Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1422

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Gibson or Fahey?

I'm glad Meyler was mentioned in another thread. Wilson is another who could play deep midfield.

I would be tempted to play O'Shea in midfield again.
    Possibly Fahey, maybe even McCarthy.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    McGrath: We need to add steel to midfield

This is the kind of clarity and insight that strikes when one takes to singing on Curracloe beach. Let's get Trap down there pronto.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Never mind Whelan, Gibson, O'Shea, Wilson, Andrews et al.

For all their other flaws, would give half my left little toe for a sane and committed Stephen Ireland or a fit Andy Reid...
    Watching us these days is like watching paint dry. Regardless of some impressive results. Or not conceding etc.

Ultimately this will prove our undoing as GT has NO credible 'Plan B'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Sane and committed or not, Stephen Ireland hasn't played a decent game of football in almost 18 months. Andy Reid's downturn of form ain't promising ethther. Plus neither would work in the current system. Which is why I certainly agree with you on a plan B - we have the players not to be constantly heart-in-mouth when playing a half decent team.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Never mind Whelan, Gibson, O'Shea, Wilson, Andrews et al.

For all their other flaws, would give half my left little toe for a sane and committed Stephen Ireland or a fit Andy Reid...
    Watching us these days is like watching paint dry. Regardless of some impressive results. Or not conceding etc.

Ultimately this will prove our undoing as GT has NO credible 'Plan B'.
    But those two things simply dont exist anymore, some would say they never existed... Andy Reid doesnt have the stamina for top level football, and he hasnt really had it for a good 2-3 years. Stephen Ireland doesnt have a degree of sanity in his body and his ability is on the slide too. You may as well say we would like a midfield of Sheridan and Townsend from the 1990s vintage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    McGrath: We need to add steel to midfield

This is the kind of clarity and insight that strikes when one takes to singing on Curracloe beach. Let's get Trap down there pronto.
    Oh yes I can see it now "Just one cornetto..." - bought of course from Colm Meany's van with the glories of Italia 90 as a wistful subplot. It all fits.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Sane and committed or not, Stephen Ireland hasn't played a decent game of football in almost 18 months. Andy Reid's downturn of form ain't promising ethther. Plus neither would work in the current system. Which is why I certainly agree with you on a plan B - we have the players not to be constantly heart-in-mouth when playing a half decent team.
    Thing is, I think thats too simplistic a view of things. I'm not saying either player would have blossomed or flourished under traps guidance, but you can't say they wouldn't have either. Looking at the current team, playing first team for your club does not mean you won't perform for Ireland. Ill bring you back to your argument witih IFK101 about Sledger.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...p-2871840.html

Hard to argue with some of the points made by lawton, but he takes the obvious easy approach - SI and Andy reid.

But it did get me thinking, how would he have handled Roy Keane, a man he could obviously not have treated like Andy Reid?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    In fairness, ones's a decent bloke with a cr*p diet and the other's an egotistical assh*le...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

Hard to argue with some of the points made by lawton, but he takes the obvious easy approach - SI and Andy reid.

But it did get me thinking, how would he have handled Roy Keane, a man he could obviously not have treated like Andy Reid?
    am shocked such a realistic article appeared in the independent. reality at last

roy wouldve been glad to be part of traps squad i would imagine given he is getting the most out of the team and performing to our limits, all Keane ever wanted.

the current Irish team wouldnt ship half the criticism it does with keane in the team as he would sort out our main problem straight away, ctre mid
    Last edited by jbyrne; 09/09/2011 at 1:48 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    6 or 7 out of 10 for a player who was not really good, who rarely imposed himself and one of the weakest links in the team??
    I'd say you were a tad generous with your rating.
    Generous to a fault.

I take the Kennedy view of a 6 or 7 out of 10.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts

Thumbs up

Thing is, I think thats too simplistic a view of things. I'm not saying either player would have blossomed or flourished under traps guidance, but you can't say they wouldn't have either. Looking at the current team, playing first team for your club does not mean you won't perform for Ireland. Ill bring you back to your argument witih IFK101 about Sledger.
    That's too speculative for me. You're right, club form isn't the ultimate guide, but I think cases like Sledge are the exception and not the rule. There will always be a case to be made on drafting them in based on their natural ability but their form has been iffy for so long I think it damages their claim.

I'd be happy to see either of them back (well maybe not happy re Ireland) but they both have to make any kind of case for inclusion first...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I heard an interesting comment on the radio the other night from a journalist who reports on Eastern European football. I didn't catch his name and I caught only the end of the interview but his view on Armenia's victory against Slovakia was that Armenia's young team are quick up front and were able to get behind the Slovak defence.

The reason I thought it was an interesting comment is that after only 6 or 7 minutes of our game against Slovakia it was apparent to me that we were in for a long night given Slovakia had set themselves up beautifully with the two holding midfielders sitting just in front of their back four thereby affording our forwards no space at all. I didn't see the Slovakia v Armenia game but I presume the Slovaks didn't play the same formation and instead pushed the back four farther up the pitch thereby leaving space behind.

As the words were coming out of the journalist's mouth about Armenia getting behind the Slovak defence I had a little chuckle inside, anticipating the journalist's next statement as to the likelihood of Trap setting us up with the back four closer to the half-way line. He didn't disappoint!

I am concerned that the Armenians are in-form and appear to have the spirit and togetherness to match our own, and if I was Armenian I would burst at the excitement of being on the cusp of emerging from relative international soccer obscurity to possible tournament qualification. Our game with them is now immense. I'm just glad it isn't a dead rubber, which was always a possibility when the draw was made. Remember the last game of the previous tournament, Montenegro?

And do you remember years ago when yer mammy said a snooker cue was too big a present for yer birthday, it had to be a joint birthday and Christmas present?

Well, I couldn't wish for a better joint birthday, Christmas, Easter and Ramadan present than Ireland entering the Armenia game with a great chance of emerging from the group, could you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy the Dog View Post

I am concerned that the Armenians are in-form and appear to have the spirit and togetherness to match our own, and if I was Armenian I would burst at the excitement of being on the cusp of emerging from relative international soccer obscurity to possible tournament qualification. Our game with them is now immense. I'm just glad it isn't a dead rubber, which was always a possibility when the draw was made. Remember the last game of the previous tournament, Montenegro?

And do you remember years ago when yer mammy said a snooker cue was too big a present for yer birthday, it had to be a joint birthday and Christmas present?

Well, I couldn't wish for a better joint birthday, Christmas, Easter and Ramadan present than Ireland entering the Armenia game with a great chance of emerging from the group, could you?
    One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned here is the pressure that is now on the Armenians. It is colossal. Remember that up to Tuesday, the notion that they would be qualifying was fanciful in the extreme - not impossible, but highly improbable. Now though, on the back of a fantastic victory, and what on paper seems to be a straightforward match against Macedonia, they'll head to Dublin with qualification a real possibility. For their first ever finals. That is incredible pressure to be under. It remains to be seen whether they will not buckle under it. Don't be surprised if Macedonia were to etch out a result like they did in matchday 2.

I agree about the Armenia game not being a dead rubber. The analogy of the Montenegrin game was the exact one I made with my long term Ireland partner on Tuesday. We didn't perform that day as much down to the anti-climax of the Italy game as the non-importance of our own game. That said, if we have to beat Armenia to win the group, irrespective of other results, I'm 100% confident we'll do it, regardless also whether Armenia need a result or not.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Keane would have loved playing in this team under Trap. The vintage Keane of of late 90's into 2000 and beyond would have loved a Trap as manager. No doubt about it. If we had the vintage Roy Keane now we would be major contenders to win the Euros never mind qualify. And whoever played alongside Keane whether Andrews or Whelan would look almost world class. We need to unearth a top class midfield player or better again one of the younger players such as McCarthy improve to such a standard that Trap will play them.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Keane would have been bowing at Trap's lotus feet at the beginning of every squad meet up. Trap would have been claiming that 'the players are like my children but Keane is my Spartacus'.
    And let's not forget that Trap had two of the best creative attacking midfielders of their day in his team, Brady succeeded by Platini.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Hypothetical I know but it would be interesting to see where Myler would have fitted in the scheme of things if he did not have that serious injury.

That Wilson can play as a defensive midfielder was a good mention by someone but I suppose he would have to be playing this role for Stoke for Trap to judge him in this role.

If lets say we did play 3 midfielders (Is that Traps fire and brimstone I hear stirring) which winger would have to make way !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well I wouldn't be foregoing a winger. I would be dropping Robbie back into a middle 5.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Well I wouldn't be foregoing a winger. I would be dropping Robbie back into a middle 5.
    I suppose Duffer could supply some back-up goal threat (sort of replacing what we would be losing by Robbie playing deeper) but unfortunately Aiden does not carry a lot of goal threat or any other of the wingers for that matter (maybe Treacy or is that just me !)
    It would'nt be making us that more defensive than we already are would it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Our biggest problem going forward is the lack of a link between the wingers and the front 2. There's always a huge hole between CM and CF that it would be better if we had someone in there holding the ball up. Robbie can do that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast