Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we have reached the semi's like Uruguay?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    But I'd be amazed if it happened.

If there was a World Cup for honourable draws, we'd win it! A respected neutral compared us with Switzerland which I thought was about right.
    :-(

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Did Shamrock Rovers do a Uruguay on Pats tonight? It's OK if Rovers do it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I'd say he was caught but that the punishment - for him individually and for his team - didn't fit the crime. Maybe it did as the rules stand, but morally it's about as extreme as it gets: certain winning goal denied by a clear & delibertate handball.

I personally think that changing the rules to allow for a "penalty goal" when a goal is clearly denied by deliberate handball would actually be easy to implement.
    What would you change the rules for? The rules were applied, the mandatory punishment was given, and will be served tomorrow.

If somebody is found guilty of murder in court, what do you do? Apply the death penalty? No, you apply the relative sentence instead.

The only time you can call such an instance "cheating", is when there is no penalty and no red card awarded as a result. Did we do a Uruguay tonight? No. Pats did a "Ghana" instead. If you can't score the resulting penalty, you only have yourself to blame.
    Last edited by mypost; 06/07/2010 at 12:59 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's hard to argue with the concept of a penalty goal - if the ball was definitely going in, then it's difficult to say one shouldn't be awarded. Still, I think goals should only be awarded when the ball crosses the line. The defender takes a calculated risk (it's probably not worth it early in a game but becomes more tempting as it comes to a close) and he will almost certainly be punished. It worked for Suarez but usually the penalty goes in and the defending team are down a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Did Shamrock Rovers do a Uruguay on Pats tonight? It's OK if Rovers do it
    They did indeed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin
    It's hard to argue with the concept of a penalty goal - if the ball was definitely going in, then it's difficult to say one shouldn't be awarded. It worked for Suarez but usually the penalty goes in and the defending team are down a man.
    Which is why the rule is fine as it is.

Ten Years Not Out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    What would you change the rules for? The rules were applied, the mandatory punishment was given, and will be served tomorrow.

If somebody is found guilty of murder in court, what do you do? Apply the death penalty? No, you apply the relative sentence instead.

The only time you can call such an instance "cheating", is when there is no penalty and no red card awarded as a result. Did we do a Uruguay tonight? No. Pats did a "Ghana" instead. If you can't score the resulting penalty, you only have yourself to blame.
    Come on, this is ludicrous. Remember when Willie Young tripped young Paul Allen in the 1980 FA Cup Final? It was the ultimate professional foul. As such occurrances were becoming more common the rules were changed. The rules change in football all the time because the game changes all the time. The rules as they stand were applied correctly, nobody doubts that, but moral justice would have been better served if - like in rugby union - the referee had discretion to award a penalty goal. The rule could be simple and unambiguous - only applying when handball prevents a certain goal. I know that rules and regulations give rise to all kinds of grey areas at the margins, but there are very few marginal instances of handball preventing a goal. Even the Harry Kewell incident vs Ghana would have been better & more fairly punished if a goal had been awarded and he had only been given a yellow card. THe punishment in my mind was too severe in that instance, but the ref had no choice but to apply it.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Shock as mypost's arguments are nonsense.

On the penalty goal thing, one problem would be deciding if the the ball was going in or not. OK, the Uruguay one was obvious, but say you get a handball in the box and the ball was maybe going to hit the post, or there was another defender on the line behind the handballer who could maybe have blocked clear. What do you do then? A rule for the obvious transgressions has to hold for the borderline calls too.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Your definition of what 'cheat' means is way off. It doesn't mean that you get away with something wrong, it just means you do something wrong.

People caught cheating in an exam are still cheating, even though they've been caught.

Suarez cheated just as much as Henry did, and whichever Rovers player was sent off on Monday night for handball.

By your definition, a player is not judged to be a cheat based on their actions in relation to the rules of the game. Rather, a player is judged a cheat or not based on if and how the referee reacts to their actions.

Surely you can see how illogical that argument is.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/07/2010 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

The only time you can call such an instance "cheating", is when there is no penalty and no red card awarded as a result
    By your definition someone convicted of murder can't be called a murderer as they've been punished for it

Every week you astound me with more and more wayward logic
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What do you do then? A rule for the obvious transgressions has to hold for the borderline calls too.
    True, but the referee also has discretion to adjudicate on what's a "clear goalscoring opportunity" or whatever the guideline is when there's a professional foul, or even whjat's a regular foul or not. The referee's job is to adjudicate all through a game.

I agree that at the margins there are greay areas which are difficult to judge. For example, what about incidents like the Barcelona handball in the last minute in the 2009 CL semi-final when Ballack's goalbound(?) shot was blocked, probably inadvertently and from at least 10 yards from goal?

One argument in favour of the "penalty goal" is that many ex-pro pundits are saying they'd have done the same thing, or that their teammates would have. I'm not sure they would though if doing so was futile.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I have a certain sympathy for Suarez in that any player's real-time instinct is to try and prevent a goal when on the line*, especially when you've just saved one already and the follow up shot has been hit straight at you at pace. It was real backs against the wall defiance. However, his "real hand of God" bragging afterwards displays a real lack of humility and I think it's pretty low.

*whereas it's typically not a player's real time instinct to prevent a ball going out of play over the goal line with one handball while teeing the ball up perfectly with another. Cue furious debate...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I'd say it's harder for him to plead instinct than Henry. And I still reckon he could have just headed it clear.

That said, it'll be very very difficult for them to win tonight without him. Not that that's much consolation for Ghana.

Fair points on the other issue though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Come on, this is ludicrous.

The rules as they stand were applied correctly, nobody doubts that, but moral justice would have been better served if - like in rugby union - the referee had discretion to award a penalty goal. The rule could be simple and unambiguous - only applying when handball prevents a certain goal. I know that rules and regulations give rise to all kinds of grey areas at the margins, but there are very few marginal instances of handball preventing a goal. Even the Harry Kewell incident vs Ghana would have been better & more fairly punished if a goal had been awarded and he had only been given a yellow card. THe punishment in my mind was too severe in that instance, but the ref had no choice but to apply it.
    We've all seen thousands of handballs preventing goals in the box, but penalties have been given, and punishments have been handed out. I don't have a problem with that.

I have a problem when handballs in the box are not seen by the officials and nothing is done about them. That is cheating.

Penalty try's I find are very very rarely given in rugby. Usually play simply continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    By your definition someone convicted of murder can't be called a murderer as they've been punished for it
    No that's your definition. I never said the above.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    Your definition of what 'cheat' means is way off. It doesn't mean that you get away with something wrong, it just means you do something wrong.

Suarez cheated just as much as Henry did.

By your definition, a player is not judged to be a cheat based on their actions in relation to the rules of the game. Rather, a player is judged a cheat or not based on if and how the referee reacts to their actions.

Surely you can see how illogical that argument is.
    It's not illogical, it's reality. You are a cheat, if you're not punished for breaking the rules. The difference between Henry and Suarez, is one was caught and punished for it, the other wasn't. I don't think I can make it any clearer.

He will serve that punishment tonight, not that it will make much difference. Holland are almost certainly in the final already.

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    You are a cheat, if you're not punished for breaking the rules. The difference between Henry and Suarez, is one was caught and punished for it, the other wasn't. I don't think I can make it any clearer.
    But my point is that you are a cheat if you do something which contraves the rules of the game, regardless of whether you are caught or not. The definition of cheating relates only to the action itself, not to punishment or lack of it. If your personal definition is dependent on a lack of punishment for violation of a rule, then your definition is wrong.

I've never heard anybody else argue that you are only a cheat if you don't get caught. It is an argument that doesn't make sense, as it means that two people committing exactly the same offence with exactly the same intentions could be labelled differently as a result of what the referee sees or doesn't see.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/07/2010 at 5:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    If cheating only relates to the action itself, then everything is cheating. Committing a routine foul is "cheating", and taking a throw in/free kick from the wrong place is "cheating".

It's not cheating, cheating is when you commit an offence and get away with it without punishment. Referees are there to make sure you don't get away with it. If the penalty wasn't given, I would agree with you. Suarez didn't get away with it. The penalty was given, he got sent off, and will miss tonight's game. Case closed.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    If cheating only relates to the action itself, then everything is cheating. Committing a routine foul is "cheating", and taking a throw in/free kick from the wrong place is "cheating".
    Correct. Committing a routine foul or taking a throw from the wrong place is cheating. Not a particularly henious example of cheating, but cheating nonetheless.

It's not cheating, cheating is when you commit an offence and get away with it without punishment.
    You are incorrect. This is not just my opinion. This is the opinion of any and all dictionaries. Check a couple of online versions. The definition is crystal clear and is not dependent on evading punishment. Suarez cheated. Henry cheated. And if he had been caught and yellow carded and Ireland went on to win the World CUp he would still have cheated.

You can certainly argue the morality of what Suarez did, but it is a fact of the English language that he cheated. If you disagree, you disagree with the very definition of the word cheat.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't have the opinion that Suarez cheated and I am surprised at some of what is expressed here.
    There is little similarity with a premeditated or concious decision to cheat, say in an exam room, and an obvious instinctive action to stop a goal in the frantic last seconds of a game.
    In fact, in the scheme of so called cheating, Suarez's action was much much less premeditated than diving to gain a free, claiming a throw in / corner when they know damn well they are trying to con the officials. He acted without thinking. He committed a foul. While he did try to con the ref on other occasions during the games, there was nothing that would come close to Ronaldo's or Robben's skilled and well practiced theatrics.
    I don't know the Suarez chap nor did I hear his press conference but I would be more inclined to regards his reported comments as cheeky exuberance. I thought the Uruguayan manager dealt firmly and sensibly with the matter at his press conference. As South American teams go, Uruguay for the most part played the game with integrity, imo, more than most of the other teams. They did not lose the heads after that very contentious all important goal by Holland or bítch and moan about it afterwards. Overall the team are a credit to their nation and an example to others.
    Last edited by geysir; 09/07/2010 at 8:36 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That's totally fair Geysir, but in this clear cut instance I think the game would be well served with a "penalty goal", but of course you can't create rules just for the clear cut cases. Whether his comments were cheeky exuberance or not, he'd have been best advised just to say nothing.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    To be 'fair', footballers, as in soccer, have always cheated. Or certainly in my lifetime.
    Myself and most peers included.

Maybe the rules are so flawed, it makes people act in such a c*ntish way? Though tend to think it's the players and just a reflection of wider Society. Or something.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Soccer is a game which allows a lot of loutish behaviour go unpunished, such as aggressive disrespect for the ref, false accusations, false implications, false claims for fouls throw ins, a lot of cynical low standard stuff which is not tolerated in any other field sport.

Suarez did not cheat in this instance, that is beyond any argument based on human behaviour on a sporting field, any argument based on the rules of the game.
    He deliberately fouled the ball, for want of a more accurate description. There is not one player on any team in the World cup faced with ball going over the line in the last second, would not have handled the ball in the same blatant way. It is not cheating. I would be extremely critical if one of our players refused to stop the ball in similar circumstances. The price to pay, is a penalty conceded and a red card. Suarez did the correct thing, not a heroic thing or anything to boast about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast