Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Athlone Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Athlone Game

What a weird game. Thought we were well worth a win but made appalling basic defending mistakes. Timmy Lynch was impressive for the first hour - but faded badly. I think he and Finny could work well together though. We were very light in the centre. I missed Brendan Sweeney badly yesterday. He would have owned that game. Conor Molan is a fine player but he is not a central midfielder.

I thought Mernagh and O'Brien did well up front - didn't get the break they needed. On that note I really think the fans are being really tough on CP. I think there is a bit of a throwback to the start of the season so that now whenever he does try something himself he gets blasted out of it. He is no more selfish than Steve O'Flynn - and he actually laid a lot of ball off on Saturday night. He is one of our best players - and I think he has potential to be the main man in that team.

Thought Keogh was poor enough and Rossie did no covering back at all.

The two subs made no impact. I thought Dave Conway coming on looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. All he needed was a cigarette and a pint to complete the look of disinterest. Maybe I am being unfair on the guy and maybe its just his way but he could have seemed more up for it.

It was a really disappointing day - hard to knwo where the spark for this season is going to come from. Heads dropped after the first Athlone goal - when we should have been confident enough that we were on top. As for Graham Loughman making a save in the last few minutes...
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, are the players under contract NOT to shoot when they are at the edge of the box.I too was at the match on Sat. evening and thought after a half an hour the game was ours.I have seen Rossi getting to the edge of the box on numerous occasions only to pass when having a shot is the better option.We are trying to walk the ball into the net, or look for CP to be there.As he is up front on his own most of the time the midfielders should offer some support to him but they seem quite content to sit in the middle of the park and watch on like the rest of us.We are playing like individuals instead of a team.Look at Greece, at bunch of ordinary Joes now European Champions.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was at the game ...Only My Third of the season im sorry to say But I thought Limerick should have beaten Athlone who are poor to say the least ...Limerick just arent Physical enough all over the park ...They were getting pushed off the Ball too easily ...But i was impressed with Rossi at least he tried to take Players on ...The new Guy Cahill did well and he was bound to get tired...Finnucane looked like he wanted to be elsewhere in my opinion and Mick Aherne is just not good enough...I think O'Brien could pass it a bit more especially back to the edge of the box.Someone should tell him that he doesent have to go Forward all the time...And why do most of the players eg O'Brien and Hartnett have to turn onto there better foot instead of even swinging there weeker foot...The balls are so light these days its well worth a swinger..especially inside the Box..By the time they switched feet the chanc is gone...There is hope though...I think they just need a win at home...I have been fairly impressed with there play when i saw them Bray at home ...should have won that one too ..but seem to drop there heads when they concede a goal

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The new Guy Cahill did well and he was bound to get tired...sorry meant Lynch not Cahill...thinking of Millwall or something... Tim Cahill