Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    The lads chatting about him on soccer republic....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/639927/
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    The lads chatting about him on soccer republic....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/639927/

Good point from Sadlier about the finality of the decision. Just because Grealish hasn't declared fully for Ireland while playing for the underage teams doesn't necessarily mean he's cynically taking advantage of the FAI while hoping the English FA will come and whisk him away or anything like that - he just came and played where he was asked to play and his options have remained open because of the rules. And now he's close to that point where he will have to make that choice. And as Sadlier points out, it is a big decision to make for an eighteen-year-old lad with issues of loyalty, identity and career to consider. So I think Martin O'Neill is definitely right in approaching him and saying that he's ready or nearly ready to move him up to the senior squad but to then give him the necessary space to make this decision. So time will tell and I certainly hope he does choose Ireland because if he does fulfil his early promise we could have a really strong midfield for the next decade, but even if he doesn't we'll still be well stocked in that department

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Just because Grealish hasn't declared fully for Ireland while playing for the underage teams doesn't necessarily mean he's cynically taking advantage of the FAI while hoping the English FA will come and whisk him away or anything like that - he just came and played where he was asked to play and his options have remained open because of the rules.
    Exactly. Sadlier made some good points. Jack shows up and does the job for us when asked, so it's not as if he isn't giving anything back in return. We're also well aware of his situation and yet we're more than happy to select him. We're under no duty to continue selecting him, so it would be incorrect to say he's using us. The relationship is bilateral or reciprocal. For what it's worth, I'd prefer it if we did continue selecting him and building ever-stronger links. Trying to force a decision from him by saying "you either accept a senior call-up or that's it" would be downright folly. It'd only arouse resentment.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Who was the other pundit? Was that Dave Connell? He didn't appear well up on the situation.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Who was the other pundit? Was that Dave Connell? He didn't appear well up on the situation.
    Dave Barry. LOI legend but is agony to listen to.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It's Dave Barry.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Sorry, didn't recognise him. I watched him many times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Dave was too caught up in the memory of that goal against Bayern Munich to care about Grealish's international angst.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I was just looking at Forest who won today and are top of the Championship, one of their players Mancienne is eligible to play for
    the Seychelles as well as England as his father is from there.

Note really comparing like with like though as Seychelles are ranked by FIFA at 180. Also he has been playing for England au u21 level.

Mancienne is eligible to play for the Seychelles as his father, Michael Snr, originates from there and is a former Seychelles international midfielder. He rejected the chance to play for the Seychelles national team in 2006 in favour of his native England.[18] However, in November 2008, Mancienne stated that he would play for Seychelles if he doesn't get to play for England by the time he reaches 25

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Tweet about the kid after the Villa game

"Grealish touched the ball 6 times, he got fouled 5 times and got 3 players booked, not bad"

At one point Stephen Quinn absolutely flattened him and got booked, it was quite amusing
    even Jack seemsed to see the funny side of it, welll worth seeing on MOTD2
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 31/08/2014 at 5:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I was just looking at Forest who won today and are top of the Championship, one of their players Mancienne is eligible to play for
    the Seychelles as well as England as his father is from there.

Note really comparing like with like though as Seychelles are ranked by FIFA at 180. Also he has been playing for England au u21 level.
    Yes, tricky, there are indeed dual nationals in the world of football...

If you were to compare Mancienne to anyone though based on the above, it'd be Mark Noble surely; not Jack Grealish who's been playing for us since the age of 14.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Yes, tricky, there are indeed dual nationals in the world of football...

If you were to compare Mancienne to anyone though based on the above, it'd be Mark Noble surely; not Jack Grealish who's been playing for us since the age of 14.
    Granted it is a poor comparison, as is the Noble one really because I don't see the Seychelles ever being in contention for anything
    really, hence I think even people from the Seychelles would rather see him play for England.
    If you dont get a cap before 25 it is unlikely you will ever get one, hence Noble has only one real option, to make himself
    available for Ireland, which he seems to be on the verge of doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    If you dont get a cap before 25 it is unlikely you will ever get one, hence Noble has only one real option, to make himself
    available for Ireland, which he seems to be on the verge of doing.
    It is unusual, but Keith Andrews was 28 when he made his senior debut.

Noble doesn't appear to be all that interested in representing Ireland. He's still talking about getting a call-up for England. My suspicion is that his agent is trying to compel England into selecting him and giving him a chance by raising fears that they'll permanently lose him if he ends up following through with a switch to us.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They're talking about him on MOTD2 now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is unusual, but Keith Andrews was 28 when he made his senior debut.

Noble doesn't appear to be all that interested in representing Ireland. He's still talking about getting a call-up for England. My suspicion is that his agent is trying to compel England into selecting him and giving him a chance by raising fears that they'll permanently lose him if he ends up following through with a switch to us.

Yes I had much the same feeling, seemed more like a "come and get me whilst you can" message to the English FA,
    however it does not really look like they are interested. Keith was a bit of an exception, Ireland were struggling a bit
    more midfield players. Maybe Mark fancies his chances now Lampard and Gerrard have retired, I don't see it happening though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Grealish got taken out 3 times by Hull players earlier after coming on as sub...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Grealish got taken out 3 times by Hull players earlier after coming on as sub...
    Three players were booked for fouling him inside the space of a few minutes. Five players took him out.

There's a compilation of the footage here: https://vine.co/v/OBwuExPLhdE

That was all after six touches of the ball, as tricky said.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ah, was only going on MOTD 2 footage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    5 times I think 3 of them won yellow cards!! Didn't seem to bother him much, go up
    with a smile on his face after a rather crunching body check from Quinn.

Also it seems Grealish wears little or no shin pads and his socks are nearly round his ankles.

This seems a bit mad, but I have been wondering if there is method in the madness.

I am wondering if shin pads actually cause more serious injuries? I expect they give players a false
    sense of security, when you have shin pads on you are probably more inclined to got into a crusnching
    tackle rather than take evasive action.

It is something called Risk compensation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

You take more risks because you feel safer. Apparently seat belts in cars caused more deaths of pedestrians
    and cyclists because drivers felt safer and hence drove faster and more recklessly.

But cars are a bit different to footballers, you can get a new car if you crash it with the driver surviving, it is bit different
    from a footballer, pads only offer limited protection, they may prevent the odd bruise, but you may still end up with a broken
    leg. Also if a player can see you have no protective pads they may be less inclined to put in a really reckless tackle?

Also if you feel less protected yourself I expect you will take more care to avoid such tackles in the the first place.

Risk compensation is a theory which suggests that people typically adjust their behavior in response to the perceived level of risk, becoming more careful where they sense greater risk and less careful if they feel more protected. Although usually small in comparison to the fundamental benefits of safety interventions, it may result in a lower net benefit than expected.[n 1]

By way of example, it has been observed that motorists drove faster when wearing seatbelts and closer to the vehicle in front when the vehicles were fitted with anti-lock brakes. There is also evidence that the risk compensation phenomenon could explain the failure of condom distribution programs to reverse HIV prevalence and that condoms may foster disinhibition, with people engaging in risky sex both with and without condoms.
    By contrast, shared space is a highway design method which consciously aims to increase the level of perceived risk and uncertainty, thereby slowing traffic and reducing the number of and seriousness of injuries.
    Apologies for introducing such high brow stuff to the forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Three players were booked for fouling him inside the space of a few minutes. Five players took him out.

There's a compilation of the footage here: https://vine.co/v/OBwuExPLhdE

That was all after six touches of the ball, as tricky said.
    Thanks for that, just been looking at it it in regard of my risk compensation theory, it seems to
    me the players avoid his unprotected lower legs and hit him higher up the body.

This kind of behaviour is also observed on the roads too apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm
    Wearing helmets 'more dangerous

Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests.
    2,500 overtaking motorists in Salisbury and Bristol were recorded The study found drivers tend to pass closer when overtaking cyclists wearing helmets than those who are bare-headed.

Dr Ian Walker was struck by a bus and a lorry during the experiment. He was wearing a helmet both times.

So wearing a helmet may actually put you at more risk, and the same may go for shin pads!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 01/09/2014 at 2:18 AM.

Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast