Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Brady stated on RTE on Friday that at no point did Trapattoni ever tell the players to hang back and defend
    Didn't Giles retort that not being told to be offensive and go for the win, amounts to the same as being told to hang back and defend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    did they not have a slice of luck against Cyprus? and then against us.
    won 2-1 in Cyprus, only scored the winner in the 92nd minute
    were 2-0 down at home until Gilardino came on and scored a hat trick, the winner again in the 92nd minute
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Italy had the bulk of the fortune last time around in the away games, grabbing the winner in Montenegro was a bummer, that bizzarre game against Georgia, did they not have a slice of luck against Cyprus? and then against us.
    According to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI...3_UEFA_Group_8

Last minute winner against Cyprus away, last minute equaliser away to us, two own goals to beat Georgia in Tbilisi. Not to mention two late goals to win 3-2 at home to Cyprus.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Didn't Giles retort that not being told to be offensive and go for the win, amounts to the same as being told to hang back and defend?
    Trap almost certainly instructs the central midfielders to 'protect the back four' first and foremost. I think it was Paul Green who said those were his instructions upon joining the setup.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 06/09/2010 at 2:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    the full post match discussion is online here: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2...action_av.html
    Needs realplayer

Brady mentioning working in the backroom, and Trapattoni's tactics is at the 6:30 mark
    It's Bill who retorts, he interrupts Brady to say "but they did play like that [they were told to hang back] at times"
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 06/09/2010 at 4:26 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Trap almost certainly instructs the central midfielders to 'protect the back four' first and foremost. I think it was Paul Green who said those were his instructions upon joining the setup.
    I agree with all you wrote except I would not have used the word "almost".
    But it's not exactly like the 4th secret of fatima is it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    the full post match discussion is online here: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/2...action_av.html
    Needs realplayer

Brady mentioning working in the backroom, and Trapattoni's tactics is at the 6:30 mark
    It's Bill who retorts, he interrupts Brady to say "but they did play like that [they were told to hang back] at times"
    The bit I was trying to remember came after Brady explained the 'long ball to Doyle strategy' where Liam mentioned that Trap 'does not tell the players not to get forward'. Giles said as part of his reply that there is a difference between not telling to do it (i.e. not to tell the players not to get forward) and encouraging them to do it (i.e get forward).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    Hence the need for more creativity and at least an element of risk, in certain games. A win and a loss v.Bulgaria would have been better, similarly Montenegro. And possibly even Italy, though there I'd have taken two draws for the kudos at the time....
    Trap didn't get where he is, by taking risks. Having qualified for one tournament in 16 years, taking risks is not a policy that serves us very well.

The game on Friday was no classic, but the points on the board make up for it. A more carefree approach would probably have resulted in less than what we have.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    But it's not exactly like the 4th secret of fatima is it?
    Exactly.

Nor would I think the Holy Father and co. are keepers of the fact our central midfielders are fairly limited. With talk of straightjackets and the like you'd think we had some reservoir of flair and creativity that Trap was stubbornly refusing to tap. In my opinion, Paris was less about escaping the Don's shackles and more the players realising a one-off situation and the fact they were 90 minutes away from the World Cup, which caused them to excel within the system. Even so, it's not like Andrews and Whelan were channelling Giles and Brady on the night. What I wouldn't mind seeing is a little more of the assertiveness/confidence they showed on that occasion. That at least, they're capable of.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Trap didn't get where he is, by taking risks. Having qualified for one tournament in 16 years, taking risks is not a policy that serves us very well.

The game on Friday was no classic, but the points on the board make up for it. A more carefree approach would probably have resulted in less than what we have.
    Exactly. That's why we ended up in the play-offs last time.
    And the same I suspect will happen on this occasion, albeit for a far more pointless tournament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's highly probable that we'll head to Zilina with 9 points in our pocket. So the style of play works. You mightn't like it, but it works. And while it works, you can't moan about it.

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Exactly. That's why we ended up in the play-offs last time.
    And the same I suspect will happen on this occasion, albeit for a far more pointless tournament.
    The European Championships is a pointless tournament??
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Not only is the European Championship pointless but ArdeeBhoy thinks the WC is just less pointless than the Euros.

You have managed to dig a rather massive large hole for yourself Ardeebhoy in this recent discussion

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You'd think he'd have been delighted about the Catholics beating the Orangemen in the final this year. Apparently not.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except it's mainly tongue in cheek.

But yes, the Euros are largely pointless when compared to the spectacle of the World Cup.
    That said would settle for qualification, but just can't see it with the current tactics overall. We seem to be trying to be a poor man's Switzerland??
    Maybe we'll turn on a great performance v.the might of Andorra and all will be sweetness and light.

As for Spain, beating the uber non-football of the Dutch in Soccer City, was a virtual no-brainer. Though even they mainly disappointed in terms of real flair. Germany & Argentina were the best teams to watch IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    Except it's mainly tongue in cheek.

But yes, the Euros are largely pointless when compared to the spectacle of the World Cup.
    In 365 nights time, we'll be coming back from Moscow. If, as is likely, we are in a great position going into the last two games to qualify, anyone who whines that going across the border to Donetsk the following summer is "pointless" risks earache at best.

You qualify for what you can, when you can. The World Cup great spectacle as it is, isn't the same standard of football as the European Championships. The difference between the last two tournaments demonstrated that clearly.
    Last edited by mypost; 07/09/2010 at 12:07 AM.

Ten Years Not Out

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's highly probable that we'll head to Zilina with 9 points in our pocket. So the style of play works. You mightn't like it, but it works. And while it works, you can't moan about it.
    I like your confidence. But do you genuinely think we'll comfortably beat Russia at home? I'd love to see it, and I admit I didn't see Russia against Andorra - maybe they were truly diabolical - nor can I really say I'm up-to-scratch on the ability of their current side, but I can't see it being an easy game, or a "highly probably" three points, as you put it. If we come out of that tie with the three points, I have a feeling it'll be after a tenacious dog-fight and having scraped our way to victory.

Is the Slovakia game definitely in Zilina then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I admire your optimism.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible
    I like your confidence. But do you genuinely think we'll comfortably beat Russia at home? If we come out of that tie with the three points, I have a feeling it'll be after a tenacious dog-fight and having scraped our way to victory.
    We'll have the ball for 90 minutes to score one goal at home. That should be enough. Russia will come for a point, but they're not Germany, Italy, or Spain, and if we harbour serious ideas of winning the group, we really have to beat them and the Slovaks at home.

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    And there in lies the rub. Do we have the creativity to beat both our main rivals at home. Not to mention Macedonia/Armenia, for sure?
    Even if we get to 'Polkraine', such will be the 'enthusiam' myself included, that most people on here won't even contemplate going.....

Really wish the lads all the best for the qualifiers but if Trap doesn't change the overall tactics, especially given the stubborness over certain players, we're going to make really hard work of the campaign. And it won't be pretty.

Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast