Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Squad VS Armenia and Andorra

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I don't think Given is too far out either; he's only three yards off his line, which is grand, I think.

Yeah, the defence was a bit sleepy, but as Stutts said, it was just one of those things.

I don't see us winning by 5 or 6 tonight. I'll reckon on us going at them early, scoring an early goal or two (say 2-0 by 30 minutes) and then sitting back. Very similar to how the game in Dublin went.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If we had scored that goal would we be diminishing its quality because of GK positioning or slack marking by a CB?
    If we had scored that goal..... difficult to imagine one of our players running from midfield onto a breaking ball in the opposition's third of the field.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    If we had scored that goal would we be diminishing its quality because of GK positioning or slack marking by a CB?

It was a super goal. Goals happen. That's why we watch football.
    Point taken, of course I wouldn't be diminishing the goal's quality. I am not doing so. However, I feel it is always important to be critical of weaknesses in order to improve upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't think Given is too far out either; he's only three yards off his line, which is grand, I think.
    I've spoken to goalkeeper coaches who feel that Given's positioning as it was is acceptable, but others (who I agree with) who argue that if he's a yard closer to his line, he's going to make a better stab at saving that shot. Obviously I'd prefer if the ball was dealt with better by the defence, but it's not like goalkeepers don't prepare for shots like that.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well he'd obviously have had a better chance if he'd been standing on his line but it was an outstanding shot - goalkeepers can't legislate for that level of accuracy. The odds were he was going to hit it low or at a comfortable height so I think Given was right to stay a step forward and narrow the angle. I don't think it would have made a huge effect either way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    They kept Italy out, they should cope OK against Andorra. SSL's leadership impresses me, as does O'D's confidence.
    Had forgot about the italy game... But I'll stand by my point. Sometimes it's more difficult for defenders to play well against weaker teams. Kelly is a prime example. Less pressure, more concentration, more time on the ball..

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789