Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 Team Premier Division / Winter Season from 2012/13 TODAY'S DAILY MAIL

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Why are people saying the clubs think this will be a panacea? It's far more likely that they think it's just a small step in the right direction. To dress it otherwise is tending towards the hysterical.

And some of the arguments I've read about how terrible winter football is are very amusing. You'd almost think we didn't have a league running here in winter for the best part of a century. Or that football didn't become the country's biggest spectator sport with almost every league playing through the winter.

A lot of fuss about very little really.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Why are people saying the clubs think this will be a panacea? It's far more likely that they think it's just a small step in the right direction. To dress it otherwise is tending towards the hysterical.

And some of the arguments I've read about how terrible winter football is are very amusing. You'd almost think we didn't have a league running here in winter for the best part of a century. Or that football didn't become the country's biggest spectator sport with almost every league playing through the winter.

A lot of fuss about very little really.
    Why is it even a small step in the right direction? Is there any evidence that, overall, it will be any way beneficial to the League?

Its a sideways step IMO.

The one concrete near fact is that our European performances will be negatively impacted. Its highly likely they will be even more negatively impacted by the decreased wages in the League, but winter football won't improve it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    The one concrete near fact is that our European performances will be negatively impacted. Its highly likely they will be even more negatively impacted by the decreased wages in the League, but winter football won't improve it.
    Any concrete facts around how european performances actually benefit the league in total?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Any concrete facts around how european performances actually benefit the league in total?
    Or even how they've benefitted the clubs themselves?

Best performers in europe in the last 7 years; Cork, Derry, Shels, Pats, Drogheda. Only Pats haven't been relegated and our European runs haven't added many to the gate (if any at all)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

Best performers in europe in the last 7 years; Cork, Derry, Shels, Pats, Drogheda. Only Pats haven't been relegated and our European runs haven't added many to the gate (if any at all)
    I've got a lot of quality photos and I'm still paying the bills...... but I've yet to see one reason to justify changing season.

Surely the onus is on those requesting the change to demonstrate why its beneficial rather than the other way around?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

Surely the onus is on those requesting the change to demonstrate why its beneficial rather than the other way around?
    It could have been argued before the last change as well, but we are where we are now with summer football. I think there are few compelling arguments to be made for the advantage of one over the other, so for that reason I'd say we should leave it alone.
    Last edited by osarusan; 28/10/2010 at 1:38 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Suppose the positives will be the fact you wont be competing with GAA. Also the organisation of the Setanta cup should be a lot easier.

Outside of that I fail to see how else it would benefit the league moving from Summer to Winter.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Suppose the positives will be the fact you wont be competing with GAA. Also the organisation of the Setanta cup should be a lot easier.

Outside of that I fail to see how else it would benefit the league moving from Summer to Winter.
    Tha GAA don't play on Friday evenings though, so I don't think the competition is as much as some people say it is. It's probably too much to ask of Pineapple Stu to compare the attendances during weekends with GAA to the other weekends, but I doubt there'd be too much of a significat difference when you take into account that the non-GAA games take place away from the key beginning and end of season periods.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Or World Cups, or having a mid season break. And the fact that crowds are better at the start and end of the season when the weather is generally worse.

The reason why it should be the summer side justifying the retention is that it was a move from the traditional season that had served us relatively well (we'd survived that long anyway!) up until the move. Summer season is still a break from the norm. The assumptions about it being direct competition from UK football, and the weather being bad have turned out to be false - crowds are down during the UK close season, when the weather is at it's best. A winter season won't be a panacea or a silver bullet - it will be back to the traditional times were the clubs obviously feel they can maximise support they have.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I've got a lot of quality photos and I'm still paying the bills...... but I've yet to see one reason to justify changing season.

Why that's true, in this case you're using Europe as a reason to stay in Summer. I'm saying that European results haven't helped the league so its pointless bringing it up.

I'm not in charge of any club but I prefer Winter football. I'll still go in summer
    ---

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    It's probably too much to ask of Pineapple Stu to compare the attendances during weekends with GAA to the other weekends
    Yes; yes it is.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

So are you hoping you will snatch that final euro place this weekend or not, or does it matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Its enjoyable for fans yeah. Might bring in the odd shilling in the short term.

Hasn't helped us bring in any fans
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I've no preference for summer or winter football. I was surprised it came up as an issue though.
    On the subject anyways, one argument put forward for summer football is European results. TNS of Wales seemed to get on ok against Boh's this summer. Pre-season training usually lasts 4-6 weeks? If there was a mid-July start, sides in Europe could get back training in early June.
    On possible poor crowds in Winter. Magner's league games get good crowds in Winter. GAA Junior, Intermediate and Senior club Provincial and All-Ireland series games get good crowds as well despite the time of year and the conditions. It comes down to the games and the level of interest. I'm not sure the time of year matters all that much and attendances will go up or down either way.
    For the A Championship, a move to winter football might be best. If clubs want to apply, it'd be easier to join in the summer and if they want to leave the A Championship, it's easier to leave in the spring/summer and drop into whatever league in the summer/autumn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    For the A Championship, a move to winter football might be best. If clubs want to apply, it'd be easier to join in the summer and if they want to leave the A Championship, it's easier to leave in the spring/summer and drop into whatever league in the summer/autumn.
    It's much easier to get players to sign for your A Championship side in the current setup than it would be if it was ran during the winter imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have a mate from England who went to the Elfsborgs game, has now been back twice since, bought a replica shirt, drunk in McDowells and considers himself a Pats fan.

I worry he is the sole exception to prove the rule, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Performing well seems to be dismissed or seen as something that should be seen as a bonus. I guess it is a bonus in someways but performing in Europe is surely important for the promotion of the league. There have been good results here and there but no club have consistently done well. Boh's missed a good chance this season to have a good-run to the Europa League play-offs. Good results over a few years, it doesn't necessarily have to be group stage qualification but knocking on the door would raise the league's profile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    It's much easier to get players to sign for your A Championship side in the current setup than it would be if it was ran during the winter imo.
    I'd have thought it'd have been easier in the summer when players have finished the season with a club and might want to take on a challenge for the new season. It's not easy for new clubs to come or go in the summer season to/from a winter season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

You don't no that Dodge, I'm sure if you went around the Saints fans in Sligo tonight some of them would be there because they got hooked from a European game they went to over the last few years
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I guess it is a bonus in someways but performing in Europe is surely important for the promotion of the league.
    But it's been pointed out that performing (relatively) well in europe hasn't raised the profile of the league in general, and hasn't even resulted in a significant improvement in the attendances of the teams that perfromed in Europe. As Dodge pointed out earlier, of all the teams that had decent runs in Europe, St. Pats are the only team that aren't suffering for it now. Even overachieving in Europe through unsustainable wages to players hasn't helped the league or the clubs themselves.

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast