Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    @thegawa linked to this...

Padraig won 3 on his own didn't he?

Anyway it would be a better graphic if they had Ireland and showed 6!
    Jesus, are you trying to undermine golfing apartheid in Ireland or something?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Airtricity League XI logo.
    Aye, was thinking it looked slightly different in the blurry newspaper photo. I came across this video interview with McClean (in aforementioned jumper) on ExtraTime.ie. I get the impression the interviewer is being slightly devious with the direction of his early questions, but James avoids anything that might be cause for contention, hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just had my regular wade through OWC there. Always an experience...

Latest on the eligibility "issue", bar the expected general disapproval of Worthington welcoming Alex Bruce's declaration:

Just looking at the ROI u19 squad, who look to be on their way out of the u19 finals courtesy of Spain, there is not one NI born player there. Strangely there is a cousin of Rio and Anton Ferdinand playing for them. I wonder how some of those guys will feel at having been usurped by Nordie Nationalists/Republican former NI players in a year or two, if not sooner.
    Odd point. Why it would be strange that a cousin of Rio and Anton Ferdinand with a Dublin-born father might be playing for us, I'm not sure. Anyway, Shane Duffy was as much a part of the qualifying squads as other players who participated, so I'm sure such players would take losing their place to any Irishman in much the same way. I think Paddy McEleney was also in a squad or two (although didn't play, to my knowledge). I don't see why where he happened to be born or why his political persuasions would make any difference to them.

As for the thread on the prospect of Carál Ní Chuilín visiting Windsor Park for NI's upcoming Faroe Islands game in her capacity as Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure; it makes genuinely startling reading. Or should it? Perhaps the admins on there ought to actually get their act together in light of this. There has been some truly socio-pathic stuff expressed over there from regular posters/site supporters without even a hint of reproach from those supposed to be running the place. Any where else and you'd be booted straight off for openly (and in stone-cold seriousness, I kid you not) wishing car crashes, AIDS or slow, painful deaths on Ní Chuilín and "them all" (presumably Sinn Féin members and their supporters?), but I suppose it's OK when quite a few people are espousing such primitive, backward and downright psychotic views... I've had no problems acknowledging the 'Football for All' programme and I purposefully avoid trotting out the Neil Lennon thing as an issue nationalists need have with the IFA or whoever as I don't believe that exceptional incident to be truly indicative of NI fans, by and large, who appear generally happy with the likes of Niall McGinn in their side, but I'd be stunned if any rational-minded person, no matter what side of the communal divide they come from, didn't feel slightly shocked after reading through the broad consensus along with some of the more extreme views expressed in that thread on Ní Chuilín.

As for Gregory Campbell - an amusing little anecdote here for anyone interest (it is football-related, I swear!) - I'll never be able to get the following image out of my head. I'm sure there's an old video still on the BBC or UTV sites somewhere, but unfortunately I can't put my finger on it at the minute. When Derry City were playing Paris Saint-Germain in the first round of the 2006-07 UEFA Cup in the Brandywell, Campbell was, for some reason (he wasn't even a Foyle constituency representative), interviewed in Guildhall Square on the afternoon before the game. Naturally, the streets were buzzing, the pubs were decked out in red and white bunting, flags and painted messages of luck in the windows. Everyone was pretty excited for what was to be a huge game for the local club. Derry were already on a phenomenal European run, having just made light work of IFK Gothenburg and Gretna in the qualifying rounds. Anyway, the interviewer asked Campbell who he'd be supporting in the UEFA Cup that evening and, true to form, a smug smirk immediately shone across his face before he swiftly reached into his inside blazer pocket and revealed a mini penant he'd been concealing in there. The penant featured not the crest of Campbell's home-city club, nor even a crest of either team playing in that evening's game at the Brandywell. Rather, it had the crest of Glasgow Rangers emblazoned across it. Rangers were to play FK Molde of Norway that night. Maybe I'll find that video again some day if ever they introduce video descriptions to dictionary entries; next to the word "bitter", of course.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Leave them be, DI.

Let their muppets go on shooting themselves in the foot.
    Even if they do collectively need psychological treatment....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Gregory Campbell supports Rangers
    Fancy that. Ye'll be telling us that Queen Anne's dead next.

Have to admit I'd quite like to meet 'minister' Caral Ni C. We're long-past neighbors in the 'hood, but lost touch when she went off to her sociology masters at the University of Armagh nick.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes, she could advise on proper spelling....

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Aye, was thinking it looked slightly different in the blurry newspaper photo. I came across this video interview with McClean (in aforementioned jumper) on ExtraTime.ie. I get the impression the interviewer is being slightly devious with the direction of his early questions, but James avoids anything that might be cause for contention, hehe.
    This kid intimates on his Facebook page that a "switch" to the South would be a runner for him.

Whilst NW has stated he McClean is unlikely to play against the Faroes, I feel he should be introduced for the last minute of the match - if (that's a big if) Northern Ireland are comfortably in control of the game.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    This kid intimates on his Facebook page that a "switch" to the South would be a runner for him.

Whilst NW has stated he McClean is unlikely to play against the Faroes, I feel he should be introduced for the last minute of the match - if (that's a big if) Northern Ireland are comfortably in control of the game.
    No chance. Nigel will punish him for his comments in the newspaper and he won't see a minute on the pitch.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    I feel he should now pass on the call up, if he is being seriously considered by Wigan, or even Champoinship sides, he should back his ability to play for us and not end up regretting it like McGinn has. He can always look at it again later, like Bruce has, if he so wishes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He's not too private about his political persuasions either, I see. How will that sit with the Windsor faithful? By the looks of things, NI fans don't seem too keen on Ní Chuilín and her compadres at the minute.

If Worthington wants to cap him for ten seconds at the end of the Faroes game, that's his prerogative. If McClean is happy with that, fair enough. His choice and good luck to the lad, although I'd personally rather he was on the phone to the FAI if his long-term ambition was to play for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I feel he should be introduced for the last minute of the match - if (that's a big if) Northern Ireland are comfortably in control of the game
    Bad idea. If he's that that good, stick him on at the start or when we need a goal after 45 or 60 minutes. If he isn't, then there's little point him being in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I feel he should now pass on the call up, if he is being seriously considered by Wigan, or even Champoinship sides, he should back his ability to play for us...He can always look at it again later, like Bruce has, if he so wishes
    Maybe he fancies international football per se. Or realises that however much he might wrap himself in the flag etc., Trap or his successor will prefer someone at a higher level even if thew latter only qualifies through his long-dead granny.

and not end up regretting it like McGinn has
    Is there any actual evidence for this?
    Last edited by Gather round; 31/07/2011 at 6:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Maybe he fancies international football per se. Or realises that however much he might wrap himself in the flag etc., Trap or his successor will prefer someone at a higher level even if thew latter only qualifies through his long-dead granny.

Is there any actual evidence for this?
    McClean looks like he may be about to get a move to that higher level though.

And McGinn looking at his boots through the anthem, the picture was posted on here recently, and declaring himself an Ireland fan recently is enough for me.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    McClean might move int othe English Prem as you suggest. More likely he'll be a division lower; in which case someone playing in the Prem would be ahead of him in the queue to play for the Republic.

McGinn hasn't turned down any NI appearances, hasn't shirked during them and seems quite happy enough to remain available for more in future. That's enough for me. I'd prefer he hadn't announced his support for another team quite so publicly but we'll get over it. We've had plenty of other players in the past who clearly were English and presumably supported England as kids and beyond. So have you, be honest.

Only one current NI fan doubles as lead vocalist during the anthem. It might not surprise you that it's wee Warren feeney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The most significant thing that stands out for me in that photo is Rory Patterson's gut. I happened to share a flight with him from Manchester to Derry a few weeks ago and he actually looked in better shape.

That's a different photo to one posted another time though. Baird and McGinn have their heads raised in that with Davis, Patterson and McCourt having heads bowed. Davis must be a closet republican then.

McClean might move int othe English Prem as you suggest. More likely he'll be a division lower; in which case someone playing in the Prem would be ahead of him in the queue to play for the Republic.
    I dunno what chance McClean has of featuring in our side for the near future anyway. He'd be well down the pecking order after the likes of McGeady, Duff, Hunt and Treacy. Trap might even favour Keogh, Lawrence, Fahey or Kilbane ahead of him on the left (or what about utility-man, John O'Shea?); maybe those at Robbie Brady's level too. Even Shane Ferguson might be ahead of him.

We've had plenty of other players in the past who clearly were English and presumably supported England as kids and beyond. So have you, be honest.
    I remember stories of how Andy Townsend had been supporting England against Ireland on the television in a pub during Euro '88 - in his defence, he must have been drunk! - but two years later he was playing for us against them at a World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    The most significant thing that stands out for me in that photo is Rory Patterson's gut
    Now the fat waster's returned to his natural level at the Plues, I'd back Buddha Fester to beat him in the sprint to the lunch queue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    We do have Championship players also, and if he found the level quickly there, did well, who knows where his career may lead, Connor Sammon very nearly joined Scunthorpe days before Wigan gave him a shot at being a Prem player, this coming season will tell us a lot about him, so McClean could end up being an Ireland player, I am just saying if that is what he really wants, he should back his ability to achieve that. As McGinn would if he had his time again maybe? Good luck to him either way.

And as for Mr Warren Feeny's dulcet tones, well done him, but I would see it as slightly more than a reluctance to sing along issue, but, maybe McGinn and Co are just shoegazing in embarrassment at not yet knowing the words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Yeah. That was the best photo I could find DI via the Googlemachine. It demonstrates your point well though.

Couldn't find the one of McGinn and McCourt (?) down on their honkers.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This is the one:

They'd end up in Australia if they crouched any lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    This is the one:

They'd end up in Australia if they crouched any lower.
    They wouldn't be the first Irishmen to end up there for offences against her majesty's rule.

23. Thanks From: