doubt what's being reported in that sense.

As for the suitable candidate thing... at worst, he got drunk and angry and things spiralled out of control. It's not nice but it's hardly worthy of terminating his international career! I'd say with footballers and athletes in general, it's so rare that they get to have a few drinks that it often blows the head off them when they let loose. That's not an excuse really but sh!t happens. Who hasn't gotten into a scuffle at some stage on a night out or woke up the next day and thought, "oh fu*k, what they hell was I thinking there!!".

Even from the allegations it's hard to know what Hendrick is being accused of after pulling your man out of the taxi, did the friends take over at that stage or was he in the middle of it leading the charge? Time will tell I suppose.

The case was adjourned to a date in April so it can't be far off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I'm thinking out loud, but it is potentially concerning behaviour. Not saying his international career needs to be ended, but (assuming the claims are true etc) he may need to do something to try to control his temper. I do think Irish players should be held to a higher standard than what the English would be prepared to accept. Everyone who is given the honour of pulling on the green jersey is an ambassador for this place. We have been blessed over the years with excellent young men and women to represent us in all sports, but it doesn't just happen by accident. Wooden spoons up and down the country had to be waved in the faces of generations of Irish children to make that happen.

But I'm only thinking out loud really. We need to hear his side of the story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I remember RMK was in the papers a lot in his early Man United days over getting drunk and into rows. Half the time he was innocent, half the time he was acting the boll!x. But he sorted himself out as he matured and removed himself from being in those situations. Hopefully Jeff follows suit.
    It certainly shouldn't affect how we think about him because 1. we weren't there 2. we've only really read the alleged victim's side of the story 3. it has nothing to do with his football
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Benefit of the doubt to him for now but the victim's side of the story is worrying alright. Makes him out to be very violent and vindictive. One part of the whole thing that I don't get is that the victim is claiming he did absolutely nothing. Not that any assault can be warranted but he makes out that the attack by the group was completely unprovoked which beggars belief and makes me wonder if there are fallacies in his account of events.

Hendrick himself actually spoke on Newstalk last night about his first season on the fringes of the first team having been on the bench for the closing game of the previous season. He stated that he went home for the summer in between and enjoyed himself too much with his mates, came back unfit and then got injured. Stated he learned a lesson there and hasn't let it happen again. Proves he's human and makes mistakes but does try to learn and clearly learned from that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm thinking out loud, but it is potentially concerning behaviour. Not saying his international career needs to be ended, but (assuming the claims are true etc) he may need to do something to try to control his temper.
    Well he seems to have two and a half years good behaviour since then so maybe he has learned from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Benefit of the doubt to him for now but the victim's side of the story is worrying alright. Makes him out to be very violent and vindictive. One part of the whole thing that I don't get is that the victim is claiming he did absolutely nothing. Not that any assault can be warranted but he makes out that the attack by the group was completely unprovoked which beggars belief and makes me wonder if there are fallacies in his account of events.
    I was wondering that as well. For there to have been no words exchanged and absolutely no reason for it starting seems odd. Either there is more to it, or Hendrick has a serious problem.

As DeLorean says though. Kept his nose clean for 2 and a half years since, which without having his side of it or any witnesses would create a seed of doubt about the guys story.

He absolutely gets the benefit of the doubt until the trial ends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I think it's a bit more serious than being provoked and slapping someone.

He instigated the fight, he dragged the - unwilling - participant out of a taxi and cowardly battered him with his mates.

He should get a small prison sentence but this is Ireland, you can glass someone on your 68th occasion before the courts and you will just get another suspended sentence.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    In the Ireland I know, the victim would have been paid off by now. And then keep schtum about it. If he's found guilty, then he should get sentenced. And like all the other cases country wide, the sentence will be suspended and he'll never see the inside of a cell.

None of which should affect the right of MON to select him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Well the Irish Independent just quoted what the 'victim' said in court so I don't think we need to doubt what's being reported in that sense.

As for the suitable candidate thing... at worst, he got drunk and angry and things spiralled out of control. It's not nice but it's hardly worthy of terminating his international career! I'd say with footballers and athletes in general, it's so rare that they get to have a few drinks that it often blows the head off them when they let loose. That's not an excuse really but sh!t happens. Who hasn't gotten into a scuffle at some stage on a night out or woke up the next day and thought, "oh fu*k, what they hell was I thinking there!!".

Even from the allegations it's hard to know what Hendrick is being accused of after pulling your man out of the taxi, did the friends take over at that stage or was he in the middle of it leading the charge? Time will tell I suppose.

The case was adjourned to a date in April so it can't be far off.
    "Who hasn't gotten into a scuffle at some stage on a night out?" Me for one and probably most people in the country.
    This was not a scuffle.
    He is being charged with violent disorder, one other is being charged with that as well as assault causing harm, more serious.

violent disorder definition

Hendricks will probably request Judge James O´Connor to be the judge
    He dismissed this case with this judgement
    Last edited by geysir; 14/04/2016 at 11:58 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    He should get a small prison sentence but this is Ireland, you can glass someone on your 68th occasion before the courts and you will just get another suspended sentence.
    OK Dad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    "Who hasn't gotten into a scuffle at some stage on a night out?" Me for one and probably most people in the country.
    Sh!t happens sometimes is all I mean, especially when young people, in particular, are fuelled with alcohol. It doesn't mean they're intrinsically bad or set out to do harm. Obviously if he's found guilty he'll get whatever punishment the court decides, but that will be that as far as I'm concerned.

This was not a scuffle.
    He is being charged with violent disorder, one other is being charged with that as well as assault causing harm, more serious.
    I meant a scuffle in the sense that it possibly started out that way and escalated. I know it's a lot more serious obviously, that he's not being charged with 'being involved in a scuffle', it was escalated to a higher ruling court after all. I was speaking in terms of the possibility of being banned from representing his country as a result of what happened.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 14/04/2016 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't think he should be prohibited from playing for Ireland but what's right is right; Joey Barton went to prison for beating the living daylights out of someone. After Hendrick receives his penance, he has an equal shot for redemption - like Joey.

But a scuffle it wasn't. It was an unprovoked, one-sided gang assault - and the lad should be ashamed of himself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Delorean, not sure which post this was on, you can call it lazy, but the Jamie Vardys are the exceptions, I am not saying something so radical as it not to be believed or uncommon. Hendrick is playing Division 1 for the last few years, and that doesn't look like its going to change this year unless Derby promote themselves. Its simple logic, the cream rises to the top. YOu call the lazy, i call it natural progression.

I could be wrong, Ireland could have a great campaign and end up in the Quarters, with Hendrick playing a pivotal role, talk of spain, germany, italy and the premiership. And a move to Norwich/West Brom materialises.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    It seems a lot more serious than a scuffle.

Having thought about it JD is probably right. Innocent or guilty it shouldn't affect the right of MON to select him on this occasion. Everyone can make a mistake, especially when drink is involved.

If it happened again it might be a different matter though. Even if he is found not guilty i think a conversation needs to happen about avoiding those situations (if it hasn't already happened).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I don't think he should be prohibited from playing for Ireland but what's right is right; Joey Barton went to prison for beating the living daylights out of someone. After Hendrick receives his penance, he has an equal shot for redemption - like Joey.

But a scuffle it wasn't. It was an unprovoked, one-sided gang assault - and the lad should be ashamed of himself.
    You sound like you were there.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast