Page 364 of 387 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,280 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    At least my link gave you free access to the whole article, though I hope you paid your $2.
    Without hesitation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just something further on McEleney (and his eligibility) beyond what I wrote in post #7259; last August, he spoke of welcoming recognition from the watching Martin O'Neill (who he referred to as "[his] national manager") during Dundalk's European games: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3919/...sists-mceleney

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kelly
    One individual who has thrown his support behind Stephen Kenny's team is Republlic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill.

The former Celtic boss paid a visit to the Dundalk dressing room in the wake of their impressive win against BATE at Tallaght, hailing their achievement as being on the same level as his side's performance at Euro 2016.

On Monday, O'Neill wished the Louth outfit good luck against Legia and McEleney, who has represented the Boys in Green at youth level, welcomed the recognition from the manager of his national team.

"It's brilliant to get recognition from your national manager on how well you've done," said the Derry native.

"He basically came in and said that it was as good as anything the [Irish] players done in the summer [at Euro 2016] and that was just brilliant to hear because that's what everyone is working hard towards: to be the best.

"Obviously him coming out and saying he would be supporting us - he could be there at the game - it's good to know.

"Obviously you want to play your best for your club first and don't even think about that (catching O'Neill's eye). I'll just do my best and try to do well for the team first."

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    If it does come to the point whereby he gets the call up or is on the verge then I would like if he addressed the NI thing. A simple line in an interview stating "ah, I was just twisting the FAI's arm and had no interest in playing for them" would do me. I don't like the fact that he flirted with the idea of playing for them, for whatever reason.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    If it does come to the point whereby he gets the call up or is on the verge then I would like if he addressed the NI thing. A simple line in an interview stating "ah, I was just twisting the FAI's arm and hiad no interest in playing for them" would do me. I don't like the fact that he flirted with the idea of playing for them, for whatever reason.
    Patrick doesn't have to explain anything unless he wants to. There are northern born players who are comfortable with the idea of playing with either of the two intl teams. Both options are equally valid. That choice is the equivalent of a civil right in football but of course that choice resonates more with Irish social history, past and present, than most other situations.

The IFA/FAI and their football community have to accept that some players who are overlooked from their 1st choice have the option of the other side, and players who are stuck in their 2nd choice by circumstances have the right to switch to their 1st choice.

The small O'Neill's pitch to players like Patrick is that there's a better chance of getting selected by the IFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    If it does come to the point whereby he gets the call up or is on the verge then I would like if he addressed the NI thing. A simple line in an interview stating "ah, I was just twisting the FAI's arm and had no interest in playing for them" would do me. I don't like the fact that he flirted with the idea of playing for them, for whatever reason.
    Ah, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I'd agree with geysir; Paddy doesn't need to explain himself to anyone. He has already volunteered the info you'd like anyway and has put an explanation of his motives into the public domain: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...gue-says-derry

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kelly
    The winger believes that the Republic of Ireland boss will never look to the League of Ireland for senior international players but praised Michael O'Neill and Noel King

Derry City midfielder Patrick McEleney has expressed doubts over Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni's interest in Ireland's domestic league.

Despite the recognition of Airtricity Premier Division players such as Derry's Barry McNamee and Cork City winger Daryl Horgan at under-age level, the Italian tactician has not fielded one player from the League of Ireland since taking over in 2008.

Brian Murphy was called up in November 2009 before his move from Bohemians to Ipswich but did not play and McEleney believes that players need to be plying their trade in Britain in order to catch the eye of the former Juventus boss.

"I think Trapattoni will never look towards our league for senior international players," McEleney told Goal. "You would have to be playing across the water [in Britain] for him to acknowledge you. As for promoting, I'm not sure he would do it."

McEleney is currently awaiting Fifa clearance in order to complete his switch from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland, but the process has been delayed as the player waits for a British passport.

The 20-year-old, who has been capped at under-17 and under-19 level for the Republic of Ireland made the decision to switch after consulting Ireland under-21 boss Noel King and Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill.

"It was just to play international football as quick as I could," he said of his decision to switch international allegiance. "But now the whole passport situation is stopping me which is a nightmare.

"I had a few chats with Noel King and he was fair with me and said he didn't want me to leave," he added.

"But after chatting with Michael O'Neill and Steven Robinson, I like their plans. The passport thing is just annoying because I want to play."

McEleney praised the former Shamrock Rovers boss for his knowledge of the Airtricity Premier Division and also saluted former Derry City and Finn Harps manager Noel King, who has called up several domestic-based players, for his attention to the league.

"Michael O'Neill still knows a lot about our league as he managed in it. Noel King also, he's been at a lot of games, so they do their work on the league," he said.
    He simply wanted to play international football when he considered playing for the IFA (like Niall McGinn did when he decided to line out for NI, for example) and had been frustrated by the fact that the League of Ireland was being ignored by Trapattoni - so Paddy clearly felt a chance to play for Ireland would never arrive - whereas Michael O'Neill had formerly managed Shamrock Rovers, so had a direct and intimate knowledge of the league, and had seemingly outlined attractive plans to/for Paddy.

As we know, Paddy was later told by someone in the IFA that he'd need a British passport and he didn't agree to this - he evidently doesn't regard himself as British and wasn't comfortable with the prospect of obtaining such a passport - so it seems that knocked the idea of switching on the head. Nevertheless, it is clear from his words in this and previous posts that his national or cultural allegiance lies with Ireland; his commitment certainly wouldn't be in question if he was called up by Martin O'Neill.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What was it about the passport? the article says he was waiting for one, that assumes he had applied for one.
    What was McEleney's passport nightmare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What was it about the passport? the article says he was waiting for one, that assumes he had applied for one.
    What was McEleney's passport nightmare?
    We should not assume that he ever applied for a British passport. My understanding is that the "nightmare" or "disaster" (as he described it to the Sentinel) of the situation was that he was told he would need a British passport by the IFA; not that he'd applied for a British passport and was having difficulty obtaining one. If he'd wanted to apply for one, he'd have been able to obtain it very easily.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    We should not assume that he ever applied for a British passport. My understanding is that the "nightmare" or "disaster" (as he described it to the Sentinel) of the situation was that he was told he would need a British passport by the IFA; not that he'd applied for a British passport and was having difficulty obtaining one. If he'd wanted to apply for one, he'd have been able to obtain it very easily.
    If it is the same Sentinel article you are quoting that is dated October 2012, he says “I told Noel King my decision and he tried to get me to reconsider but my mind had been made up. I have talked with Michael O’Neill and U21 boss Stephen Robinson a few times and they were telling me their plans for the future and I was very interested. They both spoke very well and I’m just looking forward to trying to be part of that now.” http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...t-ni-1-4385364

Fast forwrad a year (Sept 2013) and he says "It was just to play international football as quick as I could," he said of his decision to switch international allegiance. "But now the whole passport situation is stopping me which is a nightmare. http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...gue-says-derry

The use of the word "nightmare" is interesting, no? Was it also a nightmare for his brother to switch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    If it is the same Sentinel article you are quoting that is dated October 2012, he says “I told Noel King my decision and he tried to get me to reconsider but my mind had been made up. I have talked with Michael O’Neill and U21 boss Stephen Robinson a few times and they were telling me their plans for the future and I was very interested. They both spoke very well and I’m just looking forward to trying to be part of that now.” http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...t-ni-1-4385364

Fast forwrad a year (Sept 2013) and he says "It was just to play international football as quick as I could," he said of his decision to switch international allegiance. "But now the whole passport situation is stopping me which is a nightmare. http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...gue-says-derry
    He used the word "disaster" in a video-recorded chat with Kevin McLaughlin of the Sentinel in August of 2013. The video of the interview was published on the Sentinel's website although it doesn't appear to be working any longer. I posted this about it at the time:

Patrick McEleney claims he requires a British passport in order to finalise his clearance to play for the IFA (see around 1:30 of the video here): http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...test-1-5344505

"Disaster!"

Is whoever informed him that such is a requirement correct though? Does he imply that Michael O'Neill told him that?

I understood IFA players were not required to possess British passports. In fact, I know certain players have played for IFA under-age teams in competitive fixtures and have been selected for the senior squad whilst being in possession of just an Irish passport.
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101
    The use of the word "nightmare" is interesting, no? Was it also a nightmare for his brother to switch?
    Interesting in what sense?

We can't assume that Shane shared the exact same sentiments or sense of cultural stigma or taboo (in relation to personally applying for and/or possessing a British passport) as Paddy, nor can we assume that Shane's then-existing circumstances (in terms of what passport or passports he may or may not already have had in his possession) were identical to the circumstances of Paddy, as the holder of just an Irish passport, when he decided to switch to the IFA. (Check your PMs.)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    A British passport nightmare?

this would do it for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    On Nolan this morning -

'Morally poor' - NI manager Michael O'Neill hits out over Republic 'poaching' young players

https://audioboom.com/posts/5705488-...-young-players

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    On Nolan this morning -

'Morally poor' - NI manager Michael O'Neill hits out over Republic 'poaching' young players

"FAI were morally poor in their pursuit of a young player"

Once you get past the past the subtext of O'Neill's ungainly pedophile connotations, it was a decent report.
    Chris Donnelly commentator managed to get his word in
    "O'Neill needs to watch the language he uses"
    "The notion that players are being poached is wrong" ("lads are perfectly entitled, ruled upon by CAS. to represent the south").
    "There is the notion that NI owns these lads, they don't"
    "The 2nd problem that O'Neill has is hypocrisy". (no need to list examples used and Danny already has a bulging file)

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Its actually still very surprising that various reps of the NI team and association can trot this tired old stuff out and not get challenged on what they are saying and what they are insinuating. The rules and law are very clear on this point.

This right for soccer players was specifically negotiated during the Good Friday Agreement, right Danny?

Seriously though, if the IFA still cant retain young players who identify as "Irish" (as opposed to Northern Irish or British) after their most successful period since the early to mid 80's then they need to look internally and ask if they are doing all they can to make the experience one that these kids just cant "walk away from". And they very well might be - at which point they need to accept that certain players will always have a stronger affiliation with the Irish team and will likely seize the opportunity - should it arise. Being a Moaning Michael wont fix anything though! Sad!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    On Nolan this morning -

A better, albeit brief, treatment of the matter than I was expecting for a show on the perennially-misinformed/misinforming BBC.

Steve Beacom, although a fan of NI (I think), gave a fair enough outline of the situation, and Chris Donnelly spoke very well on the matter, as ever; he was informed, debunked the misleading "poaching" narrative (by pointing out it was a matter of legitimate entitlement and choice for the players concerned) and also highlighted Michael O'Neill and the IFA's hypocrisy (with specific mention of Johnny Gorman switching from FAI to IFA and Michael O'Neill once trying to convince Sean Scannell to switch to the IFA four months after his last appearance for our under-21s).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think Chris' emphatic statement that the IFA think they own these players was the best line and one that goes to the heart of the matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Noel King strikes back: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-35535864.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McDonnell
    Republic of Ireland U21 boss Noel King has hit back at Michael O'Neill's criticism of the FAI in the latest row over the principle of players switching allegiance from Northern Ireland to the Republic.

Northern Ireland manager O'Neill described the actions of the FAI as "morally poor" after Derry brothers Aaron and Jordan McEneff indicated a preference to move south.

The former Shamrock Rovers boss claimed that the FAI approached the players, whereas King maintains that the McEneffs' father, who hails from Dublin, made the first move.

Asked for his response to O'Neill's criticism, former Derry City boss King rapped back: "The rules are the rules. Listen, we don't deal with politics, we deal with the facts of Fifa. The facts of Fifa are what we obey.

"We also listen to the player, the player has the freedom to choose, it's straightforward.

"If I get an indication that a player wants to come to us and wants me to give him a ring, and I get word that he wants me to give him a ring, it's a possibility that I will do that.

"But each case is very different."

King went on to claim: “There are a load of players who have played for the Republic, I’ll repeat that, who now play for Northern Ireland. You never hear us complaining.”

O’Neill and the IFA would dispute that assertion.

With regards to O’Neill’s “morally poor” label, King replied: “I don’t know what that means. Your morals and my morals might be different. So that means nothing then, does it? It could mean everything.

“I would have spoken to Aaron McEneff, definitely yes,” continued King, denying that the first contact came from the FAI and suggesting that McEneff’s camp got in touch with him.

“Aaron did indicate that he wanted to come and join us. I spoke to Aaron, I spoke to his family, it didn’t come across the line after long discussions. What was best for Aaron and what Aaron’s family thought was best for him, he did.

“I supported that. I can’t understand how Michael O’Neill doesn’t know he has a player in Aaron McEneff. The fact is he is a Northern Ireland player. Does he not know that, Michael? Will he play for the Northern Ireland senior team?

“Look at every country in European football — they all bring in players from different countries. Those are the rules of the competition.

“If you always stick with the idea that the player does what he wants to do — the player talks to his family and they together will decide, they will talk to whichever association they want to talk to, and they will do that. Some players will then make a change. Those are the laws. I don’t understand why there is a big deal about it.

“Maybe someone is trying to deflect attention from something else. Our stance has always been that it is player first. And any parent will put their child first and want the best for their child. That’s the reality.”

In the event, the older McEneff brother Aaron — who plays for Derry City and has represented Northern Ireland at U21 level — remains available to the IFA because discussions with the FAI did not lead to the paperwork going through.

Essentially, because of his age, the next move will be determined by whether the 21-year-old is wanted by either country at senior level.

However, well regarded Arsenal youth Jordan McEneff has made his debut for the Republic of Ireland at U16 level having been involved with Northern Ireland from the age of 11.

The IFA have been frustrated by the FAI’s interpretation of the Good Friday Agreement, supported by Fifa, which means any player born north of the border can opt to throw in his lot with the Republic. James McClean, Darron Gibson and Shane Duffy are high profile examples and King insisted that the FAI are doing nothing wrong.
    Noel King speaks sense and clears up a lot of nonsense. McEneff's father contacted the FAI although King confirms that McAneff never actually switched in the end as the fact he played for NI's under-21s would have rendered him unavailable for our under-21s in the same competition.

I'm stunned though at the usually-reliable and insightful Dan McDonnell citing "the FAI's interpretation of the Good Friday Agreement, supported by FIFA" as meaning that "any player born north of the border can opt to throw in his lot with the Republic".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The cringe worthy elements in the BT article have been edited for some reason and it alters the effect.
    eg in the last line
    "and King insisted that the FAI are doing nothing wrong."
    A denial is tagged onto King, and placed in such a way as to sound similar to a denial usually used by tax avoiding criminal masterminds

Here is the Indo version of that article about the row that rumbles
    Last edited by geysir; 16/03/2017 at 1:33 PM.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm stunned though at the usually-reliable and insightful Dan McDonnell citing "the FAI's interpretation of the Good Friday Agreement, supported by FIFA" as meaning that "any player born north of the border can opt to throw in his lot with the Republic".
    https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/sta...88587467399169

His response on Twitter above.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Imagine the Bellylaugh taking the side of the IFA... madness! INM need to put manners on them.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Noel King strikes back: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-35535864.html

Noel King speaks sense and clears up a lot of nonsense. McEneff's father contacted the FAI although King confirms that McAneff never actually switched in the end as the fact he played for NI's under-21s would have rendered him unavailable for our under-21s in the same competition.

Happy with King's response. Made some salient points. In particular re the traffic going the other way (FAI to IFA).

McEneff situation is quite up in the air. You would have to imagine if he improves to a level of senior international that he has one clear first choice. If NI move in the meantime then he has an issue on his hands. Interesting to learn his aul man is a Dub. Had assumed McEneff was a northern name (which it still probably is but via Dublin in this case).