Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How awful are RTE's panellists?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    As a neutral I though Webb handled the game well. I didn't think the Dutch were as brutish as everyone's making out nor did I think the Spanish playacted any more than usual. I just thought it was a good contest that bubbled over a couple of times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    As a neutral I though Webb handled the game well... I just thought it was a good contest that bubbled over a couple of times.
    if he had made the right decisions early on it wouldn't have bubbled over. players sensed his weakness
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    As a neutral I though Webb handled the game well. I didn't think the Dutch were as brutish as everyone's making out nor did I think the Spanish playacted any more than usual. I just thought it was a good contest that bubbled over a couple of times.
    I would agree 100% with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    if he had made the right decisions early on it wouldn't have bubbled over. players sensed his weakness
    Which decisions did he get so wrong early on? He handed out 14 yellow cards, apart from the De Jong high boot which could have been a straight red I think the Dutch are looking for excuses.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Of course the Dutch are looking for excuses

De Jong and van bommel should've both been sent off within 30 minutes. Webb (as ever) was "afraid to ruin the game" by sending someone off. Even though he contributed to it by not doing his job properly.
    ---

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He booked 4 players in the first half hour...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He booked 4 players in the first half hour...
    yes, but should sent 2 of them off
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    De Jong, maybe, but there was nothing malicious in it. Van Bommel, no. He equally could have sent of Xavi and Iniesta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Perhaps. Kind of backs up my argument that he lost control of the ame though. If he sent one of the Dutch players off, I don't think we'd have seen half as much niggly fouls
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sure if he sent everyone off there'd be no fouls. I just think referees should err on the side of caution and, to be honest, Spain were just as guilty of breaking up the game by diving and going down easily. I could understand it if the Dutch fouls were destructive to Spain's free-flowing attacking game but for the most part the Spaniards were comfortable with it. I think it would be madness to be handing out cards for fouls when Spain are just passing the ball laterally around the middle of the park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Last post on this are we're miles off topic BUT

What has Spain's style of play got to do with anything (or Holland's for that matter)? if a foul merits a red card, the ref should produce one. if it merits a yellow card, he should produce one. its the world cup final and he is supposed to be at the height of his profession. he should be strong enough to handle the game and make tough decision if they're needed

IMO he wasn't

Anyway back to billo and the boys...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not their style of play, but the areas of the pitch in which they're playing. Holland's fouls didn't really disrupt many attacking moves - they were niggly but that was all they were. Heitinga's second yellow and Ramos' yellow were fully deserved because they stopped attacking moves in progress, but there weren't very many more of those incidents.

I need to stop editing this, but to relate it to RTE/BBC etc. I just disagree on a basic level with the "Holland are a bunch of destroyers" analysis that Giles and Brady in particular have been going on about since the Brazil match. The implication seems to be that had the Dutch been less willing to put the boot in that Spain would have unleashed all of their attacking potential when the evidence of the tournament as a whole is that Spain will play the same cautious, probing game regardless of the opposition.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 13/07/2010 at 5:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Nice to see RTE have let the Apres Match team run the studio for the 3rd Place Playoff again. Of course, when they allowed Dermot Morgan to do this in 1986 he annoyed Dunphy so much that he refused to appear on the panel for a couple of years afterwards. I'm sure Eamon has matured a little bit since then though..... maybe.

Am I the only person in Ireland who doesn't 'get' Apres Match? I admit the impersonations are spot on, but there's nothing funny, nothing satirical, nothing original in it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Apres Match is as tired a formula as the panel, flogging a dead horse of originality in most of the skits, so much so that they do have to do takes on adverts and British /Sky TV and recycle them every other day.
    There was an ace skit somewhere around the 3rd or 4th one and the last one raised a hearty laugh.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Am I the only person in Ireland who doesn't 'get' Apres Match? I admit the impersonations are spot on, but there's nothing funny, nothing satirical, nothing original in it.
    I went to see the show last night in the Mill Theatre in Dundrum. They do a great Martin O'Neill. Good entertainment. Not side splitting stuff but enjoyable nonetheless. Impersonators just mimic their targets and exaggerate their idiosyncrasies. There isn't supposed to be anything original in it.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    terrible. i never watch analysis anyway its just a waste of time. i know more about football than any of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Clearly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I watched the final in Ireland and thought Dunphy was OTT in his criticism of Webb, calling him a clown. I thought he could have handled things better, but was ultimtely put in an impossible situation by some of the players.

Anyway, regardless of all that, I thought Dunphy's comment, elegantly put, that football is facing a "crisis of authority" was bang on. Both on (lack of respect for referees, cheating) and off the pitch (Blatter, FIFA, technology, obstinacy regarding even considering rule reviews, poor refereeing, poor national and international regulation).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well it's as much a cup final for Dunphy as it is for anyone on the pitch. It only happens once every four years and you can be guaranteed he's going to go over the top to make sure people talk about him.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678