Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The play-off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Not a notion of the above happening, you obviously not around the last 3 months.
    GUST is re invigorated and working heavily with the Board of GUFC and huge strides have been made to integrate the club with its supporters. GUFC is going nowhere, I hope we survive the play offs but even if we dont the club has shag all debt directly connected to it.
    I hope you're right Geezer, I hope you're right . . . . .
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Galway - Bray is nearly a confirmed fixture at this stage.
    There is still a lot of possibilities in Division One. I'd imagine Monaghan will finish second, getting the home advantage against either Waterford or Shelbourne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Can someone clarify to me about promotion/relegation. Is it bottom two in premier get relegated, and third from bottom goes into a play off with third from top in the first division?
    P
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Only bottom goes down automatically. Then the play-offs are 8th vs 9th in the premier and 2nd vs. 3rd in the first division. The loser of the premier division match then plays the winner of the first division match over two legs for a premier division spot.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Only bottom goes down automatically. Then the play-offs are 8th vs 9th in the premier and 2nd vs. 3rd in the first division. The loser of the premier division match then plays the winner of the first division match over two legs for a premier division spot.
    And then they all stay up and the team that wins the league goes down
    Here on a technicality.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Hopefully this season everything will go smoothly and based on results on the field of play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Play-offs:
    Tues. 2 November 8th placed Premier v 9th placed Premier Match A
    Tues. 2 November 2nd placed First v 3rd placed First Match B
    Fri. 5 November Winner of Match B v Loser of Match A
    Mon. 8 November Loser of Match A v Winner of Match B

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

long

Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    I hope you're right Geezer, I hope you're right . . . . .
    long way to go, and it is very hairy at the moment but its very manageable

oh that sounds like the governer of the central bank talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It seems so far away... these next 2 games are going to be a killer... Not looking forward to the arch-end of season ruiners on Friday and as for the Blas on Saturday week. Christ. I'm gonna hit Kennedy's for a few well beforehand.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Having seen Monaghan, Derry, Shels and Waterford this season, all 4 are weak teams compared to the PD sides and I would be amazed if any of them have enough to topple a PD team over two matches. Drogheda will be the only team relegated from the PD this season for me.
    I am afraid I will have to disagree with you here. Derry for one defeated Galway in the League Cup with their reserves and lost by one goal to a fully fit rovers team. Yes they under performed against Bray in the two FAI Cup games but with a full squad on I feel they could defeat either Drogs, Bray or Galway. Monaghan also are a very well organised team and they made life hell for Sligo rovers (easily the best passing team in the Premier this year) in both of their cup games and like Derry could beat any of them. As for Waterford, strong at home but very ropey away and Shels in the three games I have seen them in were very poor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousDee View Post
    Monaghan also are a very well organised team and they made life hell for Sligo rovers (easily the best passing team in the Premier this year) in both of their cup games.
    Not really though, not the games I was watching anyway.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    any chance of these games being televised. the final i mean not the first play offs. if setanta did the league cup final then there is a chance!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    TG4 did the play-off final last year (both legs), but seeing as they haven't shown any LOI this year, it's doubtful if they would do it. Setanta showed the second leg of the play-off final the year Rovers went down a few years ago.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    If we play the way we played tonight and bring back in O'Donnell, Sheppard, Foley etc., I would be more confident now on Galways chances of getting through the play-offs successfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Its a real pity we have to face this play-off now. 11 points ahead of Bray, the league table doesn't lie. But we've known since the year began that if we ended up 8th, we'd face a play-off. Huge morale boosting win tonight though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Its a real pity we have to face this play-off now. 11 points ahead of Bray, the league table doesn't lie. But we've known since the year began that if we ended up 8th, we'd face a play-off. Huge morale boosting win tonight though
    I agree with you that the league table doesn't lie and that Galway deserved to finsih ahead of us 100%. It is however worth noting that after starting the season with a squad prepared for first division football we picked up 5 points from our first 16 games (pre world cup break). It's all if's and but's but it is interesting to wonder what would have been if we knew what division we were playing in before the season started.

Anyhow, it matters not. We're into a playoff now in Galway, may the best team win
    Mind you, with all the talk about a 16 team league it's easy not to fear relegation so much. We'd all rather be in the Premier next season though, both squads should be right up for this game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousDee View Post
    I am afraid I will have to disagree with you here. Derry for one defeated Galway in the League Cup with their reserves
    In fairness thats a terrible example to give. If I remember correctly Galway went into that match with a squad of 14, had their left full Ryhs Meynell in goals, and Seamus Coneely who had played another match earlier that day, and they only narrowly lost that match.

I think we would do alright if we got a playoff spot. I kind of fancy us if we were to get third and play Monaghan. We have done well against them all season. I reckon we would be well beatin if we went to the Brandywell again. The issue for me is could we beat one of the premier division teams. Galway are such a mixed bag but I wouldn't be confident over two legs against them. I think if we were to play Bray it would be a tight match. Both teams have come on a lot since the Leinster Senior Cup final.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Sean Conner had a moan on mns tonight about the play off system and Galway being 11 points clear of us. He knew the set up at the start of the season - the rules didnt change - he should have been more concerned about his points differernce with UCD to make sure that Galway were safe. He also seemed to have a few smart words for Fenlon as they shook hands at the end of the match. And what about his celebration of the 3rd Galway goal - he danced like he won the league in what was a meaningless match for Galway!!??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Hopefully this season everything will go smoothly and based on results on the field of play.
    Feck that, lots of complications and off field demotions please. Pretty please.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    Sean Conner had a moan on mns tonight about the play off system and Galway being 11 points clear of us. He knew the set up at the start of the season - the rules didnt change - he should have been more concerned about his points differernce with UCD to make sure that Galway were safe. He also seemed to have a few smart words for Fenlon as they shook hands at the end of the match. And what about his celebration of the 3rd Galway goal - he danced like he won the league in what was a meaningless match for Galway!!??
    Rubbish. First on, he didn't have harsh words with Fenlon, Fenlon spoke first, and it was along the lines of 'I'm sick of you lot' with both managers smiling so that suggestion of yours is utter rubbish.
    As for his celebrations, you are absolutely right, how dare the man celebrate a first win in 9 games, without four of his first team regulars, to build a bit of confidence heading into a play-off game which, if his side lose, could realistically spell the end of the club, and to top it all the win came against a side he left in acrimonious circumstances and whose fans sang that pleasant little ditty during the game about him having a preference for minors. You're right, he should merely have smiled briefly and left it at that.

25. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast