Page 41 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Another bit here

http://www.sportsmed.theclinics.com/article/S0278-5919%2805%2970117-4/abstract

The role of shin guards in protecting against fractures has yet to be determined. In one report, the circumstances surrounding 31 athletes who sustained a fracture of the lower leg from a direct blow while playing soccer were reviewed.
    2 The majority of fractures occurred while the athletes were wearing shin guards.

That may suggest you are more likely to get a fracture whilst wearing shin pads, howver I guess most were wearing shin
    pads, however it does not say, hence not of much use really lol.

However if shin guards only really protect you from minor cuts and bruises whilst inviting more robust
    tackles they may actually be doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 01/09/2014 at 1:37 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Grealish got taken out 3 times by Hull players earlier after coming on as sub...
    Grealish goes down quicker than a Dublin Barmaid after closing time!

Here we go again, more hype about a player most on here haven't seen play live or over a number of games.

This sounds like the same masses who were heralding McClean after a good run of games at Sunderland.

You'd of thought Pele was coming on at the Aviva such was the crowds reaction.

Then reality struck in!

Grealish by all accounts wants to play for England, if he plays for us then great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Lots of young players start off well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    We should introduce a new forum rule. No discussion of young players, especially ones who are highly regarded by people like Roy Keane, until they have scored 15 international goals and have 4 children.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    We should introduce a new forum rule. No discussion of young players, especially ones who are highly regarded by people like Roy Keane, until they have scored 15 international goals and have 4 children.
    Clark was highly regarded by Dunne and Keane, look how that turned out?

Are you and your mates the only ones allowed an opinion on here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Grealish goes down quicker than a Dublin Barmaid after closing time!
    All five of those tackles were clear fouls.

Here we go again, more hype about a player most on here haven't seen play live or over a number of games.
    What hype? Discussion doesn't always equate to hype. Lots of different players and issues are discussed on here. It's not all hype.

This sounds like the same masses who were heralding McClean after a good run of games at Sunderland.

You'd of thought Pele was coming on at the Aviva such was the crowds reaction.
    His good performances at the time and his early taking of the Premier League by storm probably contributed, but that welcome was mostly to do with his decision to switch from the IFA; people saw that he was realising his dream to play for his country. James McCarthy received a similar welcome when he made his senior competitive debut because the media had gotten people into a panic fearing he might switch to Scotland. In both cases, the crowd were delighted that these lads had firmly nailed their colours to the mast and wanted to assure them they were most welcome.

Grealish by all accounts wants to play for England, if he plays for us then great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
    Nobody's getting ahead of themselves. Everyone is aware that not all young players fulfill their alleged potential. Everyone is also well aware of his dual nationality, but there's no certainty that he will play for England even if Hodgson does enter the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Clark was highly regarded by Dunne and Keane, look how that turned out?
    Eh? Nobody mentioned Richard Dunne. And Trap was in charge when Clark was first called up. We don't know how Roy Keane rated Clark at the time.

Are you and your mates the only ones allowed an opinion on here?
    Is someone stifling your ability to post your opinion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They're talking about him on MOTD2 now.
    Full snippet here:

They mention his lack of proper shin pads at the end and suggest he'd need to invest in a new pair. You should e-mail them your findings on risk compensation, tricky!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I hear Keane rated St Ledger and predicted a continuing rise in his club fortunes. Look how that turned out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Full snippet here:

They mention his lack of proper shin pads at the end and suggest he'd need to invest in a new pair. You should e-mail them your findings on risk compensation, tricky!
    Maybe I will,.... maybe I will......

Yea maybe I should, they might read it out

I think if you see a player has chunky ship pads on you feel entitled to go in with as much force as possible.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 01/09/2014 at 3:39 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I think if you see a player has chunky ship pads on you feel entitled to go in with as much force as possible.
    This is not a thing. Nobody checks out the size of a players shinguards to determine how hard they can hit them. Nobody.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Nor do motorists drive with more care if a cyclist isn't wearing a helmet. I'm an urban cyclist and a motorist.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Nor do motorists drive with more care if a cyclist isn't wearing a helmet. I'm an urban cyclist and a motorist.
    its like that argument the council use for not providing helmets with the bikes u rent in dublin saying there is no injury prevention benefit

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    5 times I think 3 of them won yellow cards!! Didn't seem to bother him much, go up
    with a smile on his face after a rather crunching body check from Quinn.

Also it seems Grealish wears little or no shin pads and his socks are nearly round his ankles.

This seems a bit mad, but I have been wondering if there is method in the madness.

I am wondering if shin pads actually cause more serious injuries? I expect they give players a false
    sense of security, when you have shin pads on you are probably more inclined to got into a crusnching
    tackle rather than take evasive action.

It is something called Risk compensation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

You take more risks because you feel safer. Apparently seat belts in cars caused more deaths of pedestrians
    and cyclists because drivers felt safer and hence drove faster and more recklessly.

But cars are a bit different to footballers, you can get a new car if you crash it with the driver surviving, it is bit different
    from a footballer, pads only offer limited protection, they may prevent the odd bruise, but you may still end up with a broken
    leg. Also if a player can see you have no protective pads they may be less inclined to put in a really reckless tackle?

Also if you feel less protected yourself I expect you will take more care to avoid such tackles in the the first place.

Apologies for introducing such high brow stuff to the forum
    Read a great book a few years ago called "Traffic" which is all about risk compensation and the psychology of safety.
    http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-.../dp/0307277194

A similar argument occurred when compulsory helmets were required in Senior hurling a few years ago. And there's the argument in North America in NHL and NFL that the extra safety equipment causes as any injuries.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The University of Bath would beg to differ!!!

http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/...ing110906.html

He found that drivers were as much as twice as likely to get particularly close to the bicycle when he was wearing the helmet.
    Across the board, drivers passed an average of 8.5 cm (3 1/3 inches) closer with the helmet than without

You probably do not notice it.

Having said that, today I was out on my bike (without helmet) and I could not believe how close a car passed next to me!!!

OK it was slowly at a junction but even so, it was crazy, normally I am a bit wobbly at
    junctions so there could easily have been a collision, however he was so close there was not enough room
    to fall, I would just have been leaning on the car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    This is not a thing. Nobody checks out the size of a players shinguards to determine how hard they can hit them. Nobody.
    I think you would, maybe not consciously but I expect you would be less reckless if the players socks were
    round his ankles as it would be pretty clear you would be hitting human flesh not hard plastic pads.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Juan Sebastian Veron esque dare I say.

Hopefully he is willing to move a little bit more.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I think you would, maybe not consciously but I expect you would be less reckless if the players socks were
    round his ankles as it would be pretty clear you would be hitting human flesh not hard plastic pads.
    Maybe some players would. Just seems odd to me. I have hit coloured boot ******* a little harder in a tackle though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Maybe some players would. Just seems odd to me. I have hit coloured boot ******* a little harder in a tackle though.

I think coloured boots is a different matter, they are a kind of arrogant display saying "I am better than you", that is
    basically a red rag to a bull, so I can't say I blame you.

However if everyone has coloured boots the effect is lost. I am just wondering perhaps is Jacks socks
    round his ankles had a similar affect? Although that does contradict my original idea somewhat.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think you're getting a bit technical now, tricky. Keep it light, so we simpletons can keep up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    My apologies Was just wondering why he drew so many tackles. The sock round the ankle might have had the same effect as coloured boots.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    My apologies Was just wondering why he drew so many tackles. The sock round the ankle might have had the same effect as coloured boots.
    I accept your apology, but don't do it again. I will accept a small cash donation and the matter will be dropped.

Piece from RTE with Given and Meyler talking about Grealish, while O'Neill comments on him and Noble: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/engli...40794-ireland/

Page 41 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast