Thanked in
    517 Posts
    https://twitter.com/JackGrealish1

Starting tomorrow for the senior team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    C'mon, TOWK; I loathe to sound priggish and histrionic, but please can't you do the decent thing and actually acknowledge my response/questions? You have a terribly dispiriting habit of side-stepping challenges. In case you're having trouble finding the questions to which I'm referring, they're to be found in the very last post on the previous page - the post right in between your last two there - or here...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Going well it seems in pre season http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/t...alish/page-127

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    TOWK; I'll respond to your post on Grealish from the Darren Randolph thread here...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    More than anything, it was Jack's comments about supporting England and not Ireland at Euro 2012 that didn't sit right with me. I believe he said something patronising and transparent to the effect that he supports England senior team and Ireland youth teams?! Whatever his opinion - he's entitled to it - he should refrain from saying such daft things in a public forum.
    Here's exactly what he said: http://foot.ie/threads/157001-Michae...=1#post1574273

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grealish
    Counting down the days to european championships , wouldnt miss it for NOTHING !! Im feeling it's irelands year lol !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grealish
    & btw peeps i mean u17 european championships lol not the senior one in the summer as I would prefer England to win that #Opinions
    Why can't he say such things in a public forum? He's free to do so, like yourself, no? I don't see what's all that daft or patronising about what he said either, to be honest. He's just telling his followers he'd like to see England win the Euros. It's a fairly innocent tweet from a dual national who was born in England to England-born parents of Irish descent. It's not all that surprising or galling that he might think slightly differently from people like yourself or myself who subscribe to a single national identity. It doesn't necessarily mean he was willing Ireland on to lose or anything; I'm sure he had a place for Ireland in his heart too.

I'm also skeptical about some of his brother's posts on VillaTalk - such as referring to Ireland as his "International club" among other things.
    This is the "suspect" post by his brother (last February) to which you're referring, I'm guessing?: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/t...ish/?p=1250935

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan Grealish
    Seems like MON was considering jack for a callup against serbia. Still think it will be a while until he gets one as standing out in league one doesn't mean that much, even for an 18 year old. But good to know that he's keeping an eye open.

Regarding King, hes a great manager who really is down to earth. Been in the game long enough and im very glad jacks playing under him.

Regarding Jack, I have nothing else more to say but the fact that ireland is his foreseeable plan and none of this has changed. England at this moment in time is a non-starter. Unfortunately I cant see the future so I wont make any silly predictions but hes enjoying his time and I hope he doesn't take any of this for granted. It would be an honour for Jack to play for his international club as well as villa !
    I'm not sure why that has you so paranoid. The description "international club" is unconventional, sure, but it seems like a fairly innocuous or meaningless phrasing given the overall context of the post. What age is his brother? Isn't he mid-teens? Maybe he uses the term "club" in the exact same way he uses "team", or perhaps he's simply distinguishing Ireland from his day-to-day club, Villa? His brother even talks about a potential senior call-up for Jack by Martin O'Neill somewhere down the pipeline (stating it would be an honour for Jack to receive such), talks of his delight with how Jack is playing under Noel King and informs Villa fans that Jack's plan is to stick with Ireland, as it has always been, and that playing for England is a non-starter. We know that the FA had spoken to Jack and his father and that their advances were turned away. If Kevan would rather Jack switched to England, why would he hope Jack doesn't take his time with Ireland for granted?

I just don't get the impression that the lad is all in with Ireland. If he has an attachment to the country that is strong enough that he wants to play for us - and he knows he is wanted here - then he would have declared already imo. The fact that he hasn't asserted where his long-term future lies imo is, frankly, because he wants to see if he can make the grade in the PL or Championship and attract concrete interest from the England seniors or England U-21 set up.
    You're an irrational cynic who doubts the commitment and motives of most, so of course you'd doubt Jack Grealish too.

He has declared for us though, hasn't he? He plays for us. He hasn't declared for anyone else.

I guess we'll see where he ends up playing senior international football at some point down the line. If England come back again with a better offer, maybe he'll weigh it up whilst taking into account his dual heritage and what he has gained from his hopefully-fond times with Ireland. That doesn't mean he'd go through with a switch and I certainly don't get the impression he'll be turning down any call-up to our senior team if and when it comes, unless we do something to make him feel unwelcome.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    It's very conceivable he'd get a call-up for the Oman game. If he gets some game time with Villa in August and with Keane casting an eye, there's every chance he'll merit one. Furthermore, it's likely that O'Neill will field two hugely different sides for the Oman and Georgia games, meaning a large squad is necessary.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    This worry about him switching will get out of control by Christmas Id say cause I think he will make a big impact with villa this year more than likely off the bench initially. It will be fantastic. I more than likely will not sleep more than an hour a night with worry. I will campaign for him to be on the bench for our visit to Germany in October so that we at least can get him tied down to make the trip worthwhile. There will be much derision of such an approach. I will sleep less. The lad is a natural footballer something there is very little of in this part of the world as we all know. He will be a mainstay of our side for 15 years. Please cap him Martin and let me sleep. And please Martin keep him the **** away from Paul Doolin

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I do think it's patronising because imo it comes across that he is supporting England where it matters and he supports the Irish underage team almost as an afterthought or token gesture. I also think it's daft to be making comments about supporting England in a tournament when the country he is playing for are playing in the same tournament. He should keep it to himself. I'm not an International footballer so I can get away with making daft comments.

We've been down that road before but Jack said something to the effect that in the long-term, anything can happen. Jack also said at the time that he would stick with Ireland because he was playing in a higher age group at a more competitive level; hardly sentimental reasons.

I'm self-aware enough to know that I am a pessimist, a cynic and a glass half empty kind of guy but also somewhat of a pragmatist and realist. He's a talented footballer, England's options aren't as expansive as the transfer fees of players like Shaw, Lallana and Rodriguez suggest and he has not nailed his colors firmly to the Irish mast.

And made to feel unwelcome? How? By not being selected? You should want to play for Ireland and there shouldn't be any ifs, buts or maybes about it. If you aren't selected for some reason, then work harder - simple as.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    He'll be called up V Oman.
    He'll stay with senior team and come on as a 91st minute sub against Gibraltar and it will be all over a la the James McCarthy affair
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I hope so Fixer.

Get him in quick.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    In Roy we trust!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I do think it's patronising because imo it comes across that he is supporting England where it matters and he supports the Irish underage team almost as an afterthought or token gesture.
    That's your interpretation. His first tweet referred to supporting Ireland, so I'm not sure why you perceive an opening message to be an afterthought. He offered clarification in a second tweet, presumably as a token gesture to his fans in England... What actually matters is where he's playing, and that's with Ireland.

I also think it's daft to be making comments about supporting England in a tournament when the country he is playing for are playing in the same tournament. He should keep it to himself. I'm not an International footballer so I can get away with making daft comments.
    Are you saying a different rule should apply to cover the expressions of footballers? The lad can tweet what he likes. He's free you use social media and express his opinion, as any person is, like yourself or myself, whether he's a youth international footballer or not. Why should he be gagged just because you mightn't take to what he's saying? He once tweeted that he was holidaying in Ibiza and when some piqued idiot questioned what on earth a professional footballer would be doing holidaying in Ibiza, Grealish rightly reminded him that footballers, believe it or not, were actually humans too with lives to live like anyone else. Some of the fanatical and knee-jerk stuff you come out with at times borders on positively authoritarian...

We've been down that road before but Jack said something to the effect that in the long-term, anything can happen. Jack also said at the time that he would stick with Ireland because he was playing in a higher age group at a more competitive level; hardly sentimental reasons.
    You're hard work. You could put an unfairly negative twist on anything. This is a lad with four Irish grandparents who's been playing for us since the age of 14 and you try to make out he's in it for mercenary reasons. Give over. To paint a clear picture, here's exactly what he said: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30075664.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Fallon
    "If I'm enjoying it with Ireland and I won't be pressured into playing for England," says Grealish. "The English FA met dad and I before this campaign started and told me where I'd be playing for them (their under 19s). We had already spoken to Noel (King) by that stage and thought, as I'd be with the under 21s, Ireland was the best place for me.

"It's hard to say what's going to happen because I'm only 18, aren't I? For the next couple of years, I want to play for Ireland. That's not saying I'm going to go back to England – just that you never know what's going to happen."
    At worst, what he says there is ambiguous, but the message is clear; he wants to play for us for the foreseeable future and will keep doing so so long as he's enjoying it and won't be pressured into playing for England. As geysir stated in this thread a while back, he's ours to lose. I think he'll welcome a cap for our senior team long before any interest from England might have the chance to develop into a serious concern for our interests anyway. Even if he was planning on sticking with us for the next couple of years only and was indeed concealing from us some devious intention to later switch, I find it hard to see how he wouldn't be capped competitively by our senior team in that time anyway so long as he continues to progress as he has been doing.

And made to feel unwelcome? How? By not being selected? You should want to play for Ireland and there shouldn't be any ifs, buts or maybes about it. If you aren't selected for some reason, then work harder - simple as.
    Well, I dunno. Maybe he'd feel unwelcome if he had a falling out with a Givens/Doolin-type manager for whatever reason or was inexplicably ignored or something. And that's not to say he would necessarily be likely to walk away anyway; the FA took the opportunity to approach himself and his da when, according to John Fallon, "Grealish felt disillusioned after not seeing a minute of action from Paul Doolin during three under 19 UEFA qualifiers in Macedonia in 2012". In spite of this, he turned away the FA's advances.

Anyway, you're beginning to sound like a much less comical Ian Wright. Grealish is a dual national. He has the option of playing for us. He doesn't owe the nation his commitment just because he has Irish DNA in him. If he wants to volunteer his footballing services to us; great and fair play to him. If not; too bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is there anything less interesting that which team Jack Grealish was supporting at a tournament? Good grief. He has split loyalties. He's 18 years old. He's not always going to keep everybody happy. Give him a break and let him sort out his international allegiances on his own. All indications are that he is in with us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A young bloke born in England of Irish heritage having split allegiances! He should have his life sorted out by now- not. As the father of an 18 year old daughter and as I sit now in front of 24 18 year olds, I can tell you young people of this age are not always ready to make major decisions that they feel have life implications. Give the lad as much time as he needs, respect his background and accept whatever decision he makes. I really cannot understand how some on here can view life in such a simplistic manner

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm self-aware enough to know that I am a pessimist, a cynic and a glass half empty kind of guy but also somewhat of a pragmatist and realist.
    And a bellend ! lets not forget bellend TWOKeroony, me auld buddy.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's completely out of order, Crafty. People should be allowed express their opinions without personal abuse.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Ah put your floral panties of righteous indignation back on CD. It was a joke, referencing him being called a bellend on here some time back, I mean really being referred to as such, in a derogatory manner on that occasion. It was good natured ribbing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Maybe I'm just being humourless, but if you're going to say something like that make sure he knows it's a joke! Cos I didn't.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    A young bloke born in England of Irish heritage having split allegiances! He should have his life sorted out by now- not. As the father of an 18 year old daughter and as I sit now in front of 24 18 year olds, I can tell you young people of this age are not always ready to make major decisions that they feel have life implications. Give the lad as much time as he needs, respect his background and accept whatever decision he makes. I really cannot understand how some on here can view life in such a simplistic manner
    shouldn't you be teaching them rather than posting on foot.ie?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    shouldn't you be teaching them rather than posting on foot.ie?
    When they're working away, I jump on, that's why editing is always an issue!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I do hope Keane gets among the young Irish at Villa and mentors them, inspires them. And recommends a Grealish cap in September or October!

Paul, has gastric said he's a teacher? He might be one of those nude models for young art students.

24. Thanks From:

Page 29 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast