Page 29 of 60 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Barstool facepalm

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Vinny that used to put together highlights packages for us most weeks, they were often 10 mins long. You could often get a very different sense of the flow of the game from extended highlights like those to actually seeing the game. Not that I need to convince anybody here, but MNS highlights are usually a couple of mins long at most, iirc.
    Could MNS potentially be moved to a Tuesday night (with a different name obviously) to allow a little more time to put together longer/better highlights rather than the 2 minute long ones they do now. Surely they could stretch a few games out to at least 5 minutes of highlights with a bit more time on their hands to do so. That still leaves plenty of time for talking about the game. Right now it seems they just cut to the time of goals or a red card and then might throw in one or two more highlights from a game like its a rushed job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Not sure Bohs would be too happy about the new abbreviation flashing up on their screens every Tuesday evening.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Could MNS potentially be moved to a Tuesday night (with a different name obviously) to allow a little more time to put together longer/better highlights rather than the 2 minute long ones they do now. Surely they could stretch a few games out to at least 5 minutes of highlights with a bit more time on their hands to do so. That still leaves plenty of time for talking about the game. Right now it seems they just cut to the time of goals or a red card and then might throw in one or two more highlights from a game like its a rushed job.
    As its the only game in town, I'll watch MNS no matter how good or not it is, but by jaysus its poor at the moment.

Saying nothing new here, but the balance between highlights and drone drone drone drone drone analysis is so far out of kilter its no longer funny. I've taken to watching it on player and skipping huge sections of it. The only time I watch every second of it is when Kenny Cunningham is on. His eyebrows are hypnotic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I can only assume that this guy is going to be a surprise inclusion in Arsenal's starting lineup, because he's got zero connection with North London:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Today I'm scratching my head toward the outpouring of emotion at a 71 year old man retiring.

Joe Brollys twitter account however, had kept me laughing for a few minutes.

This quote in particular, I quite enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brolly
    "Giving your loyalty to an english soccer club is like endlessly chasing after a woman who has no interest in you."
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I wouldn't knock Alex Ferguson, he did a big turnaround with a club that were not even 2nd best for most of my childhood. He's made money for lots of people and for himself, so fair play. What kicks me in the nuts, however, is hearing Irish media and goms calling him "Sir Alex". Just doesn't fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I wouldn't knock the man either. He's done an unbelievable job, a title every two years on average over 26 years is unbelievable.

But holy feck...the outpouring of emotion in the Irish public is cringeworthy.

Just had an argument with an old school friend of mine. He's never been to Old Trafford. Never put a cent into the club. Never been inside Finn Park, despite living ten minutes from the ground.
    Yet, when I posted a few Joe Brolly quotes on Facebook..he replies simply with "that's bulls**t" and proceeds to tell me how Irish football is crap..just like the Irish team..
    It really makes you wonder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I wouldn't knock the man either. He's done an unbelievable job, a title every two years on average over 26 years is unbelievable.

But holy feck...the outpouring of emotion in the Irish public is cringeworthy.

Just had an argument with an old school friend of mine. He's never been to Old Trafford. Never put a cent into the club. Never been inside Finn Park, despite living ten minutes from the ground.
    Yet, when I posted a few Joe Brolly quotes on Facebook..he replies simply with "that's bulls**t" and proceeds to tell me how Irish football is crap..just like the Irish team..
    It really makes you wonder.
    I wouldn't knock Alex Ferguson either.

What's wrong with the outpouring of emotion in the Irish public? Sure Man Utd are the best team in Ireland!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I wouldn't knock Alex Ferguson either.

What's wrong with the outpouring of emotion in the Irish public? Sure Man Utd are the best team in Ireland!
    Will you cop on to yourself - everyone knows that Shamrock Rovers are the best team in Ireland/Europe

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Reminds me of somebody that gave out about one of our ex-managers for attending a match involving both teams we were playing the following week, when it was on tv. I remember thinking to myself that I would disregard any opinion even remotely related to football that he had after that.
    That's just ridiculous. Any decent manager (Cook, Baraclough, O'Neill, Croly) will go to the game and then use the tapes to enhance their initial analysis. Even Trapattoni has conceded that seeing games in the skin in beneficial to his DVD analysis, and he's watching games that are shot for 100 different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    The timeframe is nothing to do with the shallowness of the coverage on MNS. Soccer Saturday can play extended highlights because they are presented with a huge package that they can edit down. LOI games are shot from one angle and that can get tedious for even the most devoted supporter. LOI coverage will get better once there are multiple camera angles and some of them will have to be provided by the clubs themselves to a professional standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's just ridiculous. Any decent manager (Cook, Baraclough, O'Neill, Croly) will go to the game and then use the tapes to enhance their initial analysis. Even Trapattoni has conceded that seeing games in the skin in beneficial to his DVD analysis, and he's watching games that are shot for 100 different angles.

The timeframe is nothing to do with the shallowness of the coverage on MNS. Soccer Saturday can play extended highlights because they are presented with a huge package that they can edit down. LOI games are shot from one angle and that can get tedious for even the most devoted supporter. LOI coverage will get better once there are multiple camera angles and some of them will have to be provided by the clubs themselves to a professional standard.
    It's one of those things that needs leadership and organisation. If the clubs got together and decided they were going to start shooting professional quality footage from various different angles, it could probably be done. So basically like everything else, it's lost in the sea of short-termism that is the League of Ireland

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The day LOI clubs collaborate together for the long-term health of the league is the day the Catholic Church holds its hands up and says "wow, maybe we were wrong to protect the church's name above the well-being of children".

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Intriguing barstooler experiment launched by Waterford United that could save or break our club. We're playing a Man U XI (presumably their kids/reserves) on the 18th July. Tickets are €30 a pop. Man U's first team will be in Sydney at the time which you'd imagine every big diehard 'supporter' would know. The club will still market it as Man U. Tickets go on sale at the Wexford match tomorrow meaning you have to pay a tenner in before you can buy a ticket. I think the laying of a new running track at the RSC means we might only have the 3000 seats available whereas we got another 2500 standing against Liverpool's youths two years ago (€10 standing).

Now, the big experiment as fas as I'm concerned is that we're testing the elasticity of demand for barstoolers to get off their backsides, get some fresh air and see their 'future heroes'. I have my doubts that we'll sell it out in a town that's on it's knees, but it will be mightily interesting to see and the immediate future of the club depends upon us making a shedload of money from this. It's a massive gamble and will tell a lot about the nature of the local barstoolers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Not calling the team what it is does more harm than good imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The day LOI clubs collaborate together for the long-term health of the league is the day the Catholic Church holds its hands up and says "wow, maybe we were wrong to protect the church's name above the well-being of children".
    I often see comments like this on this forum. What do you suggest clubs do together that will improve the long term health of the league?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    I often see comments like this on this forum. What do you suggest clubs do together that will improve the long term health of the league?
    Or when they're actively working against each other? Only time recently was the P1 proposal, which really depends on which side of the fence you were as to who was working against the greater good. The turkeys even voted for Christmas handing control over to the FAI. Things have calmed down, imo, since we lost the biscuit tin welding one.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Tickets go on sale at the Wexford match tomorrow meaning you have to pay a tenner in before you can buy a ticket.
    Seen this done in Finn Park a few years ago with the Celtic first team coming to town.

About 600 people paid in, got their ticket for the match, and left.

The mind boggles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Take their eyes off the short-term wages arms-race for long enough to put together a concerted and sustained national promotion plan for the league into effect, for one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Seen this done in Finn Park a few years ago with the Celtic first team coming to town.

About 600 people paid in, got their ticket for the match, and left.

The mind boggles.
    Same happened when we were selling Liverpool tickets two years ago. If 600 pay a tenner to get in, then leave, that's still an extra six grand raised so happy days.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Not calling the team what it is does more harm than good imo.
    I hope it sells out.

Page 29 of 60 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast