Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundalk FC up for grabs!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Ezekial, what's the skinny on Skinny? Are the consortium back in or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Typically straight talking Gerry Matthews
    Well at least we know what side of the Dundalk board split you're on.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Ezekial, what's the skinny on Skinny? Are the consortium back in or not?
    Former Director, Ciaran 'Skinny' Bond was/is fronting a group interested in taking over ownership of the club and have said that they have €192,000 available, which would potentially wipe out the accumulated deficit of the club.

About 10 days ago they announced that they were withdrawing, quoting legal and financial complexities (which includes the €433k planning levies attached to the YDC).

The attached article from an interview last Friday gives the up to date situation -
    http://blackandwhitetown.tumblr.com/...over-proposals

The simple abridged version is that they are out of the running, but could come back in if circumstances change.

4. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    192k eh? Any idea whether they'd like to take over Harps?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Well at least we know what side of the Dundalk board split you're on.
    I didn't even know there was a board split for me to take sides on. I wait with bated breath for you to fill me in!

Naturally many supporters will have different views on the preferred way forward for the club, and some are dubious about Gerry Matthews for a variety of reasons including his preference for funding the infrastructure rather then the team.

Very few would dispute that he is a straight talking individual, whatever about any other flaws he may have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I didn't even know there was a board split for me to take sides on.
    Fair enough, was just building on Foster's comments that certain directors had agreed to bringing in players like Cian hughton while others vetoed it (and the reaction to that move and others by fans).

I assumed the recent flux regarding takeover bids/unexpected debts arising didn't help solidify the board.

Delighted to see my hypothesis was wrong
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Fair enough, was just building on Foster's comments that certain directors had agreed to bringing in players like Cian hughton while others vetoed it (and the reaction to that move and others by fans).
    Its very easy to get the wrong handle on things. The club have made it very clear that this was a unanimous decision of the board. Controversial yes, maybe hard to fathom, and certainly disaapointing for Foster, club and fans alike. But no boardroom split as suggested

I assumed the recent flux regarding takeover bids/unexpected debts arising didn't help solidify the board.
    The only outcome at board level was the resignation of Ciaran Bond who fronted a buyout group. He is a good guy who is passionate about the club, but really no surprise that he stepped down when the takover attempt was aborted.

He may well come back into the picture.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I was shot down for likening the situation to a decade ago and the Co-op, well, adventure. I almost feel that CB's attempt and now new "we'll clear off the debt if x, y and z happens" is another disaster in the making. I know plenty of people who would be very much anti-GM, though what cannot be taken away is that he did rescue the club, he did get it stable financially and if the accumulated debt (if I read it right) for the last few years is only 192,000e, christ, that's not bad. I just hope IF gets a decent send off and a slightly more experienced and astute manager comes in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Just read the Gerry Matthews Interview very big budget for a Part Time Club over 4 times ours and we are treading water .How can aeither the Trust or new investors even contemplate that kind of Budget for next season.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    gufct - Dundalk do have decent gates, the patrons do an immense amount of work and there is a lot of affection in the town for the club, plus Dundalk is a sports town. While the product/result on the pitch might not always be great, the locals will back it. I've always been frustrated visiting Galway (for football, rugby, GAA, boxing) when there is genuine talent and success/progress on show and the local council do their utmost to kill it. In Dundalk there is a little more assistance, which helps them to keep going.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd imagine Dundalk have a tougher time keeping homegrown talent and attracting players from other counties than Galway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    True, but Dublin is just down the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd imagine Dundalk have a tougher time keeping homegrown talent and attracting players from other counties than Galway.
    well the only homegrown player from dundalk in the league that would walk into our team would be Conor McCormack. probably the biggest mistake foster made in not chasing him up
    If memory serves me correct Shane Grimes (Monaghan) and Mulvenna (Drogheda) are the only other dundalk lads playing in the leage.
    We were able to attract Daniel Kearns last season, Peter Cherrie (scottish) in 2009, Dean Bennett (english), other names escape.

In relation to the takeover, I really hope the majority of our supporters grasp this opportunity and get behind the trust. The problems that face the club are difficult but they are not insurmountable once addressed.
    I would expect if the YDC issue gets sorted then the Bond consortium will be back in. My problem with this is that i feel overall it will set the club back in regard to community relations. I beleive the consortium will run the club like a cartel and only serve their own interests and not those of supporters and other stakeholders and overall will be to the long term detriment of the club. (that is only my opinion).
    I think GM tenure at the club was a great success, he saved us from the brink, brought in various revenue streams, up until a couple of years ago balanced our books and brought a sense of realism. I think the time is right for him to move on as I feel that he does not know how to move the club forward. I found this prevailent this season as we seemed to be a club in limbo with no sense of direction on how to move the club forward.
    I also believe that the DFC trust are the best people to bring the club forward with the support of the supporters
    Long Live King Kenny

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    probably the biggest mistake foster made in not chasing him up
    He did, Rovers offered him more.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    well the only homegrown player from dundalk in the league that would walk into our team would be Conor McCormack. probably the biggest mistake foster made in not chasing him up
    It’s a pity we didn’t get to sign McCormack as he seems like a cracking player. I’m not sure of the ins and outs but he was training with us last year during the summer. I’m not sure if he was offered a contract with us, but the lure in signing for Shamrock Rovers than us would be bigger than us even for a Dundalk local.
    In my opinion Foster also made a mistake by not signing two of the Brennan brothers – Ryan & Gavin. Both played in trial games here, but neither got offered contracts. Even though they can’t technically be called locals (more Drogheda) both live in close enough vicinity to Oriel.

At the moment we have a good bunch of locals. I count seven in the first team (P.Murphy, N.Murphy, Osborne, Gaynor, McDonnell, Breen, Griffin). Cian Byrne can be added to that list as he has become a regular in the past few weeks due our ongoing injury crisis. Others like Duffy, Kerr and McDonald have had small cameo roles throughout the season. Its good to see locals getting a chance for many a year they rarely featured in the first team.

If memory serves me correct Shane Grimes (Monaghan) and Mulvenna (Drogheda) are the only other dundalk lads playing in the leage.
    Just two quick questions. Drog fans, how has Mulvenna been doing since he came into your team in the summer. Mon fan, how has Shane Grimes been performing for yous?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Just read the Gerry Matthews Interview very big budget for a Part Time Club over 4 times ours and we are treading water .How can aeither the Trust or new investors even contemplate that kind of Budget for next season.
    The club is full time, plus our crowds when we came back up three years ago where averaging around 2,500, last year it was slightly down to around 2,100 and this year it started off great until the Summer hit and our crowds are down to about 1,000 a game. It did help the budget but now its not sustainable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Just read the Gerry Matthews Interview very big budget for a Part Time Club......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    The club is full time......
    IMO there is way too much importance given to the notion of 'full time' versus 'part time'.

For many people the definition appears to be the time of the day that the players train!

Dundalk train in the morning, St Pats train in the evening. Ergo Dundalk are full time and St Pats are part time? This distinction does not make much sense to me (I recall that of the St Pats circa 25 man european squad only 6-7 of them got compensation for taking time of a daytime job)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Just a heads up for Dublin based supporters:

The DFC Trust are holding meetings in Dundalk and Dublin this week.
    A workshop about the management committees which must be set up to enable the proposed fans’ takeover of the club took place on Monday night in the Lilywhite Lounge.
    We have also organised a meeting for our Dublin-based supporters for this Wednesday night, 5th October, in the Regency Hotel in Whitehall at 7.30pm. If you are interested in becoming involved, please come along.
    All supporters are invited to attend these meetings.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Dundalk train in the morning, St Pats train in the evening. Ergo Dundalk are full time and St Pats are part time? This distinction does not make much sense to me (I recall that of the St Pats circa 25 man european squad only 6-7 of them got compensation for taking time of a daytime job)
    Only players with legitimate losses were compensated as far as I know. Many employers would not "dock" the money therefore no claim arose.
    Agree with you RE Full Time/ part time. Main diffenerce is season long contracts V 52 Week contracts (and we know how that went). While it would be expected that players with no other jobs would be fitter the difference has often been marginal.

Didn't Pats have some Scandinavian style hybrid system operating ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Foster sacked and Matthews refused the combo Trust/ Bond bid. Says he wants to transfer to a fully supporter owned model on a phased basis over the next year. I'll believe it when I see it, things not looking good in Oriel Park.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc-...ith-ian-foster

http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-f...rry-matthews-2

Current owner and CEO of Dundalk FC Gerry Matthews, has confirmed his intention to transfer the ownership of the club into the hands of the people of the town and to become a Supporter-Owned and operated football club within the coming year.Because of the pressing requirements of Club Licencing for the 2012 season and the legal complexities of finalising this transfer, it is intended to manage the ownership transfer on a transitional basis with completion of the formalities targeted for 2012. A new board of management including supporter, business and community representation is to be constituted with a view to managing and guiding the club towards completing this smooth transition to a Supporter Owned model.

Gerry Matthews said “It has always been my desire and intention to handover the ownership of the club to the supporters and community of Dundalk, and I share the view of the Dundalk FC Trust that the clubs long term interests will be best served by the club being supporter / community owned and operated as opposed to the private ownership alternative”
    “My wish is to step down as CEO and from the management board when the new board is fully operational and to hand over full day-to-day executive powers to this group which will consist of supporters and community members. I have had very positive discussions with the DFC Trust group who I envisage having a pivotal role to play in both the immediate and long term success of the club. With the deadline for licensing applications fast approaching and with many other footballing matters an immediate priority, it is important that we create stability and a clear vision for the immediate future. I hope to be in a position to be able to provide more details and the specifics of the transition plan within the coming days. With the club being placed directly into the hands of the supporters and community of the town , I feel a strong enthusiasm and optimism about the future of the football club”

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast