Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundalk FC up for grabs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Dundalk FC up for grabs!

Dundalk Democrat reports today that Gerry Matthews is considering a number of offers for the taking over of Dundalk FC. Interesting times ahead and it is doubtful that there will be a smooth transition of ownership. GM has done some great things for DFC but there is a general consensus among supporters that a new direction is needed for the club to continue moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Most Dundalk fans applaud Gerry Matthews for the job he has done. A few years ago we were stuck in the graveyard and going nowhere fast. But it seems as he has taken us as far as he can go. Plus its well documented that his other business ventures (mainly property) are struggling in the current economic climate. The whole thing about where the profits of the Youth Development Centre (YDC) now commonly referred to as The Entertainment Centre and the lack of information on the whole project is causing disgruntlement amongst some fans. He has make some bad decisions on his day as well. The sacking of Dave Rodgers rightfully or wrongfully was the wrong course of action to take, as was the dismissal of Lisa Kelly, and the whole Cian Hughton situation annoyed alot of fans. The biggest problem I have is that he seems to have little interest in football. Alot of people say he rarely makes it to matches (including the Setanta Cup Final) and there seems to be a clear lack of communication between him, the board and the manager. I think any football club owner should have a love for football.

There is no doubt he has had good business mind but this has taken us this far, many want to go onto the next step. I think something new needs to happen at the club because we are currently stagnating. Fans are not coming out in the numbers as they did in previous years (the rescission is a factor here). A takeover won't be easy due to Gerry Matthews interest in the YDC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    From Dundalk Democrat:

Dundalk FC SET TO CHANGE HANDS

Matthews reveals two offers on table for club

By James Rogers

DUNDALK FC could be set to change hands, the DUNDALK DEMOCRAT can exclusivley reveal. Club owner Gerry Matthews has admitted to this newspaper that two offers are currently on the table to take over the running of the club from him.
    While no decision has yet been made by the local businessman on the two proposals, he admits that it is likely he will accept one of them.
    The first proposal is by Dundalk FC coach Ciaran Bond, who has a group of investors behind him. The second has been put forward by the Dundalk FC Trust, who are understood to have put together a comprehensive stufy and analysis of various member groups who own their own club. Their proposal is believed to be loosely based on the 400 Club operated by Shamrock Rovers.
    When questioned about the two proposals by the Dundalk Democrat, Mr Matthews said there was "no decision made" as yet.
    He said: "There are two options really - firstly to leave things as they are or secondly to go with one of the proposals. I'm looking at all options at the minute but it's fair to say that it probably will end up changing hands."
    Matthews took over the running of Dundalk FC just over five years ago in August 2006. Since then the club has got back on a sound financial footing and returned to the top flight of the Premier Division. Success has followed on the field too with a lucrative Europa League campaign last year being followed up with a run to this year's Setanta Cup Final.
    The local developer, who also owns ToolFix in Dublin Street, has invested heavily in the club over the past five years, building a new shed and the lucrative Youth Development Centre. It is understood that he will remain in charge of the centre regardless of what decision he makes about the clubs future.
    He admitted to the Dundalk Democrat, however, that he would prefer a "clean break" from the club where he to accept either offer and would likely vacate his position on the board.
    "Both of these sets of people approached me so it wasnt something I was thinking about. Over the next few days I will look further into both offers and decide what is best for the club."
    Matthews admitted that time was somewhat of the essence with a number of contracts. including that of manager Ian Foster, set to expire in November. However, he insisted there was no time frame in place to make a decision.
    The CEO said he would discuss the matter with supporters following Friday night's home match against Bohemians. He said: " We're playing Bohs at home on Friday night and I'd like to have a buffet that night after the game to explain what we're doing and to tell supporters of where the club was and we'd like it to be going forward.
    Matthews said no matter what his decision he would always try to help the club going forward, insisting he had a "passion for the club".
    He admitted that each proposal had "pitfalls" but added that he was "impressed by both"
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    this will end badly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    We will know in a couple of weeks but undoubtedly stormy waters ahead, though not in the same league as the Cork Foras v Coughlan affair! The Matthews/Dundalk FC relationship regarding the YDC(Entertainment centre) is the make or break. A mutually beneficial agreement would ease things. The fact that the building is on both Casey Trust land and Matthew's land will make for interesting discussion if GM trys to 'have his cake and eat it'! Worrying nonetheless. Ideally the YDC will be purchased or the development repayments will part of the new investors plans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    hope ye can take control yourselves anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    hope ye can take control yourselves anyway
    Agreed, owners/investors always seems to end in tears for the clubs

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    who is lisa kelly lads? hope ye get the ownership issue sorted once GM leaves..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    who is lisa kelly lads? hope ye get the ownership issue sorted once GM leaves..
    Used to do PR for the club, won an unfair dismissal case against GM.
    Last edited by Dunny; 13/09/2011 at 10:37 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken she was their Commercial Manager up until a year or two ago. Gerry Matthews sacked her after their romance finished, she took a unfair dismissal case against the club and got a decent settlement.

EDIT Dunny beat me to it!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Update:

Unlike previously stated – no final decision will be made at this meeting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Strong rumours down here that Pat O'Sullivan will be tabling a bid with a view to changing to an all blue kit and moving the club a couple of hundred miles.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    How long is Roddy's contract at Monaghan then?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    How long is Roddy's contract at Monaghan then?
    Now, now, just because he jilted Longford no need to suggest he'll get a bunch of investors to take over Dundalk :-)

Horrible visions of the civil war and bloodletting that happened when the McGuills were forced out and the Co-Op (won't name the man) took over to run the club into the ground. Worrying times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Convenient omissions there Spud eg the McGuills refusing new investment as they would not allow hold on the board be diluted -the Donnellys being one example, and they certainly had an impact at another club didnt they!! Also where do you think the club was for the need for the co-op concept to be suggested in the first place.??? Anyhow what is important is to have this resolved soon so as to get player and management contracts sorted. Ezekial is very quiet these days!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

who is the coach

looking to bring in investors, is he loyal to the club. From the outside looking in it looks like a stroke from someone trying to screw the supporters. Find someone who will have "investors" make a offer, highlight it a bit in the press you never know someone might come out of the woodwork, Supporters get riled up and out bid the pretend investors and the owner has the perfect scenario of so called "investors" and the supporters who love their club. Be careful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    From Orielweb : Colm being the programme editor for those who have purchased one, and mainstay of DFC Trust.

Sorry for any breaking of forum etiquette with the new thread – but I wanted to highlight this issue separately. GM did get page 1 of the Demo after all! Also, apologies for the length of this post - but it's a very complicated issue as you can imagine.

Firstly, Gerry has every right to go to the papers and say whatever he wants. He is the owner of the club after all. However, the article in the Democrat is misleading. I don’t think Gerry deliberately attempted to mislead – but I think it has caused some understandable confusion.

The DFC Trust has not made a final proposal for a takeover of the club. At this point we are simply investigating the potential for a model of ownership that gives full or majority ownership into the hands of Dundalk FC supporters.

The other bid has also not been finalised. I don’t want to misrepresent Ciaran’s option but they also have not actually submitted a “bid”. There have just been verbal discussions.

The DFC Trust proposal and the proposal from Ciaran Bond are not necessarily rival proposals. However, the DFC Trust has to put some contingency plan in place to ensure some system of ownership and management exists at the club considering the fact that Gerry has stated his desire to us that he wishes to step away from the ownership of the football club.

The principles of the DFC Trust proposal are:

1. The formation of a new company that will be owned by members.

2. The club’s board to be elected by the membership.

3. The company to be open to private investment – but not at the expense of gaining control of the ownership of the club. We believe that the club should not be in the “control” of just one or a handful of people.

4. The business of the club to be divided into several management groups each taking on a particular area of responsibility. From merchandising to organising promotions to boost attendances – there is huge scope for improvement in every area of the club that generates revenue. We are trying to raise support for people to transform these areas of the club and make them profitable. The feedback so far is quite good but a lot more work is required in this area. Some of these areas may require just one meeting a month – or could even be managed using online solutions to help people who might not be able to get to a meeting. Anybody who wants to be involved – no matter where you are – should be able to play your part in an active way.

It’s late at this point so I can’t get into a huge amount of detail. But our proposal will only become an offer if and when a process of due diligence takes place so that we are fully aware of all the financial implications of taking over the football club.

We need agreement with how the YDC will benefit the football club and full awareness of any outstanding creditors or potential problems that may arise.

So far, these discussions are heading in the right direction I'd have to say - but clearly there is still a lot to do.

The proposal also depends on people agreeing to join the management groups to get involved in the club. It’s very much a bottom-up approach so that we have effective and workable structures in place. Without this, I doubt very much this proposal will be workable.

We also, quite obviously, need the support of the fans.

I’d ask people to remain open minded about a supporter ownership solution for the club.

What we are proposing is completely different from the Co-Op system. Also, I’d be very very wary of judging the potential success of such a model on the current uptake on the Patron Scheme. The Patron Scheme is a valuable fundraiser – an overall club membership package is a completely different animal.

So, hopefully that helps explain the situation somewhat from our perspective. We can’t give a full outline of our proposal until we have more discussions with the current owner.

We are not ruling out working with Ciaran and his investors at all and I’d imagine that this would be discussed in the coming days. Also, the discussions I’ve had with Gerry Matthews on this have been very positive also. This is not a hostile process – or at least not from the DFC Trust’s perspective anyway.

All of this is happening very quickly (just over the past week or so) so a lot of things might change.

The best way to understand our proposal is to meet with us. We have started the process of small think-tank’s to discuss our ideas and to explain our vision for the football club.

I’m sure we will be holding a public meeting at some point. I am very unclear about what is going on at the meeting after the St Pat’s match. However, if you would like to come along to one of these small, informal discussions then let me know. Email me at colm.murphy@dundalkfc.com and I will make arrangements to get you fully up to speed.
    Colm Murphy

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Now, now, just because he jilted Longford no need to suggest he'll get a bunch of investors to take over Dundalk :-)

Horrible visions of the civil war and bloodletting that happened when the McGuills were forced out and the Co-Op (won't name the man) took over to run the club into the ground. Worrying times.
    Ha, I'd say it was a lucky escape but it wasn't luck just foresight on the club's part thankfully! It's a shame he fell out with these successful developer pals of his that shockingly turned out to be have no money and be mortgaged up to the hilt. In all seriousness though good luck to the Dundalk fans with everything.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I heard a rumour that Nick Leeson and Sean Connor are putting together a DVD on why they'd be the perfect team to take Dundalk forward.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

25. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast