Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1422

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Was thinking the same thing as Ye. But decided not to jinx is by posting it!!! Ye shower.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The full extract of that statement by the Macedonian Association sounds ominous for Mirsad.

'Following extensive discussions regarding results achieved in qualifying for the 2012 European Championship, a unanimous decision has been reached to remove Mirsad Jonuz from his position as the coach of the national team by extreme crushing,' said the federation.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It's no joke, those Macedonian nuts do need some crushing.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    This summary of the season from an Irish point of view is worth reading.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-2672139.html

FALL FROM GRACE

Liam Lawrence was a starting member of the Irish side in Armenia -- unsurprisingly given his excellent conclusion to the ill-fated attempts to make the World Cup in South Africa.

He kept his place for the visit of Russia in October, when Ireland were torn apart and he offered little defensive cover for an outnumbered central midfield.

Unofficially, Lawrence seems to have shouldered the blame. He was dropped for the trip to Slovakia and failed to impress in the end-of-season games where he looked sluggish. Indeed, he was an unused substitute in Liege, with Coleman given a 90-minute run-out.
    Interesting comment on the Russia game. Whelan and to a lesser degree Green were rightly criticised on this forum for the Russia debacle. From memory, I don't recall Lawrence getting much in terms of 'blame', though I havent gone back over the threads to recap.

I've have generally been impressed with Lawrences performances for us and providing 'lack of cover' hasnt been a criticism I thought you could throw at him. Would be interesting if Trap really had singled him out to shoulder the blame in this instance. I hope he has a decent season with Pompey next year and remains an option for us.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i think when he spoke out criticising the way we play might have had a bigger effect.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i think when he spoke out criticising the way we play might have had a bigger effect.
    Why do you think that Paul, do you have any evidence to support that cynicism?
    Trap delayed his team selection to see if Lawrence was fit enough to play against Slovakia.
    He wasn't used that evening, not even as a sub, because he was unfit to play. Andy K came on as a sub.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    well i don't think he played that badly against Russia compared with the other players mentioned.so i don't see how he was blamed especially after trap appeared in public at least to see if he was ready for Slovakia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I think there was a brief window when we had a lot of injuries at the end of WC qualifying that having an experienced pro like Lawrence was absolutely vital. We were in with a great chance and it wasn't the time to experiment.

But this campaign I feel McGeady has really pushed on to another level and the likes of Coleman has emerged to give competition, while we still have a very dedicated and at times underrated Stephen Hunt who gives us depth when Duff is unavailable.

Still very happy to have Lawrence around but I feel the above-mentioned players offer more overall, especially in the long-term.

Don't agree that he's ever let us down though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    i read an interview by lawrence a while ago that said he considered himself a centre mid. ive only ever seen him play right wing both for club and country, anyone think he might be an option in the centre.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Yes, I've often thought he was what it takes to play in central mid, unlike the likes of Hunt & Coleman for example. Lawrence is similar in style to Beckham. He finds space and delivers a good ball from out wide, but isn't quick for a wide player. Hunt and Coleman for example have the pace to get past the full back. Lawrence is a different type of wide player, a bit in the Ljungberg mould too.

I agree largely with if86's view of Lawrence, though I am not clear whether he is saying he has or hasn't ever let us down. I don't think he has myself.

wrt criticisms of tactics after the Russia game, I thought it was Dunne who was most vocal.

Whelan had the biggest shocker of all that day, and Green was exposed terribly as a consequence. I didn't think LL did too badly.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/06/2011 at 5:13 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Green was exposed terribly as a consequence. I didn't think LL did too badly.
    Greens Wiki page is not kind to him about that game : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gr...ller_born_1983)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    well i don't think he played that badly against Russia compared with the other players mentioned.so i don't see how he was blamed especially after trap appeared in public at least to see if he was ready for Slovakia.
    How about - he was not blamed and Trap would have selected him to play against Slovakia if he was fit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Could be but not according to the DM article in the independent.

I'd go with that he wasn't blamed too than any particular form in the Russia game, as he was ok.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Stutts, we're on the same page. Lawrence has never let the team down IMO.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Didn't Lawrence pick up an injury early in the Russia game? I think he fell awkwardly on his arm which affected his mobility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Didn't Lawrence pick up an injury early in the Russia game? I think he fell awkwardly on his arm which affected his mobility.
    Correct. I was bloody raging. Didn't stop him giving his all though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Could be but not according to the DM article in the independent.

I'd go with that he wasn't blamed too than any particular form in the Russia game, as he was ok.
    Why are you repeating the McDonnell nonsense as if it had merit?
    McDonnell wrote
    "Unofficially, Lawrence seems to have shouldered the blame. He was dropped for the trip to Slovakia"

Seeing as Lawrence was not dropped for the trip to Slovakia, then officially McDonnell is talking through his hole.
    Lawrence was subbed in the game against Russia after aggravating some injury. He was still injured for the Slovakia game.
    All known reports say Trap delayed his selection to see if Lawrence would get fit. Not only was Lawrence not dropped for the Slovakia trip, he was a serious starting consideration.
    Now Lawrence is down in the pecking order. These things happen.

All very strange from McDonnell who reported before the Slovakia game
    Lawrence faces fitness test
    'GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has decided to retain Liam Lawrence on the right side of midfield for this evening's Euro 2012 qualifier with Slovakia -- provided he passes a fitness test today.

However, Trapattoni said he would wait to see how training in the Zilina Stadium went before committing to any decision. Lawrence, who wore padding in training on Sunday, spent part of the session away from his team-mates but didn't need any protection on his thigh.
    An FAI statement last night confirmed that the Portsmouth man would start if he was given the all-clear by medics today'.
    Last edited by geysir; 22/06/2011 at 10:54 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    When did Lawrence make the comments though before or after that piece by DM for the slovakia game.

Perhaps he reported wrongly before the Slovakia game. We all know people have mis-interpreted Traps comments in the past. Or he didn't and Lawrence then came out with those comments.

I'm not giving merit to any, btw, but you cant reject out of hand one article and then for your own benefit use the other article by the same Journalist. If anything I would say that it was his comments after the Russia game, as tardelli at the time disagreed. Or perhaps its just the other options proved better when they got their chance, but he didn't get any game time in the last few games.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I did try to reason with you Paul and save you from the madness within, but the attacks of senseless rubbish, occurring with disturbing frequency, are just overwhelming.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    thanks for replying all the same.

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast