Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Mypost, I actually expect Russia to have more of the ball than us. That's the way we play.

I love ArdeeBhoy's open mindedness. No matter how many times it's spelt out that even with our cautious tactics we create quite a few chances he assumes we don't.

I think he's right when he says we'll make hard work of the campaign and it won't be pretty, but wildly wrong if he thinks that playing less pragmatically will make it any easier work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Maybe we'll turn on a great performance v.the might of Andorra and all will be sweetness and light.
    Even if we score 10 tonight it won't change anything in my eyes.

Like ifk101 I'm looking for a crisp high tempo performance. That's the way to beat minnows. Playing long balls and speculative passes plays into their hands.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I was pleasantly surprised by how forward minded we were against Armenia. Yes they had a good portion of the ball (UEFA doesn't give the possession stats) but they created few genuine chances:
    • Dunne's header
    • Movsistyan's bullet from outside the box where he sidestepped Green, narrowly over, (on that point, he was an ox of a dude. Seriously strong and held the ball up extremely well) - not so much a chance but would have been a wonder goal
    • The great chance in the box that Mkhitaryan miscontrolled

and that was it. So they created one real opportunity in the box. We on the other hand created 4 great chances, Robbie x2, ledger's header and the goal. We didn't pepper the goal with speculative shots, the few we did would amount to efforts in my opinion (Whelan first half i/t, McGeady and Doyle runs + shots) as the Armenian equivalents were included.

Green, Killer and perhaps McGeady aside, I thought we did quite well, given the conditions and the players situations coming into the game. We often committed the full backs forward, John O'Shea seemed to be on permanent overlap and we did have a couple of periods of excellent football. I think there might be an aloofness with the Irish media tbh. The notion that we should be hammering Armenia. I said before the game that if we scored early I thought we could do damage, and I stand by that. If Robbie had scored in the 7th minute, and I think on balance he probably shpuld have, it would have opened things up a little more and maybe given McGeady a bit more space to exploit.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    As for Spain, beating the uber non-football of the Dutch in Soccer City, was a virtual no-brainer. Though even they mainly disappointed in terms of real flair. Germany & Argentina were the best teams to watch IMO.
    I'm confused here. What do you want? Success or a pat on the back for being pleasing on the eye? If Spain disappoint you then Ireland really have their work cut out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Even if we score 10 tonight it won't change anything in my eyes.

Like ifk101 I'm looking for a crisp high tempo performance. That's the way to beat minnows. Playing long balls and speculative passes plays into their hands.
    Exactly. The funny thing is we are quite capable of playing crisp one-touch football. Lawrence is an extremely underrated player. There is an excellent axis of

----Doyle-----
    Whelan----Lawrence
    ---------O'Shea

on the right hand side and they are very adept at interchanging play between them. Doyle is the fulcrum now in my eyes. His drive, his strength and his aerial ability will be key tonight. If, and it's a big if, we could settle quickly, then we could have an interesting night tonight.
    I have to be honest, I'm disappointed Gibson isn't playing. I don't think he's as fantastic as some people make out, but the boy can pick a pass, and has an eye for goal, and he does seem to have that inner confidence that he is able for this level. Paul Green I'm just not as sure about.
    Ideally, we'd have properly blooded Cunningham, Foley and McCarthy through either handy friendlies or the B games, as I think a match like tonight would be perfect for them. Cunningham and Foley would offer something both offensively and defensively on the flanks, making life easier for McGeady and lawrence, while McCarthy similar to Gibson would be a good rover from the middle.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by how forward minded we were against Armenia. Yes they had a good portion of the ball (UEFA doesn't give the possession stats) but they created few genuine chances:
    • Dunne's header
    • Movsistyan's bullet from outside the box where he sidestepped Green, narrowly over, (on that point, he was an ox of a dude. Seriously strong and held the ball up extremely well) - not so much a chance but would have been a wonder goal
    • The great chance in the box that Mkhitaryan miscontrolled

and that was it. So they created one real opportunity in the box. We on the other hand created 4 great chances, Robbie x2, ledger's header and the goal. We didn't pepper the goal with speculative shots, the few we did would amount to efforts in my opinion (Whelan first half i/t, McGeady and Doyle runs + shots) as the Armenian equivalents were included.

Green, Killer and perhaps McGeady aside, I thought we did quite well, given the conditions and the players situations coming into the game. We often committed the full backs forward, John O'Shea seemed to be on permanent overlap and we did have a couple of periods of excellent football. I think there might be an aloofness with the Irish media tbh. The notion that we should be hammering Armenia. I said before the game that if we scored early I thought we could do damage, and I stand by that. If Robbie had scored in the 7th minute, and I think on balance he probably shpuld have, it would have opened things up a little more and maybe given McGeady a bit more space to exploit.
    At one point, well into the second half, SKY showed that we were on 57% possession vs. 43%. That's quite high.

I think they caused a few scary moments, but we created real chances (even if 2 of them were from Shay's long kicks). Watching the replays you could see Keane was clearly tripped for a penalty too. With a bit more of an edge in front of goal we could easily have replaced the Estonia 2001 performance as the benchmark of a job well done away.

Serbia, Portugal & Belgium slipped up there. World & European Champions Spain won there 2-1. Everyone should just accept the points. Of course point out the inadequacies and work on them, but don't paint a grim picture of doom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    UEFA doesn't give the possession stats
    At one point, well into the second half, SKY showed that we were on 57% possession vs. 43%. That's quite high.
    The stats are on skysports.com: http://www.skysports.com/football/ma...263110,00.html
    Code:
      Armenia   Team Statistics  Republic of Ireland
         0           Goals               1        
         0       1st Half Goals          0        
         7      Shots on Target          4        
         8      Shots off Target         5        
         8       Blocked Shots           2        
         9          Corners              6        
        16           Fouls              16        
         0          Offsides             3        
         1        Yellow Cards           1        
         0         Red Cards             0        
       71.2     Passing Success        71.8       
        17          Tackles             18        
       94.1     Tackles Success        88.9       
       48.7        Possession          51.3
       47.1    Territorial Advant      52.9
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Those stats are surprising. Did Armenia definitely have nearly twice as many shots on goal as us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Those stats are surprising. Did Armenia definitely have nearly twice as many shots on goal as us?
    They had a few long shots that Given had to stop but weren't exactly dangerous so I think the stat is a bit misleading.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Yeah they were pretty much shooting on sight.

I think there's a surprising amount of negative given how we overcome a potentially tricky opponent away from home. Unlike ArdeeBhoy, I couldn't give a fig if we are the dourest, luckiest team in the world if we get the result. There's been too many years of careless football and bad luck, with no return, for me to care. But, to be fair, we arn't THAT bad to watch. ArdeeBhoy's glass isn't so much half empty, as half smashed into tiny shards of naysayery.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    True enough, I saw that as well, possibly after the hour mark or even later.

end of game stats on skysports.com linked by Tets
    Armenia 48.7 Possession Ireland 51.3
    47.1 Territorial Advant 52.9

That just goes to demonstrate what a difference going a goal up with 10 minutes remaining, does to our overall possession stats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Slovakia go one up in Russia. Stoch, I think, with a great strike after a horror show from the Russian defence.

The Russians have been on top but both sides look like they'll concede.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Slovakia go one up in Russia. Stoch, I think, with a great strike after a horror show from the Russian defence.

The Russians have been on top but both sides look like they'll concede.
    Have you got a link for the game?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    http://entertainmenow.net/channel1.php Arabic commentary Surely more goals in this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    Have you got a link for the game?
    I wouldn't want to post it, but My P2P has all the links.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Huge result for Slovakia if they can maintain this. Long way to go though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Slovakia are a goal up in Russia. (stoch 27")

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/mat...ght/index.html
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Russia 0 - Slovakia 1 (Stoch) HT

It could be 4-2 to Russia, extremely open, fast-paced game. Both sides look great with the ball at their feet, especially Russia, but both are leaving themselves really open at the back. On this evidence we'll have our work cut out against both, but we could frustrate them and nick a goal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    1-0 at half time. Great first half. Russia playing skillful possession football. They nearly recreated that Argentina goal from the 2006 world cup. Slovakia are very direct going straight for goal when they can. I cant see this staying 1-0 for very long.

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast