Thread: JP gives €5 million to GAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

JP gives €5 million to GAA

Front Page of the Indo today

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=11133

BUSINESSMAN and gambler JP McManus has written a cheque for €5m to bail out the Limerick County Board.

It is the biggest single financial gift from an individual in the history of the GAA.

The money will to help clear their massive existing debt on the Gaelic Grounds in the city.

The donation was confirmed at a county board meeting last night.

And it means there is just €2m to pay off for the redevelopment of the stadium.

The cost of revamping the terraces in the Ennis Road venue over the last few years rose to €12m.

Funding from GAA's Central and Munster councils and a strong fundraising drive brought it down to €7m.

That represented a massive amount before McManus intervened.

Last weekend the venue, which can now hold up to 50,000 spectators, hosted the drawn Munster football final between Limerick and Kerry.

County Board officers were taken aback by the size of the donation, even for a man of McManus' financial background.

He had previously pledged £50m to the Government if they proceeded to build the planned National Stadium in Abbotstown on the outskirts of Dublin.

But when a decision was reached to redevelop Lansdowne Road instead the offer was withdrawn.

McManus has a strong GAA background. He was chairman of the South Liberties clubs on the fringes of the city at the age of just 19.

And he grew up with the legendary Limerick hurler and winner of five All-Star awards, Pat Hartigan.

The pair have always remained good friends.

In recent years McManus has taken to naming some of his best horses after Hartigan and other well-known South Liberties and Limerick hurlers.

These include Joe McKenna and Eamonn Grimes, captain of the last Limerick team to win an All-Ireland hurling title in 1973.

The company he owns with John Magnier, Cubic Expression, is the majority shareholder in Manchester United while only last week he hosted Tiger Woods and his US tour colleague Mark O'Meara on their annual visit to Ireland to prepare for this week's British Open.

Colm Keys

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sure he pays no taxes, no wonder he can give 5m "donation".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Sure he pays no taxes, no wonder he can give 5m "donation".
    Lots of others pay no taxes and give nothing.

Apparently the local GAA guys have been courting him for months but weren't expecting this much. He had apparently told them that he'd fund the ground if it was available for all sports in the city.

I'm sure he would also giv emoney to football if the structures were right. Better than wasting it on some foreign club.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ya I agree, at least by giving the GAA the money they had something to show for it.

Whats the point in giving money to Limerick FC in its current state just to watch it being pis sed away and receive the same begging letters in another few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Been down this road before. I spoke to one of his main advisors who I know, Walter Shanahan last year and he told me that only if there was a proper management structure at committee level, with plans to purchase a new ground, and also be able to show an auditable set of accounts, would he consider it, and if all these were in place then it was something he'd consider....
    Fat chance of that with the 3 muppets at the helm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Is it true that JP did give limerick a bit of money a while back but it was wasted or is that just a rumour??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    never heard it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backodanet
    Is it true that JP did give limerick a bit of money a while back but it was wasted or is that just a rumour??
    Apparently he gave money to Fr. Joe but it has only come out recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    That makes sense now...Fr Joe is adamant he handed over that money to a current or recent committee member, I'm not sure if he's still involved, but I think he is. Its not one of the gang of three, but one of their cronies. This could be interesting............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

lol

if ts true it would be a laugh. But the reason he gave the GAA money in the first place is as mentioned above the gaa showed ambition and went ahead and took the risk of building. look at what we're doing........i cant even say what we're doing its that bad. He also bankroles st.vincints in Dublin, milford hospice, old folks homes in the area, new heating systems in poor housing estates for old folks, contributed to local schools and has just raised his donations by way of his schlorships from CBS Sexton St.....seems like a pretty decent tax evader to me

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    if ts true it would be a laugh. But the reason he gave the GAA money in the first place is as mentioned above the gaa showed ambition and went ahead and took the risk of building. look at what we're doing........i cant even say what we're doing its that bad. He also bankroles st.vincints in Dublin, milford hospice, old folks homes in the area, new heating systems in poor housing estates for old folks, contributed to local schools and has just raised his donations by way of his schlorships from CBS Sexton St.....seems like a pretty decent tax evader to me

Tax avoider Gael tax avoider....difference could cost you a few hundred grand in a libel case

But you're right, looking at the way the government has consistently wasted money over the last few years it looks as if he has put his few bob to better use!