Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 32 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Erm, yeah, just like I've been saying all along...

In seriousness, I hadn't expected that as turning down a call-up seems to go against what he'd said previously on sticking with us:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grealish
    If I'm enjoying it with Ireland and I won't be pressured into playing for England.... For the next couple of years, I want to play for Ireland.
    Hopefully, he'll decide that he wants to continue with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Always sceptical when there are no quotes in the article. I don't see why O'Neill would need to meet with him. As things stand he's Irish, so just call him up if he wants him in the squad. This time and space craic is a load of nonsense and, if true, we're living in a ghastly world where TOWK had a point all along.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I think it's interesting that the piece is by John Fallon and not in the main article by McDonnell. At least it's not a DJ making all the noises this time.

My guess is that this is more guff from the press trying to create a stir just as we saw in the McCarthy situation and just as we saw many times in the Stephen Ireland saga. That's not to say it doesn't have a ring of truth to it - there's nothing new in the revelation that Grealish can still play for England and is refusing to nail his colours permanently to the mast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    there's nothing new in the revelation that Grealish can still play for England and is refusing to nail his colours permanently to the mast.
    No, but I would have thought the decision would have to be made if and when he was selected, not given more time because he's not quite sure. Anyway, not much point in speculating about something that's more than likely conjured out of thin air.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Calling him up only for him to decline or prevaricate would only inflame speculation though. Probably right to gauge his feelings first, especially as insiders (FAI, Keane etc.) will know way more than any of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair enough with regards gauging his feelings, but if those feelings are anything other than "I'd love to be a part of the upcoming Ireland squad", then I think TOWK had a point (albeit without much foundation) that he's probably waiting for something better i.e. the country that he actually wants to play for. I would have no issue with that decision, other than disappointment, if it happens but if O'Neill wants to select him now I think it's time to sh!t, or get off the pot!

All ifs and buts I know.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/08/2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Also, the U21s are playing Germany on the 5th September, he could still be in that squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    TOWK was right! *rings bell*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm not surprised at all by this. There is a method to my madness, guys.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Can we get to the bottom of his eligibility? It's the case that at least 3 of his 4 grandparents are Irish- not that his Dad was born in Dublin, am I right?

Either way, it's positive O'Neill is at least holding discussions with Grealish and his family.

Can't blame the kid for having doubts, from his own perspective. I mean, he's 18 years of age and is trying to break into the Villa first team which is probably where all his attention is lying at the moment and this decision isn't getting all of his attention. He's unsure of whether he wants to commit to us which is always going to be a difficult decision when he's grown up in a house of English accents and spent his whole life in England. Someone like Tommie Hoban had an Irish mother so his decision was made a little easier.

I must say, a few years ago, when I was in my teens, I would have seen this issue as being completely black and white- if you don't what to play for Ireland then p*ss off. As I've grown older, I can understand why he's having doubts. And I'm not the lad that's privileged enough to have been met with this decision. Can only imagine how tough it must be for him.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    and of course we did tell you all so.

so naive.where is geysir with his pseudo insight read between the lines babble crap

don't worry lads still plenty of time...He is still outs etc etc etc.

Our only hope now is he doesn't get called up for England quickly and he might "not be considering his options "
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's not like you to say I told you so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Olé Olé; as far as I know, you're correct about his roots. His father wasn't born in Dublin but I believe at least three of his grandparents were born in Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    and of course we did tell you all so.

so naive.where is geysir with his pseudo insight read between the lines babble crap

don't worry lads still plenty of time...He is still outs etc etc etc.

Our only hope now is he doesn't get called up for England quickly and he might "not be considering his options "
    Ha, I'm disappointed and surprised due to the expectation I had based on his prior words. I didn't hold the stance I did out of naivety, however. I was always aware of his options and I'm well aware that various factors can influence the decisions and motivations of dual national footballers; national identity, a sense of allegiance and career considerations can all colour a decision simultaneously or to varying degrees. I don't think anyone ever said they were 100 per cent certain he'd be sticking with us; the degree of long-term ambiguity was universally acknowledged. I myself put faith in Grealish's expressions because he's been playing for us since the age of 14 and I'd rather accept such a person's word at face value than be automatically suspicious of their motivations and intentions from the outset. If he is to commit what you might call "bad faith" or something, so be it (although it's important to remember he didn't promise anyone anything), but at least I wouldn't have been guilty of it in the first place by groundlessly doubting him/accusing him of insincerity and then me turning out to be wrong.

Nevertheless, he hasn't quite declared for England yet!

*sticks head back in sand*

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    It would have been great if he was capped against Georgia ending all speculation, but he hasn't. He can still play for both countries. He hadn't said he'll play for England and until he does all we have is a dual-national who wants time to decide who he'd prefer to play for at senior level. It'd be a real shame to lose him but it's still a leap of faith either way to make bold predictions, and it's a bit narrow minded to make value judgments on Grealish's position.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    In fairness to Grealish, he seems to be very friendly with a lot of Irish footballers and has always immersed himself in the Irish camps he's been in. For example, his ALS nomination (http://instagram.com/p/r9eZsmwcFf/) came from Ronan Murray and two of his three nominees (Alan Sheehan and Derrick Williams) are also Irish.

It's not a decision he could take lightly leaving the friend he's played with over the past four years to play with a country from whom he's probably received repeated overtures over the past four years. The gravity of the decision isn't lost on him, I'm sure. Hence, why he's taking time to make the decision. He should be afforded the time. Let's just hope he makes the decision we all want him to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't think he has even been offered a position with the England U-21 National Team yet. It would be interesting if he was. He has said before that Ireland offer a more competitive level of football than he would receive with England.

The lad is eligible for two countries. Good for him. Woe for us.

It's a double edged sword because if he was playing for Watford or had signed permanently for MK Dons then he would probably snap your hands off if he was offered a call up, but then, on the flipside of the coin, he would probably not be in a position to usurp players like Hoolahan, Pilkington, Reid and Quinn for a place in the team.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 21/08/2014 at 3:14 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I think his dad his probably giving him good advice, if I can detach myself from the situation.

If he was to suddenly accept an English u21 call up then that'd appear to be it, but he shouldn't be made to rush into accepting what would have the appearance of a desperate slightly cynical immediate senior call up for a guy who has barely even got his career started. I think O'Neill did the right thing talking to him and his dad.

I still think he's ours to lose and his sitting on the fence is neither anything really new nor anything particularly controversial. His position isn't unlike the Janujaz situation. Remember the hysteria over James McCarthy. I still think there's a whiff about that saga in this situation.

TOWK, to his credit, has been very restrained in his reaction. Paul seems to think he has already won some kind of fortune telling cum amateur psychology competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    I think his dad his probably giving him good advice, if I can detach myself from the situation.

If he was to suddenly accept an English u21 call up then that'd appear to be it, but he shouldn't be made to rush into accepting what would have the appearance of a desperate slightly cynical immediate senior call up for a guy who has barely even got his career started. I think O'Neill did the right thing talking to him and his dad.
    he's already played competitively for our U21s, so he can't play for England's U21 team.

I still think he's ours to lose and his sitting on the fence is neither anything really new nor anything particularly controversial. His position isn't unlike the Janujaz situation. Remember the hysteria over James McCarthy. I still think there's a whiff about that saga in this situation.

TOWK, to his credit, has been very restrained in his reaction. Paul seems to think he has already won some kind of fortune telling cum amateur psychology competition.
    Did anyone who stated conclusively that McCarthy would play for Scotland ever apologise for it, or say they were wrong? Do you think anyone who is wrong here will do the same if Grealish plays for Ireland?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Is he not still eligible to play for England u21s? I thought the rule is that he can't play for another country in the same tournament, e.g., 2016 qualifying campaign or finals.

Page 32 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast