Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bit of a discussion on it on Soccer Republic just now with Richie Sadlier and Dave Barry. A bit more measured than some opinions we've heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Should we be pained, DI? Presuming they made a free choice, despite dual (or more) qualification...

Or did you mean something slightly different?
    I was directing the question at TOWK rather than to the board generally. I don't see why it should pain anyone to get behind an England-born Irish international player giving his all for Ireland who might also have (seriously) considered playing for the country of his birth at some point, but I had gotten the impression that TOWK has little time for such players because they don't neatly fit into his simplistic and over-presumptuous world view of seeing everything in black or white. He has belittled the integrity of the likes of Simon Cox, Paul Green and Anthony Pilkington in the past. So, I was wondering did it pain him to get behind the likes of Andy Townsend or Clinton Morrison when they gave their all for us? Or will it pain him to support Jack Grealish when he next wears an Ireland shirt? It appears he begrudgingly sweeps it under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    DI

I'm sure you'll just compulsively disagree with everything I say yet again but here goes....
    I'm sure I have agreed with you before. Once or twice.

He doesn't know what his long-term plans are. I suspect that they are determined on a number of factors, some beyond his control. He implied that he was looking forward to a prospective call up during the summer several months ago and then turned it down when it came.
    So you at least acknowledge he's confused and unsure of what to do really?

No, he indeed hasn't suggested that he will jump ship to England but what conclusions are we supposed to draw from him turning down a call up to the Ireland senior team when to my knowledge he hasn't even been offered a call up to the England U-21 team?
    Maybe we could simply conclude that he doesn't want to commit to an irreversible and life-changing decision so early in his life?

I believe he said he supported the senior England national team and the Ireland U-21 team (or something to that effect). I'm open to correction on that.
    I've re-quoted the tweets plenty of times for you but you're putting words in his mouth with the above interpretation by giving the impression that he supports England to the exclusion of ourselves. Just because he expressed support on Twitter for England doesn't mean there's no place in his heart for our senior team either. Dual nationals will, more often than not, support more than one country.

He's not a child. He is a grown man and he has had plenty of time to ascertain what national team he wants to play for. It's not a life or death decision at the end of the day.
    Don't trivialise it. It's a massive decision for him. It's his profession and livelihood he has to consider here, and a footballer's career is a short one at that. It's easy for you to talk - you're a fan with no split allegiance - but you're not in his boots. Would you have been happy to make all your life-changing decisions at the age of 18?

I know I'm going to get the mocked for this but it's a first world problem isn't it? There are 12 year old children fighting wars these days yet I am supposed to feel some kind of empathy for a 19 year old footballer, who already earns more in a month than I do in a year, over what country he plays for, because he is a young man?
    It is a first-world problem and it all pales into general insignificance when you think about the broader world, but we are where we are and we support the Irish national team (or, if you prefer, a bunch of spoilt Irish brats chasing around a ball of, erm, polyurethane ), so we find ourselves discussing our interest by virtue of that. Nobody said you have to feel empathy; just give the lad a break. You don't need empathy to stop being so cynical and suspicious. Why can there can be no grey or ambiguity with you? Must everything be as simple as black-or-white, with a heavy dose of pessimistic cynicism usually determining which tone will be favoured?

It doesn't pain me. I get over it and try not to think about it too much as it goes beyond my control. I support the team whoever plays. What pains me is someone playing all through the age groups for one country, turning down a call up for the senior team and taking a place in the U-21 team of someone who may want to play for his country whenever he gets the call.
    You really think Grealish is depriving another player of ever being seen by the FAI? As I said before, cream rises to the top. Noel King said Jack is happy to play for us. If you have a problem with Grealish being in our under-21 squad, direct your ire at King and the FAI who are more than delighted to continue selecting him. If anything, Grealish's presence should enhance competition for places; not provide a convenient excuse for those who weren't good enough to claim they never got their chance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Is this the same Steve Staunton who'd broken into the Liverpool first team at the start of the season and who had become a regular starter for the best team in the league before he made his Ireland debut about 2 months later?

Is this the same Michael Owen who was Liverpool's first choice striker and top scorer before he made his England debut?

Is this the same Jim Beglin. Sorry my mistake, you were right about him. One out of three isn't bad.

Some other notables you forgot to mention who made their Ireland debuts before establishing themselves at their respective clubs include the following household names:
    Alan O'Brien, the prolific Joseph Lapira, Cillian Sheridan, Graham Barrett, Joe O'Cearuill, Darren Potter and Alan Maybury. All went on to be superstars we can all agree.
    One out of the three? I think geysir above mentions that Staunton had played one game for Liverpool before he played for Ireland.
    Michael Owen played a few games a the end of the 1996/1997 season and then played consistently at the beginning of the 1997/ 1998 season before he then madehis English debut on the 11 February 1998. That means he had about 6 months experience of first team football which to me means he had little experience when he first played for England. Three out of three IMO!

TOWK , can you learn to read or develop your comprehension skills. I never compared Jack Grealish to Michael Owens in terms of football ability. I compared his age and inexperience when he debuted for England with Grealish's situation. Also stop trying to play the victim, if you are going to continually make inflammatory statements accept the flak that goes with it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    5th choice is better than no choice!

When Clark arrived on the club scene he did pretty well. He actually played defensive midfield for a while and scored a lovely volley at home to Arsenal. It wasn't unrealistic to be excited about his potential back then.
    Yet another Foot ie poster refusing to admit he was wrong.

Stutty old chap, surely you must of realised that this Posh old boy knows his footie, toodle pip!

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post

Stutty old chap, surely you must of realised that this Posh old boy knows his footie, toodle pip!
    Is it not a bit premature to write off the career of Clark already? He played 27 PL games last season too, by the way. Almost as many minutes as you mustered in the Championship.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I hope he's not put under too much pressure and makes the choice which is right for himself.

I suppose, the better he gets, the more pressure he'll be under to make a decision one way or the other.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You don't say...

Hopefully he'll never read a lot of the drivel in this thread...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Before he made his international debut on 19th October 88 he had started the previous 3 out of 5 games for Liverpool. That's regular enough for me. I never said guaranteed.
    Where did you pick guarantee from?
    No one claimed you said guaranteed, you claimed he was a regular starter for Liverpool after breaking into the team at the start of the season
    That implies he was a regular starter, picked consistently for the first team, however that did not happen until late November. He was certainly an irregular starter for Liverpool, but was obviously on the road to being a regular.
    He was on Charlton's radar before he played for Liverpool's first team, under serious consideration for a Final's squad, already had been called up to a few squads.
    There is a strong similarity between Staunton and Beglin's career to Grealish's, at this stage of a player's career in relation to getting attention from the intl manager.

11. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Richie Dunne seems to be a fan anyway....

"They have tried with Jack Grealish and maybe if he had come in he'd have been in the squad. If we can get hold of him he is a player who can be a star for Ireland for the next 15 years. I've seen him at training [at Aston Villa] and I have seen a couple of clips of him at Notts County and I have seen how good he is. If Ireland can get him it would be brilliant."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30531478.html
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Looks pretty good here, although I am not sure what standard of player he is up against.

According to this he is playing the M23!!! He beat a whole motorway!!!

Actually it might not have been a motor way rather the Congolese Revolutionary Army, but impressive nonetheless.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_23_Movement

Turn out in reality is was a Hong Kong FA U23 side.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/as...urnament-vine/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post

Looks pretty good here, although I am not sure what standard of player he is up against.

According to this he is playing the M23!!! He beat a whole motorway!!!

Actually it might not have been a motor way rather the Congolese Revolutionary Army, but impressive nonetheless.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_23_Movement

Turn out in reality is was a Hong Kong FA U23 side.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/as...urnament-vine/

They dont teach defending in Hong Kong tricky - chronic effort by them trying to stop him
    My Country is My Club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Richie Dunne seems to be a fan anyway....

"They have tried with Jack Grealish and maybe if he had come in he'd have been in the squad. If we can get hold of him he is a player who can be a star for Ireland for the next 15 years. I've seen him at training [at Aston Villa] and I have seen a couple of clips of him at Notts County and I have seen how good he is. If Ireland can get him it would be brilliant."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30531478.html
    Dunney also said the same about Clark, that went great didn't it.

On another note see M Keane who many on here are creaming themselves over, was brutal at MK Dons tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

You seem a bit uptight lad?

Im only posting what Dunne said

Big fan of grealish - think he has potential but he has a long way to go - hope he declares for us and becomes what all the scouts and coaches think he can become

As for me - I gave up predicting future Irish stars after Wenger got rid of stokes
    My Country is My Club.

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The doc seems to be particularly critical of any English-born player who is involved with the Irish set-up. Except for one.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yet another Irish legend who won't admit he was wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    that's Ciaran Clark, the English-born player who plays senior international football for Ireland.

On another note see M Keane who many on here are creaming themselves over, was brutal at MK Dons tonight.
    There's a quote button next to every post, would you provide some examples of this "creaming themselves" you mention?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    There's a quote button next to every post, would you provide some examples of this "creaming themselves" you mention?
    Yeah, you can insert images too, y'know...please.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ooh, no thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Hey the doc, how's sean st ledger getting on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Lambert and Keane won't influence any decision on Grealish's international future: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...40826_GREALISH

Quote Originally Posted by Goal.com
    Lambert believes that Grealish must make the decision himself, and neither he nor Keane are looking to influence the winger's decision.

"It's not something we talk about. Whatever country Jack decides to play for we can't influence; that's up to him," Lambert told reporters.

"He's only 18 so I don't talk to him about his international career. I'm more interested in Aston Villa so it's up to Jack what he wants to do."

The Aston Villa boss revealed that he is more concerned with Grealish's club form, and admits that the 18-year-old could be in line to start against Leyton Orient in the Capital One Cup.

"Whatever road he wants to go down, we'll back it," the 45-year-old admitted,

"But first and foremost he's got to keep doing what he's doing and try and hang onto my squad in the first team.

"I think he's maturing well. He has done okay. He's got miles to go in the game but at this minute he has done alright.

"There is a chance he'll start [Wednesday] if he is okay, and I dont have a problem throwing him in - if I thought that (it was a gamble to play Grealish) I wouldn't have had him against Stoke."

Page 38 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast