Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1789

Thread: Jack Grealish

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    You have to love these insinuations (however true they may be) about how much a player's stock and profile rises from playing with England. The intense scrutiny and pressure that comes with that doesn't get a mention. Dear old Gareth Southgate could testify to this. I was barely in short pants when he missed that penalty against Germany and I'm still hearing of it.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Grealish has been "withdrawn by his club" from the squad for Thursday's game.
    Might as well close the thread then

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Now, I have absolutely nothing against St. Ledger, nor would I ever hold it against him that he only got a passport sorted once he was invited to join up. He seems like a good lad and has always given his all for Ireland. However, I do have a low tolerance for the type of guff you spout. If St. Ledger was, as you so emphatically insist, so dead-set on playing only for Ireland his whole life, why didn't he come forward and declare his intentions to the FAI in his teens so that he could line out for our youth sides?
    Pals of mine were at school with him. No-one thought he was good enough to play professional football, least of all him...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Pals of mine were at school with him. No-one thought he was good enough to play professional football, least of all him...
    Allegedly, Brian Kerr selected him for either an under-17 or under-19 squad. I was never aware of this.

On the claim that he was also eligible to play for the IFA, considering that St. Ledger's eligibility was down to a Carlow grandparent, my suspicion is that the idea might have spawned from the mistaken perception around the time that anyone of Irish nationality, regardless of where they were born, was eligible to play for either ourselves or the IFA.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Feeling uncomfortable about Grealish's withdrawal. If he does play for England it will be really weird. We are usually the recipient of dual national players and as hard it is to admit, I am beginning to understand the disappointment NI fans feel when players commit to us! Can't believe I admitted that.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    You have to love these insinuations (however true they may be) about how much a player's stock and profile rises from playing with England. The intense scrutiny and pressure that comes with that doesn't get a mention. Dear old Gareth Southgate could testify to this. I was barely in short pants when he missed that penalty against Germany and I'm still hearing of it.
    Apparently he had shares with Pizza Hut, so technically his stock did rise after Euro 96

dramatisation:may not have happened
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Allegedly, Brian Kerr selected him for either an under-17 or under-19 squad. I was never aware of this.

On the claim that he was also eligible to play for the IFA, considering that St. Ledger's eligibility was down to a Carlow grandparent, my suspicion is that the idea might have spawned from the mistaken perception around the time that anyone of Irish nationality, regardless of where they were born, was eligible to play for either ourselves or the IFA.
    I'd say fair play to the doc for actually addressing the issue he's been called out on numerous times. It might be a bit naive to take the word of a relative as gospel (if he isn't in fact SSL himself) but credit where it's due.
    Also, is DG de Gaffer, or who is it? Sorry it's that numpty Givens isn't it?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Feeling uncomfortable about Grealish's withdrawal.
    its not ideal but some reasonable enough reasons were given yesterday including his participation in a behind doors first team friendly and contract negotiations. isn't our 21s match just a friendly anyway? id say he would have turned up for a competitive match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Noel King has no concerns about the withdrawal: http://balls.ie/football/jack-greali...noel-king-319/

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Reilly
    Noel King has dismissed concerns that Jack Grealish’s withdrawal from the Ireland u21 squad has anything to do with his long term international future. Grealish withdrew from the squad for Thursday’s friendly away to Norway to concentrate on his club commitments, including a closed-doors friendly for Aston Villa, and King doesn’t see that as a problem.

"I accept Jack’s reasons for withdrawing and understand it. I have no issue with it and just see this as an opportunity for other players to come in and show what they can do."

Those called up by King include Kenneth McEvoy and Shelbourne’s Dylan Connolly, whose exploits this weekend may have secured him a late call-up. Grealish is not the only player to miss out with Bradley Garmston, Conor Wilkinson and Will Hayhurst also choosing to remain with their clubs and King accepts that that is part of international football.

"The players have been ruled out for a variety of reasons and it opens the door for the other players who have been called up.

It’s a friendly game. Everybody that comes in will play and we will get a good look at them as we look to build a squad for the next qualifying campaign."
    The game isn't one that would have tied him, so it's not as if that would have been a concern in Grealish's mind or a reason for withdrawal.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    To put the withdrawal in context, it's a friendly. Furthermore, he's the only memeber of the squad on the fringes of the first team in the PL. The other first-team players I can pick out would be O'Connell, Hoban, Browne, Hayhurst and Wilkinson- Championship, SPL and League One being their level.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 07/10/2014 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Keep reaching.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    To put the withdrawal in context, on the same day as he withdraws we hear about Gareth Southgate flirting publicly with Jack about an U21 call up to England.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Keep reaching.
    I hear you fella! 👍

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There's yer quote gets

He made it clear that the player and his father and agent, Kevin, should know where they stand after their meeting before last month's gathering - when the Grealish team turned down the chance to train with the seniors ahead of the trip to Georgia - See more at: http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer....ine9smmj.dpuf

line up line up....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Quinn dismisses row and wants Grealish to choose Ireland': http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...nd-290762.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan O'Brien
    Stephen Quinn insists there will be no issue between him and Jack Grealish, who he labelled a "fake Paddy" earlier this season, should the Aston Villa midfielder declare to play for the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Grealish, who is English-born but has played for Ireland underage thanks to Irish grandparents, had to contend with some verbal and physical attention from Quinn in late August when Hull City met Villa in the Premier League.

The Villa youngster played down the confrontation soon after and Quinn was equally dismissive of the incident when asked about it after Ireland’s training session at their Malahide base yesterday morning.

“There was a bit of banter,” said the 28-year old Dubliner. “[Aston Villa’s] Fabien Delph was involved as well. He started it as if it was banter. The story unfortunately grew arms and legs and ran away with itself.

“I think it was on the front page of the newspapers at one point. There are a lot worse things happening in the world than me having a bit of banter with a fellow Irish, or potentially Irish, player so...”

Quinn further diluted the incident by pointing out that his own son is “half-English anyway” and expressed the hope that Grealish would ignore the overt advances being made toward him by England, and choose to play senior football for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    slipped under the radar, Grealish posted this on instagram last week: https://instagram.com/p/t-qi81QcLr/
    Learnt this recently, even through the bad times, faith and happiness is the most important thing! "Stay positive when life gives you every reason to be negative!" The exact reason that got me where I am today! Will hopefully be announcing some v important news next week �� faith and happiness ����
    Probably his new contract

Also, in this interview with Roy Keane from the Independent yesterday, Keane still considers him Irish: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30656786.html
    I'm on the training pitch at Villa with Irish lads like Clarky or Grealish
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Grealish declares admiration for Wales: https://twitter.com/JackGrealish1/st...61288410890241
    Hats off to Wales.. Been brilliant tonight and really grinded this result out but as for Bale... Woowww what a player
    reading between the lines, I expect him to declare for Coleman's side before the week is out
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Grealish declares admiration for Wales: https://twitter.com/JackGrealish1/st...61288410890241

reading between the lines, I expect him to declare for Coleman's side before the week is out
    I was gonna say it was only Cyprus, but then I remembered.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    From the BBC gossip section:

"Winger Jack Grealish, 19, is poised to sign a new £20,000-a-week contract at Aston Villa after joining Stellar Group, the football agency which represents Gareth Bale and Ashley Cole. (Daily Telegraph) "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Has he removed the references to Ireland on his Twitter page?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast