Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limerick vs Real Madrid (1980, not now, obviously!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Limerick vs Real Madrid (1980, not now, obviously!)

I've been asked by When Saturday Comes (an English football mag) to write an article on Limerick FC's greatest day. I've decided to chose the Real Madrid match, probably the one at Landsdowne. I was wondering whether any of you lot were at the match so I could get a couple of comments about the day. Also, was the Kevin Fitz that played that day the lad who is Limerick coach now?

Thanks,

PS I'm a Limerick fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I was only 12 at the time, but my da took us up to lansdowne for the game. Lost 2-1, I remember Dessie Kennedys goal well. We went wild. He scored in the away leg as well, making him the only player to score home and away against Real Madrid in the European Cup.( Maybe that changed this season).Real had Laurie Cunningham playing for them that day. He also played for Man U, and unfortunately died in a car crash some time later. The attendance was disappointing that day, but what a day!!
    Fitzys da, Kevin was the goalie.
    The date was Sept 17 1980. Dessie Kennedy put us 1-0 up on 51 mins, until Juanito(71) and Pineda (85) cost us our most famous ever victory.
    Limerick Team: Kevin Fitzpatrick; Pat Nolan, Joe O'Mahoney, Brendan Storan, Jimmy Nodwell(rep Mike Pyan);Gerry Duggan(Johnny Matthews), Eoin Hand, Tony Meaney, Johnny Walsh;Dessie Kennedy, Tony Morris
    Last edited by joeSoap; 22/06/2004 at 1:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ox, I can send you on some stuff - photocopies of the Leader report and a preview of the game etc if you send me on your address by PM.

The attendance was a measly 6,000. According to reports (I wasn't there) Limerick were really robbed. Played really well, hit the post and had a goal disallowed.

The Real side also included Camacho (future Real and Spain manager I think). Uli Stielike was also playing with Real.

Real went on to the final and were beaten by Liverpool 1-0. They let in only 4 goals in that campaign - one in the final, one against Inter in the semi and 2 against Limerick. The Liverpool goal was scored by Alan Kennedy so three of the four goals were scored by Kennedys.

Check out this website - but don't believe it all - it sayst he game was played in Hogan Park.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL...687/index.html

Also, Deise used have some useful stuff on his website. http://www.geocities.com/limerickfc2003/

When is the article going to appear?
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the ox
    Also, was the Kevin Fitz that played that day the lad who is Limerick coach now?
    No its not.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I was at both games.

We outplayed them at Lansdowne for long periods - Johnny Matthews had a great headed goal disallowed for offside and it looked onside. Des Kennedy scored and ran to the acclaim of the empty south terrace.

Real's penalty was very harsh - guy went around Fitzy out wide and fell over him as the ball was trickling wide. they took control then and the winner was always coming but they were really rattled before that.

Return was magic - went 2 down early on but Dessie scored again with a header from a freekick just before the break. We held out until about 20 minutes to go and then the floodgates opened. 60,000 in the Bernabeu with about 60-70 from Limerick. We had a great view of Dessie's goal too being level with the penalty box.

The reason the crowd was only about 5,000 was due to an outcry at the game being moved to Dublin. UEFA were imposing heavy fines for pitch incursions and Thomond Park was considered to be too open. There was a lot of bitterness over the decision and many boycotted. The club thought they'd cash in like Waterford did bringing Man Utd and celtic to Lansdowne when Utd were holders and celtic were beaten finalists but Real Madrid weren't the same draw to the Dublin footballing public. Furthermore that great Waterford side had a lot of admirers in Dublin whereas we were considered a flash in the pan. There were no scheduled buses and trains back to Limerick either on a wednesday night and the country was a basket case at the time - massive unemployment, high taxes etc. Needless to say it was a financial disaster.

BTW we wanted Liverpool or Nottm Forest in the draw. Bayern Munich were the other high profile team. Real did go on to reach the final but it was not a great side although they tightened their defence and only Inter manaaged to score against them until Alan Kennedy got the late winner in the final. Of course there was no Sky sports in those days with La Liga coverage

I don't think it was our greatest day btw. For me watching Limerick winning the league in Athlone in 1980 was the best day. I know the shield win in 53 was huge as it was our first national trophy. League win in 60 was a bit of an anti climax as we lost to Pats and only won the league because Celtic beat Shels. I was consiered too young to go to Dalymount in 71 for the Cup Final but that was also really special considering all the heartbreak in that competition. Beating Bohs at a neutral Dalyer in the 82 Cup final was good too

Remember we also drew with Southampton at the Dell (Keegan, Channon, Ball et al) - they won 7 of their first 8 home games that season and how Tony Morris managed to get the ball over the bar from 4 yards out with 4 minutes left still amazes me. We also lost out 2-1 to AZ67 (beaten UEFA Cup finalists previous year) having outplayed them in Limerick and had chances in Alkmaar to nick an away goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gary will certainly know the answer to this but here is a teaser for Limerick fans. You can send me a PM with the answer so as not to ruin it for others. I'll post the answer ina few days.

Only one Limerick player has scored for Limerick in European competition in Limerick. Who is it?

By the way it is not a trick question about rugby players or own goals etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would it be alright if I used a couple of your quotes then, Gary? ie Limerick supporter Gary Spain remembers Kennedy's goal. "Des Kennedy etc"

Not sure when it'll be appearing for sure. line's last week in July so prob for October edition, at a guess. I'll let ye know.

PS 'LFC in exile' will you be at the next home game? Or does exile mean exactly that?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Would it be alright if I used a couple of your quotes then, Gary? ie Limerick supporter Gary Spain remembers Kennedy's goal. "Des Kennedy etc"

Not sure when it'll be appearing for sure. line's last week in July so prob for October edition, at a guess. I'll let ye know.

PS 'LFC in exile' will you be at the next home game? Or does exile mean exactly that?!
    Feel free to go ahead.

You could also try calling Dessie - He's an auto electrician in Garryowen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At this stage I'm about 90% that I will be at the Athlone game. I'll bring the stuff up with me. Do you know any of the SC guys? If so they'll point me out to you. Otherwise I'll meet you at the pool table in the club house straight after the first half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    Gary will certainly know the answer to this but here is a teaser for Limerick fans. You can send me a PM with the answer so as not to ruin it for others. I'll post the answer ina few days.

Only one Limerick player has scored for Limerick in European competition in Limerick. Who is it?

By the way it is not a trick question about rugby players or own goals etc.

By the way the answer or the question is Pat Nolan, that classy full-back. He scored in the Markets Field against AZ 67 Alkmaar in the Cup Winners Cup in 82/3. Dick O'Connor scored in Dalymount PArk and Des Kennedy's goal was scored in Lansdowne Road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    BTW I still have both tickets and both programmes. My Dad can do copies if you wish and bring them to the Athlone game.

Note like most Spanish tickets it doesn't mention Limerick just game number. Programme called us Limerich. Bit ironic really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

photos

of the game in Madrid ar on the walls of the gate bar and i thinks its moulenauxs down by watergate flats. i tried robbing them once but had to leg it for cafe lazio for safety!!Theres also a brill photo of the 53 team up on the wall in Pike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LFC in exile

Yeah I'll see you at the pool table at start of half time if you read this in time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Had already left for Limerick before seeing this. Left you an e-mail - let me know and I'll psot them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I'll see you at the pool table at start of half time if you read this in time
    Sorry Ox, missed you yesterday - but I was hanging around that table until Gael set up shop. Didn't matter anyway because of course I had left teh stuff at home. If you PM your address I'll send it on to you or else I'll defo see you at the UCD game on the 17th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

johnny matthews' disallowed goal

Can anyone tell me what stage of the match Matthews' goal was disallowed? ie what score or what minute.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Can anyone tell me what stage of the match Matthews' goal was disallowed? ie what score or what minute.

Thanks
    Definitely first half - about 25 minutes in if I remember correctly - obviously 0-0 at the time. Left wing cross he ghosted in at the back post and headed in.

I have that stuff photocopied for you if you answer your e-mail or pms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for that info

thanks very much. the deadline's today so it's too late. the internet's very slow here so it's a labour to do anything on it! the offer is much appreciated though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Jeez......all that for nothing eh??...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Read your artcile Ox!

Very informative and certainly brought back a lot of happy memories. Some fine photos too.

I was interested in you saying that the main reason for moving the match to Dublin was concerns over pitch invasions. I don't remember this being mentioned at the time. Do you have any more insights you can give us?

Thx,

The Voice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast