Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    BigWillyJohn's fire is well lit.
    "No, I write articulately, with great gusto and grammar being delivered at a rapid rate of words per minute, intertwined with a focus on using facts which only seem to make those inferior fear my retorts and resort to insults. It is their insecurity and weak positions I expose time and time again, until they insult me, or run away. It is hard to find someone on my intellectual level, I admit, but maybe one day I will find someone with a bit of grey matter to spar with."

I do hope he descended from his throne of empty red bull cans and took a bow after posting that one because it was an absolute belter.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The idea that only NI fans should have a say in the anthem of the team that purports to represent "Northern Ireland" is ridiculous; No surrender to papists, eh?
    That argument kind of presupposes that the majority of the nationalist community wish to be represented by the Northern Ireland side, which obviously isn't the case.

Secondly, a change of anthem would have greater import if it came from within as opposed to having it imposed in some way or other.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    So the issue is solved. Bring Gerry the Catholic onboard and change the anthem and every little Nationalist child in NI will feel part of the community. It's so easy why didn't someone think of this before!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Just out of interest, how and to whom else would you give a say? Count random callers to Nolan or Wendy? Make it an election issue? Force a constitutional amendment?
    Perhaps they'll use the profound 'democratic process' used to create the 'North' in the first place. At the usual cost to the indigenous population.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    That argument kind of presupposes that the majority of the nationalist community wish to be represented by the Northern Ireland side, which obviously isn't the case.

Secondly, a change of anthem would have greater import if it came from within as opposed to having it imposed in some way or other.
    You're right on both points and I don't deny that it's the IFA who must make the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Just out of interest, how and to whom else would you give a say? Count random callers to Nolan or Wendy? Make it an election issue? Force a constitutional amendment?
    I'm almost sure the IFA can be proactive and take into consideration the views of the general NI public (those they reach out to for support) before making a decision on the anthem? How one might do that, I don't know.

I say 'almost', because I don't invest too much faith in the kind of association that would bring young Daniel Kearns, the FAI and FIFA before the CAS thinking that they were going to be vindicated.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Last edited by The Fly; 26/11/2011 at 5:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sproule said: "I never encountered a player who chose the North or the Republic based on the national anthem or the stadium. I shared a dressing room with Protestant and Catholic players and they had no problems with Windsor Park or the anthem.
    How many players who've chosen to play for us over the IFA's teams has Sproule actually encountered? There are plenty of players, even in the current senior team, who bow their heads during the anthem. I believe it's especially prevalent at under-age games where about 60 to 70 per cent of NIs teams are made up of players from nationalist backgrounds. They obviously have some sort of issue with it if they feel the need to make such a visual statement. I have no issue with it because I don't see it as any of my business, but it's obvious some players from nationalist backgrounds who are prepared to play for the IFA do. Even significant numbers of NI fans themselves take issue with the anthem. It's been a running debate on OWC for years.

"Windsor Park is the home of Northern Irish football. It might not be modern but it holds a lot of special memories for me and the supporters.
    And not so special memories for some others such as Neil Lennon, Liam Coyle, Anton Rogan or Donegal Celtic fans...

The reality is that it will long be associated with having once been a stronghold of loyalism. Whether such an association is justified given political progress in recent years and the IFA's 'Football For All' campaign, I'm not so sure, but that's the reality of the situation. I've been to Windsor Park once for a Setanta Cup game and the tunnel/cage surrounded by barbed wire through which the away fans had to walk was like an entrance to a concentration camp. It just looked like something straight out of the darkest days of the Troubles.

"Some players have chosen to turn out for the Republic simply because they believe they will have a better chance of being at the finals of the World Cup or European Championship.
    "I am not disrespecting Paul and it's maybe just a gripe he has with the IFA but his back-page newspaper comments will be wrapping fish suppers soon enough.
    "National anthems and venues were never an issue when I played and I seriously doubt it is the case now."
    It's not as if we're qualifying year in and year out. Besides, I would argue that northern-born players who opt to play for us face as much of a personal challenge in reaching a finals as they would have had they opted for the IFA in the sense that competition for places is greater with the FAI. You can't field more than 11 players, after all. Many of the players who've switched don't even get into our senior squad, or are peripheral members if lucky, but would no doubt be featuring in NI squads, if not starting line-ups, had they opted to stay with the IFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't think they have threads of their own and I don't think it's worth starting two more so here seems as appropriate as anywhere. Anyway, I just read on another forum that Sean McGinty and Michael Keane may be switching from us to England. Anyone aware if there's any truth to the rumours?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Keane was reported in the Star a couple of months back as having switched. McGinty was rumoured too but nothing concrete.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I don't think they have threads of their own and I don't think it's worth starting two more so here seems as appropriate as anywhere. Anyway, I just read on another forum that Sean McGinty and Michael Keane may be switching from us to England. Anyone aware if there's any truth to the rumours?
    Maybe if we Change our national anthem to GSTQ, they will stay with us!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Are they even any good?

As for the uber-sorts from Castlederg, do these people not realise how their kind live unbothered, just a few miles away?
    And before anyone suggests this is 'out of touch' my ancestors had to endure......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I know McGinty's quite highly-rated anyway and the FA have tried to convince him to declare for them before.

Keane is only 18 but made his senior debut for Manchester United in the League Cup against Aldershot Town at the end of last October.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How many players who've chosen to play for us over the IFA's teams has Sproule actually encountered? There are plenty of players, even in the current senior team, who bow their heads during the anthem..
    Ivan is good at mind reading, therefore he can speak on their behalf and state categorically that the GSTQ anthem is a non issue for nationalist players, including those glory hunters who align themselves with the fai.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    McGinty has been treated quite badly by doolin he was playing for the under 19s 2 years ago and cant get in the under 19 squad this season. Hopefully he still sees the bigger picture of an irish career.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McGinty has been in recent U19 squads. He was left out of the Euros in the summer because he missed the qualifiers. No bad treatment there. He's not entitled to a squad place just because he plays for Manchester United's youth team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    McGinty has been in recent U19 squads. He was left out of the Euros in the summer because he missed the qualifiers. No bad treatment there. He's not entitled to a squad place just because he plays for Manchester United's youth team.
    Not true sir Im afraid. Last season he played the first round qualifiers and scored 2 goals as did Brady another player who was later left out and has been the star for the 21s this season. McGinty was not considered for the 2nd round of qualifiers cause the Fa youth cup final was played at the same time as the qualifiers which was an obvious planning mistake from Doolin to allow the qualifiers be on in Fa youth cup week. It is resonable to assume irish players might be involved as for instance the previous season Clifford, Williams, Carruthers and Devine were involved for chelsea and villa. McGinty was then left out of the squad for the finals as a punishment even though he had done nothing wrong and was first choice for the 19s the previous season (in the side with Clifford) and the first half of last season.

This season as a continuation of the hostility McGinty was placed on standby for the first round of under 19 qualifiers even though only Williams from lasts years defence was still eligible yet somehow McGinty had droped from been on standby for the european championships to been behind 4 other defenders who were not deemed good enough to be on standby for theprevious championships. Playing for Utd has nothing to do with it even though he is named in theirchampions league squad and is a regular in their reserves . At least be fair and look at what the lad has done since he started to play for ireland 3 years ago while still at charlton before you throw out 2 statements that are just not true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Since when does the manager decide the dates for the games? All four countries have to agree. You're extrapolating this entire scenario from him being left out of one squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    You have to love this line:

Quote Originally Posted by Sky News
    But, perhaps, the biggest reason they prefer the Republic at the moment has nothing to do with politics.
    That's right. All them there nationalists are only supporting Ireland because they have qualified for the Euros. The breathtaking ignorance is unbelievable. This entire issue is ridiculous anyway and it's just this months issue. Come February there'll be a new angle to digest.

Christ on a bike.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Since when does the manager decide the dates for the games? All four countries have to agree. You're extrapolating this entire scenario from him being left out of one squad.
    Countries have to agree. My point is the one week u dont want is Fa youth cup final week as u have high chance of irish player involvement. Do you think it is accidental that the brits dont play qualifiers in the fa youth cup week? This is surely Doolins responsibility you cant expect some official in the fai to know when an fa youth cup final is. He was not left out of one squad he was left out of the squad for the finals and then again this season the squad for the qualifiers. I think Doolin is makin it clear McGinty wont play again under him. Hopefully the kid does not let that kind of bitterness put him off.