Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Markets Field Renovations??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Things don't sound as definite as they did just 4 days ago. This is from limerickfc.ie-
    At half-time in that match, Chairman Pat O’Sullivan revealed the club’s HOPE to be back in their spiritual home of the Markets Field when next March rolls around.

Lee J Lynch on limerickfc.ie-
    “It’s great that we’re going to the Markets Field and HOPEFULLY it’s done right and the fans can enjoy it as well as us playing there.”

There's a lot of HOPE there. I hope I'm wrong but I'll believe it when I see it with my own two eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Saying that expecting crowds of 2500 is optimistic is being nice to be perfectly honest its stupidity on the part of the club if they really think that and if that is what is needed to stay afloat we may as well wrap it up now. What was even more stupid is the very next sentence after saying we needed 2500 of a crowd he says we won't be signing any big name players. If and to me its still a big if we will be in the Markets Field next season then we need to have a way stronger team then we have now we need to be challenging for europe at least do what we did at the start of this season and start with a weaker squad then we had at the end of the last one and the move back will have been wasted.

If they go back there its the clubs last chance to get things done right so far in the premier I don't think they have.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    i trust the chairman..if he says we will be back in the MF for march then so be it,and guess what..yes we will get 2,500 to our games,well the first two or three games anyway when all and sundry[yee all know them,,barstoolers,ex players who probably attend 1 game a year,the mayor and his,her fellow protectors of shannonside,the last of the ouldfellows who populated the ...popular side..500 kids etc etc]will make their presence felt,then it will revert to type depending on results ie.poor results 300 to 600 ,good results 600 to 1000,excellent results 1000 to 1500.in terms of survival in money terms POS has spoilt the club and that cant continue,some club suits need to buck up and work hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    i trust the chairman..if he says we will be back in the MF for march then so be it,and guess what..yes we will get 2,500 to our games,well the first two or three games anyway when all and sundry[yee all know them,,barstoolers,ex players who probably attend 1 game a year,the mayor and his,her fellow protectors of shannonside,the last of the ouldfellows who populated the ...popular side..500 kids etc etc]will make their presence felt,then it will revert to type depending on results ie.poor results 300 to 600 ,good results 600 to 1000,excellent results 1000 to 1500.in terms of survival in money terms POS has spoilt the club and that cant continue,some club suits need to buck up and work hard.
    Like the first 2 or 3 times he said it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Limerick deserve support from the city and county. They are putting in the hard work. Limerick should be getting 2000 regardless of being 6th or 10th. A return to the Markets Field should be enough of a statement of intent. I've had only positives to say about being at the Sligo game last Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Limerick deserve support from the city and county. They are putting in the hard work. Limerick should be getting 2000 regardless of being 6th or 10th. A return to the Markets Field should be enough of a statement of intent. I've had only positives to say about being at the Sligo game last Friday.
    Careful with the positivity there Legendz it's not a welcome trait on this board especially when it comes to the Markets Field move!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    They don't just deserve support you have to go and get it in this league and there is no way what was happening at the club this season deserved 2000 a week not a hope. Not trying to be negative but have to be realistic we ended last season with a stronger squad than we started this one before first game of the season a load of people didn't even know the team were back due to complete lack of advertising. You play well you get the support but our club has done things backwards the 2 seasons they have been in the premier both times they have brought in the good quality of player mid season when we have absolutely nothing to play for anyway and from listening to the word going around at the minute it looks like we could start next season without Lee J Lynch, Rory Gaffney, Barry Ryan and Sam Oji not a great start if that turns out to be true.

Pat O Sullivan said in one sentence last week that we needed 2500 at games in the very next sentence he said there would be no big signings I mean ya Pat has done great things but what a completely stupid thing to say. We need big signings and we need a quality team to start in the Markets Field if that doesn't happen the last chance the club will have to capture the imagination of Limerick soccer people will have been wasted.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    There does seem to be a certain disconnect in the clubs thinking, some kind of "Build it and they will come". Results, results, results. That's the one thing guaranteed to get more people in the door. If the club could retain the current squad they could give a euro challenge a right go next season, but, as others have said, that seems unlikely.

I have a feeling that POS might be tiring of being the clubs benefactor and getting nowhere with the attendance issue. If the Market's Field is open for business and the training ground plan comes into fruition, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him walk away.

Anyway, we all know how fickle the crowds can be. You can have a great squad, a perfect Market's Field and good football, and Limerick would still struggle to get that 2500 number regularly.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    There does seem to be a certain disconnect in the clubs thinking, some kind of "Build it and they will come". Results, results, results. That's the one thing guaranteed to get more people in the door. If the club could retain the current squad they could give a euro challenge a right go next season, but, as others have said, that seems unlikely.

I have a feeling that POS might be tiring of being the clubs benefactor and getting nowhere with the attendance issue. If the Market's Field is open for business and the training ground plan comes into fruition, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him walk away.

Anyway, we all know how fickle the crowds can be. You can have a great squad, a perfect Market's Field and good football, and Limerick would still struggle to get that 2500 number regularly.
    The only time we would get numbers like that a few weeks in a row is a tittle run in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    2500 is complete pie in the sky stuff. It's the equivalent of Cork getting a six or seven thousand average. Won't be happening.

The banality of a statement like we need 2500 to break even should be plain for everyone to see aswell. Quite literally plucked out of the arse.

We will actually sell out our first game back, there'll be 2000 odd at the second game then depending on the squad it'll be 600 - 1500 for the rest of the season.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It's a hard one to call lads. I remember the Eoin Hand era and the Markets Field was rocking more often than not - but I also saw it fairly empty. We got fairly decent crowds for a period in Rathbane too. The Billy Hamilton side often drew large crowds because the football on offer was of a good standard and we had a really decent home record. It all depends on the football on offer. People want to watch a winning team end of story. How many would Cork and Dundalk have if they were mid-table? Look at Derry City - they have huge support when they're challenging but they're crowds are similar to ours when mid-table and they don't have the distraction of rugby. The LoI doesn't attract a large loyal fan-base that will support their team through thick and thin - tis a small few who do unfortunately. 2500+ would be reasonable enough if we are challenging. 1500+ if on a good cup run. 600-1000 if mid-table would be my predictions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    @ bluewhitearmy - I think they deserve more support is what I'm saying. You're right though regards having to get it. There clearly needs to be better advertising ahead of the start of a season. It's hard to say regards the squad strength compared with the end of the season before. How long are the contracts? Are the finances available? Hopefully lessons will have been learned.
    I think a point POS is trying to make is that Limerick need to bring through their own talent. I have no problem with that. He could however communicate that point better. He made a point regards Clare and North Tipperary. Do Limerick have a visible connection with these areas. What about my own county of Kerry?? We aren't exactly too far away like! I live in Limerick so it's grand. Listowel and as far as Tralee even should be reached out to. There's a challenge there for Limerick. It's a challenge which should be taken on as well. Cork hads aspirations at one time to dominate the Munster area. Should Limerick have similar ambitions? Limerick is more likely to get support from outside than Cork!!
    Big signings will be great but depends on funds. Stability at the club is more important.

@ NeverFeltBetter - There does appear to be a "build it and they will come mentality" alright. In fairness Limerick are doing work within the community from what I'm aware of. The challenge is getting that word out there and getting it heard. Results, results, results are great but there needs to be a more solid foundation than that alone. Limerick are where they should be in the top half of the Premier.
    POS in fairness can only do so much to be fair. He has done a lot. As outlined by some, there are areas that can be improved on. Are people in a position to help the club out with that?!

@ Lim till i die - 2500 is a fair enough target. I thought it was fair comment. That is the support Limerick require on a regular basis. Getting that support is the challenge. I take your point that it's a figure plucked out of the air in some respects but it's still a valid point to make. It's great POS has that ambition. How can he achieve it though? The "build it and they will come mentality" will not do. It requires a lot of hard work and consistent and maintained hard work.

The move in to Thomond Park when Galway was the only alternative and the efforts to return to the Markets Field should not be under estimated. It comes across to me as a massive effort and deserving of support from the association football public.

Returning to an earlier point regards neighbouring counties. Limerick does not have a B team but possibly they should look at taking on league selections from Clare, Tipperary and Kerry on a regular-ish basis and look into raising their profile there as well.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    @ bluewhitearmy - I think they deserve more support is what I'm saying. You're right though regards having to get it. There clearly needs to be better advertising ahead of the start of a season. It's hard to say regards the squad strength compared with the end of the season before. How long are the contracts? Are the finances available? Hopefully lessons will have been learned.
    I think a point POS is trying to make is that Limerick need to bring through their own talent. I have no problem with that. He could however communicate that point better. He made a point regards Clare and North Tipperary. Do Limerick have a visible connection with these areas. What about my own county of Kerry?? We aren't exactly too far away like! I live in Limerick so it's grand. Listowel and as far as Tralee even should be reached out to. There's a challenge there for Limerick. It's a challenge which should be taken on as well. Cork hads aspirations at one time to dominate the Munster area. Should Limerick have similar ambitions? Limerick is more likely to get support from outside than Cork!!
    Big signings will be great but depends on funds. Stability at the club is more important.

@ Lim till i die - 2500 is a fair enough target. I thought it was fair comment. That is the support Limerick require on a regular basis. Getting that support is the challenge. I take your point that it's a figure plucked out of the air in some respects but it's still a valid point to make. It's great POS has that ambition. How can he achieve it though? The "build it and they will come mentality" will not do. It requires a lot of hard work and consistent and maintained hard work.
    Its not hard to say regard the strength of the squad at all we had the same budget as last season according to anyone you talk to at the club and we started the season a lot weaker than we ended the previous one, we have now done this season what we did last season and end the season with a far stronger squad than we started with so now we need to build on that and not go backwards before next season again. The less said about this whole bringing through our own talent the better I have been told how much has been spent on the 19s team over I think it was 3 years and it was absolutely ridiculous Pat O Sullivan has people in the club absolutely throwing his money out the window he may aswell burn it sometimes. I wont say the exact figures I was told but if you had taken a fraction of it and put it to the first team then we would have been challenging for Europe guaranteed instead we got 3 years of failure from the 19s with not one single player good enough to come through to the first team. The 19s of the last few years have had the Manager, Assistant manager, Fitness Coach ( I think), Sports Scientist and a few others all working with them and we have gotten nothing from them the last time our 19s were worthwhile is when it was being run by basically the lads that are over the 11s or 12s now they had one manager one coach and money for pizza after games and they went and got us Dave O'Leary.

Im sorry but you are just plain wrong there in your answer to LTID it isn't a fair enough target its utter nonsense may as well have said 4-5000 while he was at it it wont be happening on a regular basis unless we are challenging to win the league . I can't see how it can be plucked from the air and also be a valid point really.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It's amazing when you actually look at when this thread was started we were told work was starting on the Markets Field soon. That was in 2011.

One thing that still worries me was when Pat said he is confident the markets field will be ready "around" the start of the season. What does that mean? Where will we play if it isn't?

A lad tried to tell me last night that a Limerick player told him Thomond Park was 200k to rent this season and the team in total cost €1million to run. I don't know where he plucked those figures from but surely that can't be right.

The club are doing great work behind the scenes and around the club but the first team has been mismanaged in the sense of money being wasted. We have supposedly spent similar to some of the top teams but not had anywhere near the same return.

Anyone I know that is a regular is still pessimistic about the markets field and you can't blame them.

We need another update soon on a few things like:

Is it still going to be only available for a certain amount of games?
    Is the capacity still going to be around 2,500 and if we have a bigger crowd expected we have to move to thomond park?
    Are the plans still the same as the original ones with the small away stand behind one end and a few steps the rest of the way around?
    Are there still going to be no toilets for people on the opposite side to the stand?
    Is the bar (which is fully kitted out) still not going to be opened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Im sorry but you are just plain wrong there in your answer to LTID it isn't a fair enough target its utter nonsense may as well have said 4-5000 while he was at it it wont be happening on a regular basis unless we are challenging to win the league . I can't see how it can be plucked from the air and also be a valid point really.
    POS said he cannot be a "sugar daddy" anymore. He then expressed an opinion that the club needs 2500 on a regular basis to be self sufficient. I can only imagine that figure is based on current finances. Some disagree with that figure. Possibly he inflated it by 25%. 2500 doesn't seem too far off the mark from a financial perspective. It's hard to see where the club would be without the investment from POS. Is a membership based model possible in Limerick?
    I agree there are lessons to be learned. Do supporters have a platform from which to ask these questions and get answers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    2500 is absolutely a figure plucked out of the air, it means nothing, it probably just sounded like a nice round figure in someone's head.

Would 2500 fanciful as it is even make you self sufficient?? It would in its nelly.

You'd have maybe 20 grand of gate receipts every two weeks.

Now say youve a **** hot commercial department bringing in another 5 grand every two weeks.

That's 25 grand every two weeks.

That's 50 grand a month.

500 grand over the season.

Say your shut hot commercial department got you a brilliant jersey sponsor best one in league call it another 150 grand.

So you've 650 grand.

You wouldn't run Athlone Town with it.

Every club in the league either has special circumstances or some eejit writing a big cheque or both.

Tak of self sufficiency and minimum crowds is rubbish. Take of completely unrealistic minimum crowds from a chairman is counter productive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring/

One thing that still worries me was when Pat said he is confident the markets field will be ready "around" the start of the season. What does that mean? Where will we play if it isn't?

A lad tried to tell me last night that a Limerick player told him Thomond Park was 200k to rent this season and the team in total cost €1million to run. I don't know where he plucked those figures from but surely that can't be right.
    Whatever about the rent but I'd be amazed if it was only costing a million quid a year to run the club.

Take a (conservative) 12k a week all in for the senior team. There's half a million there.

And that's before you get into admin staff 19s staff thomond training medical insurance stockless shops apartments ghanaians travel referees league fees utilities etc etc

Tis a bit of a whack more than a million I'd say...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Tak of self sufficiency and minimum crowds is rubbish. Take of completely unrealistic minimum crowds from a chairman is counter productive.
    While I understand your point, what's the point of any of this if self-sufficiency isn't achievable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    While I understand your point, what's the point of any of this if self-sufficiency isn't achievable?
    It's football.

Anyone who has gotten into football since the maximum wage was abolished thinking it's anything other than a giant hole for putting your money into needs their head examining.

The burden could be lightened an awful lot if our 19's started producing talent to flog to England but that wont be happening any time soon, certainly not in the short term.

I suppose having been in Hogan Park, Jackman, Pike, Hogan Park again, Jackman again and finally Thomond and having seen six chairmen come and go I'm kinda lulled into this (false?!) sense of security that there'll always be a Limerick in some shape or form.

The doom mongering from the chairman is hardly going to help with attracting a new wodge of money though. If you were in Thomond Park last week and had a few bob to spend and heard that speech would you get involved??

If Pat went in the morning I'd be fairly confident we'd cobble something together between the lot of us. Instead of being a poor Premier Division side we'd go back to being a terrible First Division side. I'd still be there, the lads I go with would still be there, Limerick FC in a heap, same as it ever was.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The less said about this whole bringing through our own talent the better I have been told how much has been spent on the 19s team over I think it was 3 years and it was absolutely ridiculous Pat O Sullivan has people in the club absolutely throwing his money out the window he may aswell burn it sometimes. I wont say the exact figures I was told but if you had taken a fraction of it and put it to the first team then we would have been challenging for Europe guaranteed instead we got 3 years of failure from the 19s with not one single player good enough to come through to the first team. The 19s of the last few years have had the Manager, Assistant manager, Fitness Coach ( I think), Sports Scientist and a few others all working with them and we have gotten nothing from them the last time our 19s were worthwhile is when it was being run by basically the lads that are over the 11s or 12s now they had one manager one coach and money for pizza after games and they went and got us Dave O'Leary.

Im sorry but you are just plain wrong there in your answer to LTID it isn't a fair enough target its utter nonsense may as well have said 4-5000 while he was at it it wont be happening on a regular basis unless we are challenging to win the league . I can't see how it can be plucked from the air and also be a valid point really.[/QUOTE]

Don't know how big the budget is for u 19s but speaking to a couple of players and there is no special treatment , they have a manager and a coach and he is a FAI DO so I doubt if he costs and get sandwiches after a game so the boys must of had a few quid to get pizzas Agree on oleary wry to an extent but he was brought through into a first division team and had one ok prem season with us and hasn't got a look in at cork , your always only going to bring one or two even from the best teams , cork have won the u 19s league since it started and probably have brought 3 or 4 through . Looking at the table this year they seem to be doing ok with what looks to be an average squad on paper , btw do they play all games in Fairview or are some still on in Annacotty .. Some websites say annacotty others say fairview ?

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast