Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Time will tell I suppose. Maybe it's just me being out of touch with the English leagues, or maybe it's the Trap style of play at the moment, but the players coming through always seem to have lots of potential but seem very very average when they're on the pitch. A fair few of those you mention are 2g or 3g as well; nothing wrong with that obviously, but it does mean we're relying on another country to produce our international players, which isn't healthy.

(Coleman and Long are LoI by the way; though Long is maybe a bit generous as he only played once for Cork per wiki).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I'd like to see groups of players coming through the ranks from the U21 team rather than the odd individual.

Maybe I'm totally in denial but I genuinely think we have better players than our results suggest.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Pineapple Stu is bang on the money with his initial post. I have been banging on about the same thing since Kerrs departure. Until we stop relying on England to provide and/or develop our players we are doomed to this perpetual uncertainty. Notwithstanding the fact that i also dont believe that our management teams are getting the best out of our players and havent done since McCarthy's era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Pineapple Stu is bang on the money with his initial post.
    that part didnt hurt half as much as i thought it would.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Pineapple Stu is bang on the money with his initial post. I have been banging on about the same thing since Kerrs departure. Until we stop relying on England to provide and/or develop our players we are doomed to this perpetual uncertainty. Notwithstanding the fact that i also dont believe that our management teams are getting the best out of our players and havent done since McCarthy's era.
    My God, praise for McCarthy! Agree totally. People have no idea how rewarding the McCarthy era was for a fan like me, despite the play-off defeats and bizarre selections. I laughed when I saw Harte playing CB for Reading - 14 years after Mick played him there for us!

Threads like "David McAllister" warm my heart though.

I've asked the question easily 10 times in the past and never once got an answer, but does anyone know if the FAI's Technical Development Plan implemented at least 6 years ago meets best practice in other (good) countries or is it just another booklet with the usual B/S?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Hand on heart do any of you think we can qualify for Euro 2012?

I'm usually an optimist but this time around I don't think we'll make it.
    If we do it'l be via a playoff after outpacing Slovakia to second place, including doing them in Dublin. Armenia and Macedonia could torpedo either of us in that race (or again, in the case of Slovakia). I'd take some optimism from our performance over there. In retrospect, it would have been better for us had the scores been reversed between the Russians and Slovaks in Moscow. Combined with the defeat in Armenia, they'd be in terrible trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The Russia game will hopefully be proven to be an anomaly.
    A duplicate anomaly in the return fixture wouldn't surprise me at all tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs, because we are at a similar level to Slovakia. I don't think we're anywhere near as good as Russia. We have too many weaknesses. We have a top class striker who isn't getting any games at his club, and we have a highly rated striker who doesn't score goals, certainly not enough goals anyway. There'll be a lot of points dropped in the group. The biggest problem we have is our home form, which is pretty brutal. You're always going to struggle to qualify if you don't pick up close to the maximum at home.
    I'd agree with all of that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I've asked the question easily 10 times in the past and never once got an answer, but does anyone know if the FAI's Technical Development Plan implemented at least 6 years ago meets best practice in other (good) countries or is it just another booklet with the usual B/S?
    If Iceland qualifies as a good country, the FAI doesn't meet best practice as compared to how the FA implemented development in Iceland. The FAI are late starters.
    In Iceland there was a sea change in coaching methods of young players about 10 years ago. Iceland is football mad, most everybody follows the EPL and has a favourite team, but club structure and base is much stronger than in Ireland. The contrast with the past, in the coaching methods at clubs' summer training camps, is jaw dropping. Young players now are much more technically proficient. The FA heavily funds (male/female proportional equality) youth development.
    Statistics; from a population of 330k, there are about 20k registered players (14k male 6k female). Male u17& u21s have reached the Euro finals,
    women u19s and senior women reached the Euro finals.
    Even if the national senior team tend to get beaten more often than not, I have rarely been less than impressed by the way they play. The u21s are just sensational. When they were drawn against Scotland in the Euro u21play offs, the Scot's initial euphoria was gradually eroded by the news filtering in that the Icelanders were feeling very relieved to have gotten Scotland.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Time will tell I suppose. Maybe it's just me being out of touch with the English leagues, or maybe it's the Trap style of play at the moment, but the players coming through always seem to have lots of potential but seem very very average when they're on the pitch. A fair few of those you mention are 2g or 3g as well; nothing wrong with that obviously, but it does mean we're relying on another country to produce our international players, which isn't healthy.
    Fair nuff, maybe I'm just an optimist though I agree on relying on other countries to develop players.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    (Coleman and Long are LoI by the way; though Long is maybe a bit generous as he only played once for Cork per wiki).
    I know. Just meant a lot of potential players arn't LOI related.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Do I think we will win the group??? After losing to Russia at home im afraid not. I still think we will get second though, after that its the usual play off lottery where we more than likely wont be seeded. So who knows??!?

However, I do think by the end of the campaign we will have a stronger team overall. Yes we will potentially be losing strong players like Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane, however up and coming to replace them we have Westwood, Stledger, Clark, Duffy, Wilson, Coleman, Clifford Lawrence, Hunt, Long etc. Also i think we will have a stronger centre midfield with the continued progression of McCarthy, Clifford and Meyler. In other words, whether we will qualify for Euro 2012 im not certain but i think we will have a strong team heading in the campaign for WC 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Dunne will play in the next campaign, no?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Dunne will play in the next campaign, no?
    I wouldn't bank on any of the thirtysomethings to play in the next campaign. Bear in mind it won't start until Sept 2012, so thats' nearly two years down the road.
    I'm not bringing anyone's commitment into question btw, I'm just trying to be realistic.

Richie Dunne will be 33; Killer will be 35; Duffer will be 33. It's a delicate situation, considering that they will all surely be past it at the end of a successful qualifying campaign, would a new manager be thinking that way?
    Emmet Malone wrote, surprising, how Dunne struggled to complete a pre-season and has struggled for fitness, and mentioned that this has been a more than occasional occurance.

Given will be older still, but I'd imagine he'll continue to travel over even if he's in a box.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Do I think we will win the group??? After losing to Russia at home im afraid not. I still think we will get second though, after that its the usual play off lottery where we more than likely wont be seeded. So who knows??!?

However, I do think by the end of the campaign we will have a stronger team overall. Yes we will potentially be losing strong players like Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane, however up and coming to replace them we have Westwood, Stledger, Clark, Duffy, Wilson, Coleman, Clifford Lawrence, Hunt, Long etc. Also i think we will have a stronger centre midfield with the continued progression of McCarthy, Clifford and Meyler. In other words, whether we will qualify for Euro 2012 im not certain but i think we will have a strong team heading in the campaign for WC 2014.
    I would agree completely elroy. Obviously with regards to the midfield trio, we're hoping they'll continue to progress, and we've been poxed by that before (Sadlier, Partridge, Hoolahan, etc.), but while we might have less renowned players in the starting xi, we probably will have a stronger squad overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I know you are not questioning the commitment Kingdom, I just still think Dunne has one more Cup run in him. But obviously fitness is always an issue as people age.
    I can't believe Duff is only 31. Honestly it seems like he was on Chelsea 15 years ago.

Don't mean to get off topic, but to expand on what Kingdom said, I tried to bring this up a few days after the France game and most people would have none of it, many thinking the lineup would stay the exact same forever, with the polite exception of KK retiring (to be assistant manager).
    NOW that we have some seemingly "getting closer" to "ready" young players, who at least have done nothing to get everyone down on them, that all of a sudden people want in the lineup (including me), I am just interested in thinking who of them will actually be picked in two years and who will remain from this current team....
    As said from your above Elroy; if we include Dunne and add Garvan, and JOSH, and for ****s and giggles McG, that is 15 right there, not including keeper...
    2012 will be interesting. If the young players can (somehow) stay healthy and (somehow) progress, the new manager will have some (hopefully) viable choices. I understand of course at least one of McCarthy, Meyler, Cliffy, Clark, etc will not work out and will just turn out to have been hype but still.

At this point, maybe just maybe we can have a young athletic team balanced out by the likes of JOSH and such, and make a run in Brasil amongst the best female asses in the world according to Maxim magazine, the magazine of frat boys everywhere. (The Irish woman came in at 42. Sorry to any of you ladies who have been going to the gym.) (I know Dr Peepee and ALfred Honn, just to name a few, will take issue with that ranking.)
    Again, not to give up on the topic at hand, but if the Euro ship sinks maybe there will be something to look forward to.
    Maybe a young manager will suit the team in 2012.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    but while we might have less renowned players in the starting xi, we probably will have a stronger squad overall.
    I think this is how it will pan out, and it will be interesting times, we have always had a top player or two in my time watching Ireland, Brady, McGrath, Keane, then the Duff/Keane duo for a bit, inspirational figures who could play in most sides, with the team around them being of lesser stature and the squad beyond that not being of international standard at all in some cases.

In a couple of seasons, we are looking at a strong squad with 2 credible options for most positions, if they all stay healthy and continue their career progress, but maybe not that world class presence in the side as we have previously had.

What would be ideal would be Clifford to shape up so well, Chelsea replace Lampard with him and a 20 goals a season top level striker emerges from somewhere, but I dont see him on the horizon at present, with Villa bulding their defence around young Clark as the top clubs line up huge bids.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 23/11/2010 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'd like to see more and more of our players gain experience in continental europe. Both for the experience of playing football, and lifestyle.
    I'm getting more and more alarmed at the reporting of Paul Rowan in the Sunday Times alluding to the drinking of the players and pushing the manager further and further.
    Wildly off topic, sorry.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    We may speculate on here about the best way forward for Irish international football, but this article is sobering in its sheer honesty. Just making a living and not being on the dole is the goal for many League of Ireland players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-2433116.html

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Took a look at the list on the LOI forum the other day. Makes for tough reading, you would mould some pretty decent teams with the players available.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm getting more and more alarmed at the reporting of Paul Rowan in the Sunday Times alluding to the drinking of the players and pushing the manager further and further.
    What has Rowan been saying recently?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What has Rowan been saying recently?
    I'm almost sure I've recycled the past few weeks papers, but he has been openly mentioning the drinking of the players, and in last Sunday's column mentioned a few things.
    1) Trap was asked could the players have wine with the team meal - Trap would allow this but none of the players want to, they want beer. He would prefer this choice, mentioned that in Italy, the team camps are straightjacket like.
    2) The player asked to be let drink between the Russian and Slovakia games which he allowed. He was asked was it a second night, he refutes this. He didn't refute whether he was asked. This was backed up by a quote which is backed up by an anecdote "The players say they want to have a drink, we say fine ok, a few hours. We say ok, finish, the players say 20 mins, we say ok, the players say another 20mins, we say no. This is the way..." or something very close to that.
    Rowan spelled out that the players went drinking between two qualifiers.

He doesn't quite descend to red-top-isms but it's getting closer to it. He comes out with some really curious predictions. After the Russia game he put a diagram of his team to face Slovakia, and it included dropping Ledger (something I could comprehend) but involved selecting Wilson at centre half rather than O'Shea.

The TImes is a subscription paper on-line, so the columns are there, if you pay

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    According to http://journalisted.com/ Paul Rowan has written...
    More about 'trapattoni' than anything else
    A lot about 'keane' in the last month.

I haven't read his articles recently (since you had to pay to read them), but isn't he the toe rag who went out of his way to mix complimentary quotes with his own sarcasm in order to diss Robbie Keane on the occasion when he reached his 100 caps.

Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast