Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Anthony Buttimer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Cork must go into this game with good confidence after two wins against Dundalk this year. I think comments that Dundalk are rattled are way off the mark though.

We've been winning games but haven't really "clicked" yet. There are a few reasons for this. We are set up differently this year and are trying to integrate new players but this has been frustrated through injuries.

There seems to be a view in Dundalk that
    a physical approach to the game would intimidate Cork. They need to be careful that this doesn't result in getting a player sent off.

I also wonder how the weather will impact on the game. It is likely to be very warm and players will need to be clever to conserve energy for the full 90 minutes.
    That worked out well for ye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

The stage was set.
    Grand weather.
    Fantastic surface. Beautiful night for football.
    Pity Dundalk weren't interested in playing football.
    True they improved when City got bored after missing the penalty.

As I said in an earlier post "Rattled"

Good strong performance from the referee. Just what Dundalk were looking for

Time to update that Dundalk stat I suppose.

Three games against Cork this season.
    No wins, No draws, Three loses.
    0 goals for, 4 goals against.

Ye're good lads but ye're just not ready for us yet

Now that the fun part is over & jokes aside.
    I thought Dundalk did very well for the latter part of the 2nd half.
    Even with 10 men they pushed forward in an attempt to get something out of the game.

But what was that 1st half about ?
    Trying to kick everything that moved. Pulling down & blocking players off the ball. It ended with Shields trying to break Beattie's leg by going over the ball.
    Boyle tried the same tactic on Bennett in the Presidents Cup final. Didn't work then either.
    I presume Kenny thought he could intimidate City by getting stuck in or maybe he thought that this would be Corks tactics ?
    Cork were the ones who played the football in the 1st half & the earlier part of the 2nd half until that missed penalty.

Credit to Dundalk for coming back with 10 men in the latter part of the game but City are very strong down the middle with Browne & Bennett at center back & Bolger in front of them. Totally different team to that in the Cup Final last season.
    Makes you think what might have happened had Dundalk decided to play football earlier ?

Fantastic crowd at the game as well 5,453.

Long long way to go yet but at least this season you have some competition.
    Hope everyone got home safely.
    Last edited by disgruntled; 04/06/2016 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Without the Lilywhite tinted specs on, claiming that Shields went over the ball trying to break Beattie's leg is well over the top! I can see why the red was given and if had been a Cork player who had been as reckless in a challenge i'd probably have called for a red. But he got the ball and it was the trailing leg that made the refs mind up. He certainly didnt go over the ball, studs up with malice trying to break a leg, whether your post was tongue in cheek or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    It was certainly reckless. I don't think there was any intent. Shields lost the ball and lost control in an attempt to regain it. He did go over the ball but turned his ankle and stabbed at the ball rather than at Beatties legs. His studs were still up however and he still connected with Beattie (who probably overreacted) but regardless of the damage, you can't make that sort of challenge and expect anything expect a red card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Without the Lilywhite tinted specs on, claiming that Shields went over the ball trying to break Beattie's leg is well over the top! I can see why the red was given and if had been a Cork player who had been as reckless in a challenge i'd probably have called for a red. But he got the ball and it was the trailing leg that made the refs mind up. He certainly didnt go over the ball, studs up with malice trying to break a leg, whether your post was tongue in cheek or not.
    It wouldn't have made any difference who made the tackle it was still a red all day long. If it was a Cork player it would still be red.
    It was two footed, off the ground & out of control.
    Its the sort of tackle we all hate to see in a game no matter where our loyalties lie.
    There was a little push & shove between Beattie & some Dundalk players after the game as well as a polite conversation between Caulfield & a Dundalk staff member. Couldn't make out who it was but Caulfield was not a happy bunny.
    The handshake between Kenny & Caulfield was the weakest I have ever seen

I'm still wondering why Dundalk decided to play like they did in the 1st half ?
    Was is a Vinny Perth tactic to soften them up or what ?
    There's a feeling in Cork that Kenny & Co have become rattled & that Cork are in their heads now.

I think the sending off was a wake up call for Dundalk who looked much better when they decided to cut out the rough house & play ball instead.It was a nervous ending for us but if the penalty had gone in it would have been game over.

Edit: I meant to mention the referee as well.
    We often criticize them on here because some of them are pretty inept but I thought Rodgers had a decent game on Friday night.
    He got the major decisions right & even thought he made some strange decisions at times they were only minor one's.
    Well done referee.
    If it had been Buttimer or Sutton God knows what might have happened
    Last edited by disgruntled; 06/06/2016 at 10:07 AM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    I think it was Vinny Perth and John Caulfield.. Vinny has form for this sort of stuff!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I think it was Vinny Perth and John Caulfield.. Vinny has form for this sort of stuff!
    I don't think they send each other birthday cards

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It was an awful tackle from Shields. He didn't do any damage but it was a ridiculous tackle to make. That's twice he's got himself sent off this season, in two of the four games we've failed to win so far.

10. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789