Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So after a disaster of a presale it seems to be up there now. 3 tickets bought. Roll on NOVEMBER!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Anyone heading to Celtronic in Derry this week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Anyone heading to Celtronic in Derry this week?
    Pah, I'd rather stick 6 inch steel nails into my ears than be subjected to house music and trance/dance for a whole weekend.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Trance?! Who mentioned trance? There's not a single trance act on the line-up. Why the revulsion?

A segment on the festival aired live on BBC Radio Foyle's Electric Mainline yesterday eve: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0318532

I heard this chap, Francesco Tristano, blew the roof off the Gweedore last night, shortly followed by Henrik Schwarz:

Francesco Tristano and Carl Craig - The Melody

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Cork time!

The National time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Ah, Dance, Trance, it's all the same, fabricated midi beats, computerised sh!te.

I know that's probably on the same level as dance lovers labelling all 'rock' as the same, but I can't stand dance music.

That seemed like a nice classical piano piece, until yer man ruined it with the beats in the background. I call that musical blasphemy. ;P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Ah, Dance, Trance, it's all the same, fabricated midi beats, computerised sh!te.
    Ha, I think you should get your ears checked. Or maybe dig a little deeper and give some of it a chance before condemning it with sweeping (and wildly inaccurate) generalisations? I find house and techno infectious, but we all have our personal tastes. I'm not having a go; I just find your perspective interesting as you remind me of one of my housemates who lumps house and techno into this crass, unrefined and, ultimately, personally-imagined happy-hardstyle/trance/zombie head-bopping "utz utz utz" beast to which he has, primarily out of superficial ignorance, presumed it all to relate and I think you may have a mistaken impression as to what I'm talking about, or as to what Celtronic is all about, due to these musical prejudices and false dichotomies you seem to impose.

There's an awful lot of diversity within "dance music", just as there is within any broadly, loosely or even lazily-defined categorisation. Some electronically-produced music is indeed awful; "EDM guru", David Guetta, is simply abysmal, for example. But would you throw, say, Daft Punk, masters of the French house scene (although they have gone very much commercial-mainstream in latter times), into your "Dance, Trance, it's all the same" genre, for example? Progressive house is a more trancey blend of house, admittedly, but otherwise and even so, house and trance are very different. The same applies to techno.

I know that's probably on the same level as dance lovers labelling all 'rock' as the same
    I don't know; why would you assume how I perceive rock music? It doesn't have to be a case of either/or, does it? House shares many similarities with funk, soul and disco, whilst a lot of techno can even generate a heavy rock-like sound. You appear to see some sort of conflict between the two genres and their respective fanbases, as if two separate and distinct monolithic groups exist at odds with one another. I find that strange. Why do self-proclaimed music "lovers" feel a need to tightly pigeon-hole their tastes at the expense of worthy music, lest they leave themselves vulnerable to "misperception" by others or "misrepresent" an identity with which they might not be fully secure for whatever reason?

That seemed like a nice classical piano piece, until yer man ruined it with the beats in the background. I call that musical blasphemy. ;P
    I get the impression you feel it's not "real" music or something because it's "computerised" or electronically-produced. If an artist has the technical and empathetic ability to produce a sound that is pleasurable to the ear or invokes something in people - or a communal mass even - why should it be considered blasphemy or any less real, because he's utilised modern technologies available to him? Much rock music itself undergoes digital production and isn't averse to utilising the available technologies of the day, be they electronic or whatever. It's called creativity. Certainly, techniques may differ, but all music is manufactured, or "fabricated", to some degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I never understood why it's called 'dance' music, you can't even jive to it??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

I know that's probably on the same level as dance lovers labelling all 'rock' as the same, but I can't stand dance music.

Bit of a generalisation there lad. I agree that the dance music you here in most nightclubs is rubbish and most of the stuff or radio, tv etc. Loads of great acts that would calls a dance, Orbital, The Prodigy, The Orb, Basement Jaks, Groove Armarda to name but a few
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Shh..I just don't like to admit when I'm wrong.

Put it this way, I can listen to 99% of music in general. I have probably one of the most broad tastes in music that I can think of amongst all my friends and family. One day you'll find me listening to Metallica, Lionel Ritchie, Waylon Jennings, and Rachmaninov all one after the other.

I have a fondness for Daft Punk, but maybe only two albums, they have an awful lot of drivel.

I love a good old disco tune. Boney M are absolutely classic and timeless.

I do admit, what I meant in large, was popular dance music is just complete and utter tosh.

My original point was somewhat tongue in cheek without really checking out the whole lineup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Heading to electric picnic this weekend, my first time attending.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Heading to electric picnic this weekend, my first time attending.
    My seventh time and first since 2009.

Cannot bloody well wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Assh0les.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Saw an Electric Picnic go for €800 on Ebay the other day. Kids these days, no recession for some people, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Saw an Electric Picnic go for €800 on Ebay the other day. Kids these days, no recession for some people, etc.
    I sold my spare EP ticket for 150. Face Value. I'm a Martyr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Soooooooooooooo...

John Grant, March 3rd. Olympia. Do it.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/john-gran...&minorcatid=60

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I might have a bit of that. His new album is super and I'm not usually into electro stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Seriously. Do it. He has been immense everytime (3 times) I've seen him and at EP this year definitely knocked himself into a position near the top of the All-time list.

And get Queen of Denmark (His first album) while you're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Anyone going to Primal Scream in the Olympia 27th of this month? I have a spare ticket and looks like am going solo so if anyone wants to be my pretend mate for the night let me know...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Status Quo, original frantic four, April 2014. Yes!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast