Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the success of one team in Europe benefit the league as a whole?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Perhaps the whole 'Does the success of one team in Europe benefit the league as a whole' could be made into a different thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Champions League group stage is years upon years away.

No one gives a toss about the Europa League group stage.

What was the question again??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

The question, as always, was "How much are Limerick paying Joe Gamble?"

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    The question, as always, was "How much are Limerick paying Joe Gamble?"
    €1900 a week after tax is the latest rumour knocking around.

All I know is I saw them training the other night and he has a solid gold car.

And a fur coat.

And a crown!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They're mid-table half way through the season; hardly "on the verge of relegation".

But that's kind of the point being argued - Rosenborg's success brought increased TV deals, increased interest to the league, more investors, etc, and now the other clubs have caught up.
    Yeah I was agreeing with that, thought it was implied

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

why would you care about the champ league either then, its not like youll be in it?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Yeah I was agreeing with that, thought it was implied
    Ah right. Sometimes it's just second nature to assume someone else on the internet is just a bit slow.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    €1900 a week after tax is the latest rumour knocking around.

All I know is I saw them training the other night and he has a solid gold car.

And a fur coat.

And a crown!!!
    But no BBC sound effects? Limerick must be cutting back
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    When talking about money Rovers will make, I think it should be noted how much, who aren't in Europe this season, might make from the sale of McClean.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Improves how the public views the league, improves the co-efficient, attracts extra publicity..... how does it not benefit St Pat's?
    Shels success did NOTHING for any team in the League. Whats to suggest Rovers success would do any different? In fact, chasing the Shels success almost led to the capitulation of a number of teams, including yours and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Thing is thats only a fraction of the point being made marinoIsCloserToshels. Tv and add revenue are as any club of Premier League and recently relegated Division 1 teams willl tell you is actually where the real money is made. But still the point is there are other means than bums on seats(or feet on terraces), though it is obviously very important too.
    WTF is this supposed to mean? Do you have any concept of what Irish football entails? If you do you wouldnt be trying to compare a Premier League teams business model with an Irish teams. We dont make money off TV and add revenue. We make money for the most part off sponsorship and fundraising. Even income from attendances is negligible.

What we should be doing is selling our best players for a fair price to our neighbours across the sea. That is where we can really make money as Legendz above alludes to in reference to McLean. We just havent developed the structure in the clubs yet and the FAI either dont recognise or else dont support the concept.

Paul, i cant stop you being a cheerleader/critic of Irish teams one month a year but dont try and get involved in something you have no knowledge of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Shels success did NOTHING for any team in the League.
    That's just not true. Like it or not, the co-efficient points are important. Shels winning the few matches they did helped other teams be seeded, and so get into a second round against higher-profile opposition. It may only be small, but it's demonstrably not "NOTHING".

And also, of course, they didn't get into any group stages.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You are missing the point again and getting clouded by the fact that I am not a supporter of any LOI club. You don't have to be a FAN to have knowledge of how a business works, and being cold and calculated here, that is the point I am trying to make, you are very short sighted and getting fazed by my standing as a non-attending person of LOI(similar to yourself, whatever you contribute to the internet/Money Transfer i dont know).

From a business model, whether or not you are a LOI fan, its about revenue through many different streams. Tv, add, commercial etc, would increase if more people were watching LOI games on TV as well as but not necessarily including more fans attending games, , this has nothing to do with you as an individual fan. YOu need to see past this.

Your second point is intrinsically linked to the point of clubs diong better in europe and getting to the group stages. Its still relatively a gamble for a lot of English sides to spend substantially on Irish players. If they kept getting to see them at Group stages of EL/CL groups then they would be showcasing at the highest level their talents, and their fees would represent that. At the moment they shoudl certainly have better sell on/appearances/goals etc clauses in the selling contracts.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 28/07/2011 at 4:10 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    granted co-effieicents are useful. But they are useful primarily to one team and thereafter only to approximately one quarter of all the teams in Irish football - the ones that get to play in Europe - in a given five year period. What did Shels success do for Kilkenny City? What will a Rovers success do for Longford Town? Its extremely hard to find any tangible benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Again, Shels didn't qualify for the group stages of anything.

If they bump the profile of the league up, and that encourages more sponsors and maybe a bigger TV deal, that'd benefit Longford Town.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    You are missing the point again and getting clouded by the fact that I am not a supporter of any LOI club. You don't have to be a FAN to have knowledge of how a business works, and being cold and calculated here, that is the point I am trying to make, you are very short sighted and getting fazed by my standing as a non-attending person of LOI(similar to yourself, whatever you contribute to the internet/Money Transfer i dont know).

From a business model, whether or not you are a LOI fan, its about revenue through many different streams. Tv, add, commercial etc, would increase if people were watching LOI games on TV as opposed to at the grounds, this has nothing to do with you as an individual fan. YOu need to see past this.
    I contribute a significant amount of my money to a number of Bohs related initiatives on a monthly basis. I also attended games for years until I left. Dont try and compare me to yourself.

Your recent post says something entirely different to the original post i quoted. Its still pie in the sky stuff. What hope do we have of people watching on TV if they wont come to the grounds. Getting people through the gates is our first challenge and will lead to the rest. To reverse it like you suggest is totally unachievable in the short term and certainly not advantageous to the league as a whole when it occurs temporarily because one team has been a success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Again, Shels didn't qualify for the group stages of anything.

If they bump the profile of the league up, and that encourages more sponsors and maybe a bigger TV deal, that'd benefit Longford Town.
    i didnt say they did. The thread title says success. The Shels run is still the most high profile run that did capture the publics attention in a significant way.

The second point makes massive assumptions and possibilities ("if", "encourages", "maybe") as opposed to anything concrete. Its a stretch and you know it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Paul makes a very good point about player transfers. At the moment, teams are unwilling to take a risk paying a decent transfer fee on an unknown quantity in the LOI. With a higher profile, LOI players in general will be worth more, and UK teams can judge them against a better-known quantity in Shamrock Rovers.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    The thread title says success.
    Way too literal. Success in the context of this thread has been accepted to be qualification for the group stages of the CL or the UEFA Cup.

The second point makes massive assumptions and possibilities ("if", "encourages", "maybe") as opposed to anything concrete. Its a stretch and you know it.
    It's not a stretch at all. It's what's happened in other leagues, like Norway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So do you think that Irish fans of PL clubs etc, first went to the ground to see "their" team play? Do you think irish people go to see wrestilng? OR go to boxing matches? No but if there is a big fight on or whatever they are all interested.

I agree that the priority should be getting fans to the ground. This is not necessarily done in the traditional sense. When do you think for example Munster "fans" started going to their games? Do you think all of them went to their games and then more just joined the wagon when they started winning things and there were no tickets left? No they watched on TV first and got an interest through that, now loads of people attend Munster matches.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

From a business model, whether or not you are a LOI fan, its about revenue through many different streams. Tv, add, commercial etc, would increase if more people were watching LOI games on TV as well as but not necessarily including more fans attending games, , this has nothing to do with you as an individual fan. YOu need to see past this.

Your second point is intrinsically linked to the point of clubs diong better in europe and getting to the group stages. Its still relatively a gamble for a lot of English sides to spend substantially on Irish players. If they kept getting to see them at Group stages of EL/CL groups then they would be showcasing at the highest level their talents, and their fees would represent that. At the moment they shoudl certainly have better sell on/appearances/goals etc clauses in the selling contracts.

Paul are you in Mayo or is your location just BS and if so why dont you support either Rovers or GUFC? This is not a wind up question but really dont understand why.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast