Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Good result tonight. Performance still leaves a lot to be desired though. The away leg is going to be a much trickier affair and in 100 degrees heat aswell, we really need to up the performance from tonight. Organised and disciplined as you would usually expect with Trap but the fact remains that in his 3 years in charge we have only won one qualifer by more than one goal ... and that was against Andorra ... by two. There seemed to be no urgency about us in the second half and no desire to put Macedonia away and this could have cost us greatly in the end.

For all the endevour and hard work in the middle of the park, had it not been for two goalkeeping errors tonight we wouldn't have scored. Would love to see McCarthy be given a chance next time out. Whelan and Gibson as a duo are offering nothing going forward ... but hey its the system ... we cant change the system ... the system is never wrong ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Also I would just like to reiterate the fact that I believe Armenia are contenders on this group.

Only thing is they have played Russia, Slovakia and Ireland all at home. Will be interesting to see will they be as competitive on the road.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    An excellent 3 points from us last night! Forget about how we got it. It won't matter when we are in Poland/Ukraine. To coin a phrase from our Northern amigos - We are not Brazil!

Yesterdays matches showed there are no easy pushovers in this group. We are up against 4 very capable, evenly matched teams on their day! I'm worried about Macedonia away. At times they passed around us in midfield and in the heat of June this will be a problem.

We do however have a crucial advantage, we play the two in-form teams, Armenia and Slovakia AT HOME. 6 points here and I genuinely believe we will qualify

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    We've definitely given ourselves a chance at this stage.

Who'd settle for a point in Macedonia right now? I'm not sure. If 1.5 or 2 were on offer I would!

I think we should dig out a sheer bloody-minded, professional ugly win, like all those Baltic trips during Jack's era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree willum , good win and at times we played well, but still no midfield, did you notice duff coming into the center a few times to take resposibility and the fact is i wouldnt have whelan in the squad let alone first team , when you see him up close he looks confused as to how he got there , like dougle off father ted looking around thinking "How did i get here in the middle of all these professional footballers?". Gibson was awful aswell, saw him at old trafford last year and he was embarassing , never touched the ball against a second string wolves team (remember the one where mccarthy got fined), scholes was doin all the work so he got subbed. I might have Gibson on the bench based solely on the fact fergie hasnt dumped him yet (he must see something?). So where does that leave us.
    Andrews - better than the other two defensively but still cant pass
    Lawrence - never happen , trap doesnt like him and sees him solely as a winger/whinger
    Reid, stevie - I bloody wish
    Reid andy - love him but trap doesnt
    Mccarthy james - trap wont please us to play him
    Fahey keith - pretty much same as mccarthy
    Irelan - sorry lets leave that one
    carsley lee- f it , if you want a defensive midfielder trap u could at least consider the best one we've got , on crutches hed be better than whelan
    Now i could list another maybe 8 players playing first team football in the championship in midfield , but thats not the same standard as sitting on the bench not being named in the subs for stoke (no disrespect to stoke intended im sure their bench is of a very nice standard)
    Ha ha just had a great idea he could ask pennant and nolan ..........oh god we're doomed

good win though
    Last edited by Freoch; 27/03/2011 at 11:42 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Hmm, not sure about some of that - but Steven Reid would be great to have back. That'd improve CM no end.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What's the story with stevie reid? Didn't he score the other day for West Brom? Surely he should be included in the squad in June!

Although even if he was included, Trap will not play him without a few friendlies under his belt. I expect it will be Whelan / Gibson again.

I honestly don't mind this pairing if we have o'shea and st ledger back to tighten things up. They may not get alot of praise but look the results are good so far and whats to say throwing mc carthy in would help.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Steven Reid has retired from international football but has said "maybe in an emergency" or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Macedonia away is definitely an emergency. S Reid and McCarthy in midfield would be a lovely combination.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    As good as Russia can be, I wouldn't be suprised if they drop points at home to either Armenia or Macedonia. They haven't reached the consistency of Germany, Spain, Holland or Italy at clinically going through qualification.

If we win against Macedonia, then I think we'll make the playoffs at least. I fancy us to grind out a result in Russia, as I think Trap's tactics will frustrate the hell out of them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    We are coming up on the inside rail and that is the team that often tops the group. Russia have not scored a goal in their last three matches. And Slovakia looked poor in yesterdays game against Andorra (watched about 50mins). The last time we played Macedonia away we actually cruised for most of the game. Idiocy at the end cost us. Its not all that hostile a palce and they are now out. They probably will have a new manager. Pandev might not show up. Possibly the best time to be playing them.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was havin abit of a rant there earlier out of frustration at us constantly giving the ball away.
    Realistically , the solution would be Mccarthy and maybe Andrews as the more defensive midfielder , that way you've one player that can pass in the center and my pick of the other players trap seems to like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Freoch you are dangerously inflating your one comment per year limit!
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    We are coming up on the inside rail and that is the team that often tops the group. Russia have not scored a goal in their last three matches. And Slovakia looked poor in yesterdays game against Andorra (watched about 50mins). The last time we played Macedonia away we actually cruised for most of the game. Idiocy at the end cost us. Its not all that hostile a palce and they are now out. They probably will have a new manager. Pandev might not show up. Possibly the best time to be playing them.
    I think we should be going there looking for the win. I thought we were very good in the first half last night,very composed and comfortable. In fairness to Macedonia they scored a good goal just before time which switched momentum and gave them hope. We were quite lethargic in the second half until the last ten mins or so when we actually kept the ball.

We seem to play better away from home these days and seeing as we got the win in Armenia I think we should be looking for the win away to Macedonia too. The heat in Macedonia at that time of year could be a factor but hopefully it will be an evening kick off. Dunne out is a loss so we would need JOSH and Sledger fit. Hopefully we will use the game on Tuesday and the nations cup games in May to sort out a more effective centre mid. McCarthy and Fahey would look to be an attractive alternative.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A draw in Macedonia and Russia, coupled with 3 wins against Armenia, Slovakia and Andorra might even be good enough for top!! Slovakia would be out of the equation losing to us so it all depends on how Russia get on. Armenia seemed to raise their game against them, something i doubt they will do in Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ha ha you f~~k~r crosby
    George Burley for Ireland,
    Stevie we love you more and more as a player every time we see John O Shea at left back(or right), but leave the managin to the managers

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ah now, Crosby is such an attractive catch that holidaying fat english ladies in their last flush of heat, think he will offer them a céad míle fáilte,

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I like Willum101. A card-carrying member of the Positive Club.

Hopefully he & Freoch can add to their meagre post totals.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    You wouldn't put too much money on Russia beating Armenia the same day we play Macedonia. Armenia should have beaten Macedonia away. They look to me like a team that is losing its fear of so called bigger nations.

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast