Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Byrne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jason Byrne

I know I'm biased, but imo, Kerr can't ignore Jason Byrne for much longer. He is absolutley flying at the moment, another class finish the other night and he was brilliant all night. Given some of the strikers we're looking at, imo Byrne is no worse or better than any of the fringe players who are being given chances and have been capped in the past. His style of play is also absolutley ideal for partnering Robbie Keane, which is a massive plus as when it comes to our strikers it is simply a case of Robbie Keane + 1, also being his cousin they'll have a good understanding. I've heard Kerr is thinking about putting him into the squad for the Poland match and I think he definitely should, and give him a proper run, not the usual token eircom league gesture. I'd imagine this match will be one that there will be a fair few drop outs from, like the Greece match Crowe debuted in, so we probably wont even see the likes of Robbie Keane playing, all the more reason to give him his chance.

We're not exactly blessed with options up front, and he's definitely worth a try in the friendlys at least. I'm not asking for him to be thrown into the deep end in some world cup qualifyer, but a good chance to show what he can do in a friendly is fully deserved.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Get himself into decent league first then write your article. We get this time and time again on these forums, the Eircom league is hardly the place to vet or assess an International player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme rebel
    Crowe had to do the business for 3 years before he got called up. JOF has done the same if not better than Byrne in recent seasons so I would rate his ahead of Byrne also. I think Byrne is massively over-rated!
    Byrne got the golden boot last season and is the clear leader this season, and favourite to do it again, and you think he's over rated and inferior to O'Flynn who's in the same league and already about four behind him is better? Right...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well, i hope he does get picked. O'Flynn deserves a chance as well i think. If more players besides crowe get selected it does refelect welll on the entire league.

Peterf
    Get himself into decent league first then write your article. We get this time and time again on these forums, the Eircom league is hardly the place to vet or assess an International player
    Daft - When a country like Latvia qualifies with many players from Metalurgs Liepaja there is no logical reason why some LOI players cant get picked.

Not all international class players play in Spain or Italy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great point Eoinh, also, as a striker Byrne plays in our weakest position, so the more options we have there the better. Christ we were seriously debating capping a third division striker this season!

Byrne finished with nearly double O'Flynns talley Xtreme Rebel, O'Flynn had 14 Byrne had 22 I think. It's all ifs and buts, there's no gaurentee O'Flynn would have outscored him. This season he's played in three and a half matches, you say, and got two goals, Byrne had four by the time he'd played the same amount of matches. I wont split hairs, as I think O'Flynn is quality aswell and as you say his U21 form has been superb, he's also worth a chance but he'll have to start scoring regularly again and go on an injury free run beforehe gets it. Byrne's also been 'doing the business' for years. 14 league goals for Bray in two straight seasons, one they got relegated in, is as impressive if not more so than 22 with a league winning side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petef
    Get himself into decent league first then write your article. We get this time and time again on these forums, the Eircom league is hardly the place to vet or assess an International player.
    Yeah like the SPL?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Jason Byrne for Ireland - lol

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Byrne, Crowe and O'Flynn should IMO all be tried out.

Flynn is the best of them but ou cant always expect him to be fit, his lack of fitness is the very reason why he's not banging them in for some Premiership club.

IMO there are at least 10 players in the eL who should be tried out in the summer yoke in London, if only to see that they are not good enough.

Flynn, O'Callaghan, Crowe, Hunt, Hawkins, J.Byrne, Cahill, Paisley, Fahy and T.Palmer.

Give them a chance, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Denmark won Euro 92 with a squad of players who weret playing in a 'decent' league.

In fact Petef pick an Irish team using only players from outside the Premiership, see what kind of team you'll have.
    Oh no not them again

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At the recent Youth world cup in the UAE irelands best player was Stephen Paisley. Most journalists there agrree with that.

Who does he play for? - Longford Town.

Why can players from LOI clubs excell their conterparts from English clubs in the U-21s. Yet when its time to promote some
    players to the senior side its the players who have been outshone that get promoted. Odd Huh?

Don Givens at the start was very anti LOI players yet when injury intervened and he had to use LOI players they turned out to be the star players. Givens has slowly started to change because he has seen the benefits.

Nobody here is arguing that the squad should be packed with LOI players but there are a few that are good enough to be in the squad at least. Inspect the squads of international teams from european countries and you'll see that its the norm that some of their most talented players dont move abroad for on reason or another.

Pat Byrne, Jackie Jameson, Coyle, Dave Barry, John O etcn

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    In fact Petef pick an Irish team using only players from outside the Premiership, see what kind of team you'll have.
    If I did we would certainly not be drawing with Brazil and beating the Czech Republic.

Crowe couldn't even make it at Plymouth, the only games Hawkins could get in England were with Doncaster in the Conference, yeah slot him in centre back.

If Byrnes good enough then he'll no doubt get his shot in the nationwide next season. Then have a look at him. Cant believe I'm even entertaining this argument in the first place, again its the case of the delusional Eircom League sanctimony that is abundant on these forums.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Robbie Keane didnt make it in Italy. Is he a failure?

Players dont make it at one club in the same league and go on to star at othe clubs in the same league.

Alan Maybury was picked for Ireland and he plays for Hearts. The last time a LOI club played a scottish premier club they beat them in european competition. (ANd, the LOI club played for one of the matchs with ten men for over half the match).

Again, you have to look at the whole european situation and see from which teams players are coming from.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Crowe couldn't even make it at Plymouth, the only games Hawkins could get in England were with Doncaster in the Conference, yeah slot him in centre back.
    This could have been down a number of reasons including homesickness. Failure to adapt to a foreign league does not mean that a player is necessarily cr*p.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    At the recent Youth world cup in the UAE irelands best player was Stephen Paisley. Most journalists there agrree with that.

Who does he play for? - Longford Town.
    And at the Madeira U-21 tournament the top scorer was Kevin Doyle

Who does he play for? - Cork City

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Byrne finished with nearly double O'Flynns talley Xtreme Rebel, O'Flynn had 14 Byrne had 22 I think.
    I hope some eL player gets a chance in the Irish squad soon.
    I'd have a look at those old arithmetic books though, Slash/ED....

btw, any particular reason you use Dunphy's domain name as your handle?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know Clinton Morrison is not great, but in fairness he is playing regular 1st team football in the Premiership, so I think he must partner Robbie Keane.

If Jason Byrne does manage to get into the Irish squad, I think it could be just a case of him being the token Eircom league player rather than him actually being good enough to force his way into the team, which would hardly be fair on the rest of the squad.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien

If Jason Byrne does manage to get into the Irish squad, I think it could be just a case of him being the token Eircom league player rather than him actually being good enough to force his way into the team, which would hardly be fair on the rest of the squad.
    I dont believe in tokens. It should be on merit or not at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    I hope some eL player gets a chance in the Irish squad soon.
    I'd have a look at those old arithmetic books though, Slash/ED....

btw, any particular reason you use Dunphy's domain name as your handle?
    I did say nearly

No reason at all, I can't stand the man, but I thought it was an alright name

carnstien, I'm not saying he should be included ahead of Keane or Morrison, but that he deserves a chance to stake his claim for a place in the squad as much as, or more than, some of the fringe players we've resorted to capping over the years in these friendlys. We're not blessed with strikers at the moment so the more options we have the better, if Byrne gets the chance in a friendly that, imo, he deserves and he does well than it's another option for us, even if only as a squad member.
    Last edited by Slash/ED; 18/04/2004 at 5:23 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If I did we would certainly not be drawing with Brazil and beating the Czech Republic.

If Byrnes good enough then he'll no doubt get his shot in the nationwide next season. Then have a look at him. Cant believe I'm even entertaining this argument in the first place, again its the case of the delusional Eircom League sanctimony that is abundant on these forums.
    Jon Dahl Tomasson was a complete flop at Newcastle, but he now plays for AC Milan. Rivaldo was a superstar at Barcelona, won the World Cup but was released by AC Milan. Here's a tip. Learn something about football (other than what Sky Sports tells you) then think about it, and then come back when you have enough knowledge to make a meaningful contribution to the debate

As for Byrne getting the Ireland squad. I don't know if he is good enough yet. He might be worth a shot in a friendly alright. O'Flynn is far and away the best striker in the league, but won't get a chance until he's fully fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Very true. What's the harm in looking at say Crowe, O'Flynn and Byrne in the next three friendlies? Worst case scenario is we don't do as well in some friendlies as we might. Best case is David Connolly might be excluded from the next Ireland squad. Oh, and we might find one or more fo them is good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Very true. What's the harm in looking at say Crowe, O'Flynn and Byrne in the next three friendlies? Worst case scenario is we don't do as well in some friendlies as we might. Best case is David Connolly might be excluded from the next Ireland squad. Oh, and we might find one or more fo them is good enough.
    And even if we didn't find that they were good enough, it would put this seemingly endless debate about eL players in the national squad to bed, if only for a while. Bring them in.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast