Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The La Liga Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Were Sheffield United really in the shadows to that kind of extent? I'm not being presumptuous, I'm just a bit ignorant of both clubs histories pre-1990s.

Totally agree regarding Atletico, their consistency under Simeone has been incredible.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Tongue in cheek 😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ha that occurred to me but it was nicely disguised with the other examples being legit

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    At least Real Madrid have recent and historical domination, whereas I can't remember when Shamrock Rovers had real top-dog-in-the-city form, could it be as long as 40 years ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and La Liga already over really and we haven't even hit March.
    I may have spoken a little too soon. Bayern had a shock defeat at home to Mainz last night with Dortmund winning again. Only five points between them now and they meet in Dortmund on Saturday.

Gary Neville had another very good win after the setback at the weekend, Valencia came from behind to win 2-1 at Malaga. They were helped by a comical own goal from the Cameroon goalkeeper Carlos Kameni.

It's Juventus v AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final after Juve threw away a 3-0 first leg lead against Inter at the San Siro but squeezed through on penalties.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Valencia lost at home against Atletico Madrid, they were pistol whipped. No white hankies for Gary but there was the banner raised after the final whistle, "Gary go home".
    There is a big gap separating the rest from Bilbao upwards.
    I'd expect Bilbao to beat Valencia and go through to the last 8 of the EL.
    Gary might survive, but I suspect there is not the will to give him the job long term unless he produces some sparks this season

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Sky was the limit for Gary.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Very good Fly.

i've heard it said that Hodgson's self confidence faltered somewhat in Brazil and he took on board too much of Gary's defensively suspect attacking formation theories. I don't know if that has any merit, probably Roy leaked that one.
    Taking over the coaching role at a huge club like Valencia who were going through a dubious time of transition and with half the team out injured, was not just a mere difficult task for a kid like Gary, it was doomed to end like this.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBench View Post
    Any possible replacements for Gary? Mourinho seems to be the favourite.
    You'd imagine Benitez as they'd love to have him back. I'm not sure Valencia would have enough potential for Mourinho to be tempted.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Ray Hudson is in fine form in beIN's coverage of El Clasico

He likened one player's role to that of the seeds inside a cucumber.
    That could mean a lot of things, might mean nothing, might be a complement, might not be.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Such a difference not to have Mourinho involved in El Clasico.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Three years on I'm kind of used to him not being involved! I was delighted Real won. I actually can't stomach Barca at all regardless of aesthetics. I'd have preferred if Bale's perfectly good goal won it though. The referee made life tough for himself, booking Ramos after ten minutes for decent was a silly move as he ended up chickening out of giving him the second yellow about four or five times before he eventually did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    In that case probably Barca are best avoided, because witnessing another magical aesthetic goal from that twát Suarez, assisted by Messi (half decent) after the sleazy Neymar dribbled past 4 defenders, would be very bad for the health.

How did your stomach survive through most of the past 8 seasons?
    5 LL 3 CL titles and likely to add to that lot this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Dissent I meant, not decent!

I haven't always disliked them, it's been a kind of gradual thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I haven't always disliked them, it's been a kind of gradual thing.
    Why can't you stomach them?
    Last edited by The Fly; 06/04/2016 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Why can't you stomach them?
    Good question, like I said, it wasn't always so. Any reasoning might be flawed and/or petty. Alves and Mascherano bother me just by looking at them. There are probably others I should be more repulsed by, Busquets and Suarez in particular, but for some reason they don't bother me as much. My dislike may have started/heightened when Ancelotti took over at Real Madrid and Gareth Bale followed, I like these two chaps so maybe Barcelona became the enemy a little bit. I would have been respectful of their period of dominance from Rijkaard through to Guardiola, but never really took to the latter. I find him smug and pretentious and these aren't exactly traits I'd disassociate with the club generally. I suppose I was happy enough to see their dominance seemingly come to an end when they lost 7-0 on aggregate to Bayern Munich, not that I've any great love for them either. It's a little frustrating that they become so strong again, so soon, without seeming to do an awful lot (other than bring in the likes of Rakitic, Neymar and Suarez that is!). I've just had my fill maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Good question, like I said, it wasn't always so. Any reasoning might be flawed and/or petty. Alves and Mascherano bother me just by looking at them. There are probably others I should be more repulsed by, Busquets and Suarez in particular, but for some reason they don't bother me as much. My dislike may have started/heightened when Ancelotti took over at Real Madrid and Gareth Bale followed, I like these two chaps so maybe Barcelona became the enemy a little bit. I would have been respectful of their period of dominance from Rijkaard through to Guardiola, but never really took to the latter. I find him smug and pretentious and these aren't exactly traits I'd disassociate with the club generally. I suppose I was happy enough to see their dominance seemingly come to an end when they lost 7-0 on aggregate to Bayern Munich, not that I've any great love for them either. It's a little frustrating that they become so strong again, so soon, without seeming to do an awful lot (other than bring in the likes of Rakitic, Neymar and Suarez that is!). I've just had my fill maybe.

Drugs perhaps?

I've never really liked them and their dominance hurts. Aesthetically eugh... Aesthetics don't always entertain me.

It says it all that I was over the moon when Bayern (the most evil of them all) beat them a few years back. And that I was up for Juve in the CL final last year, despite their even more disgraceful acts over the decades. But Pirlo...

I think there's just something really smug about the whole club and there's always been this "holier than thou" attitude that emanates from them. With Real you know they are pure evil so all is well with them being the villains and you just get on with it, but with Barca... "Mes que une club"... me boll...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I'm going to Villareal v Levante at El Madrigal next Friday. My son's U10 school team has an annual football trip to Spain and it's his (i.e., MY!) turn this year.

According to the itinerary he has two matches against local teams and no fewer than 5 90 minute sessions "with Villareal CF" (whatever "with" means) at the first team's training ground. We're only there for a few days, two days involve morning and afternoon training.

We also get a tour of El Madrigal and a tour of the Nou Camp before flying home from Barcelona. Can't wait.

Any good players at Villareal or Levante I should be aware of?

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Drugs perhaps?

I've never really liked them and their dominance hurts. Aesthetically eugh... Aesthetics don't always entertain me.

It says it all that I was over the moon when Bayern (the most evil of them all) beat them a few years back. And that I was up for Juve in the CL final last year, despite their even more disgraceful acts over the decades. But Pirlo...

I think there's just something really smug about the whole club and there's always been this "holier than thou" attitude that emanates from them. With Real you know they are pure evil so all is well with them being the villains and you just get on with it, but with Barca... "Mes que une club"... me boll...
    I really like Barcelona, although I am suspicious of their fitness levels in context of Spain's PED culture and reputation.

I do buy into the "more than a club" thing but I think it'd hard for all clubs with a rich tradition to stay true to their principles in the mega bucks age. I like that they are the anti-Franco institution, the nationalistic outliers, the anti-establishment establishment etc. I like how they play and (tax affairs aside) they have a brilliant role model in Messi.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast