Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Gary Twigg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Gary Twigg

Any idea how long he's going to be out for?
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    between 3 weeks and 3 months i read elsewhere, depending on the results of a calf scan.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Six weeks.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Six weeks.
    Had heard 3 months this morning so six weeks not as bad but a massive blow all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dessie Baker also out for a bit after he broke his arm in the game Saturday night

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa B View Post
    Had heard 3 months this morning so six weeks not as bad but a massive blow all the same.
    Six weeks is best case scenario, so if there's any set backs it could end up being more. That's my understanding of it anyway. With Baker out now too they really need another striker from somewhere.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I see Gary Twigg is in the news in the north. This kind of stuff would never happen in our league.

As trouble-hit Portadown prepare to launch an appeal against Irish FA sanctions imposed on them over player payment irregularities, the Belfast Telegraph can today reveal details of the findings of a Northern Ireland Football League investigation that landed them in the dock.

Of the four players whose contracts came under scrutiny, only midfielder Tim Mouncey's name had been in the public domain after he was found by a League investigating committee to be on the club payroll while registered as an amateur in contravention of League rules.

The other three can now be revealed to be Peter McMahon and Gary Twigg as well as Darren Murray, who has since joined Cliftonville.

The cases involving Mouncey and Twigg were found to be proven; Murray unproven and McMahon's referred to the IFA's player registrations sub-committee for further investigation.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-34625989.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    All very Jeff McNamara, i'd still be annoyed if I were a Waterford fan even if it made little difference in the long run. Why register players as amateurs anyhow if paying them - avoids National Insurance payments and the like? hardly a huge saving if so.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/04/2016 at 3:31 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    All ver Jeff McNamara, i'd still be annoyed if I were a Waterford fan even if it made little difference in the long run.
    I suppose a little controversy might stir things up here - do you think the Jeff McNamara registration was dodgy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Why register players as amateurs anyhow if paying them - avoids National Insurance payments and the like? hardly a huge saving if so.
    Mainly, it gets round the salary cap. In fairness, Portadown have got off lightly.

Twigg was supposed to be off to Ballymena at the end of the season too but the move was cancelled last week. Makes sense now, I suppose.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Mainly, it gets round the salary cap. In fairness, Portadown have got off lightly.

Twigg was supposed to be off to Ballymena at the end of the season too but the move was cancelled last week. Makes sense now, I suppose.
    From what I heard, it was Twigg who pulled the plug on the move himself, but you can't be sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The big question is how are Rovers implicated? Surely they have to be relegated.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    The big question is how are Rovers implicated? Surely they have to be relegated.

And made play home games in Oriel for 2 seasons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I suppose a little controversy might stir things up here - do you think the Jeff McNamara registration was dodgy?
    No it was all perfectly done by the rule book of the time. Registered as an amatuer and definitely never paid in cash for the 2 legged relegation play-off....

Wasn't very sportsman like and as said really just delayed the eventual drop and long fall from grace. That loophole on amatuer player registrations was closed for the following season as far as I remember. It may have been a pragmatic move at the time but tbh if the shoe was on the other foot i'd have been furious so yes I suppose it was eh morally dodgy, even considering it not breaking the rules and no obvious evidence of payment to an amatuer except expenses maybe. That he won the tie for us I remember feeling a bit coy after especially I was sharing a house in London as a student and one of the lads was a Waterford United fan. Bit of GAA stroke maybe. On the other hand Soupy Campbell also scored and it would not have been nice to have been relegated as Drogheda were promoted. Shamrock Rovers were dreadful that season if I remember correctly and only just pulled away from the play-off threat late. Losing the cup replay in United Park too with Trevor Crolly getting the winner in ET after an injury time equaliser in Oriel by Drogheda, Colin Tresson?. Tbh that whole spell with Hewitt, Eddie May, playing Malmo in United Parks with the Oriel pitch unplayable etc is all a bit rolled in together for me. Little internet access those days for results and news at the time and then Orielweb was started by Daniel McDonnell which was a godsend. Lived just up the road from Griffen Park when Eddie May took over Brentford and became a regular there rather than QPR previous. Dundalk were like flipping Barcelona compared to that Brentford side and the football if that what you could call was the worst i'd seen until our 2012 season and ironically another play-off with Waterford and another appeal by them over the goal scorer that kept us up. All very off topic but sure no matter, bit of fun looking back from these days and being champions and with no constant rumours of going out of business and putting entire squads on the transfer list, league winning manager walking due to not being able to sign players, player-manager being appointed and promised anything he wanted 5 or 6 managers in as many season, co-ops, dodgy pitch stuff, crumbling ground *cough the more usual rollercoaster for the League of Ireland fan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

Actually wasn't aware that there was a salary cap in the Irish League! Makes more sense to have double contracts. Gary Twigg the pride of Tallaght and whole heap of trouble, wonder if Ken Oman was in on it too lol. He was a marquee signing for Portadown at the time and i'd say he was on a top wage at Rovers so must have cost a pretty penny for the move. Isnt his wife from that area? They were quick to sign Matthew Tipton too after his spell at Oriel. It seemed like they had cash to splash with a nice new stand behind one of the goals at Shamrock Park. They've had some decent players over the last while, Garry Breen top of the heap no doubt, with little success to show for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oman had a spell at Pats before going to Portadown. Doubt he was on big money as no one down here wanted him really

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Oman had a spell at Pats before going to Portadown. Doubt he was on big money as no one down here wanted him really
    It's a long time ago since Oman was any use as a footballer

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    yep Gary Twiggs missus is from that area. Daniel McDonnell that started Orielweb is that the same one that writes the footie for the Irish Indo?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    yep Gary Twiggs missus is from that area. Daniel McDonnell that started Orielweb is that the same one that writes the footie for the Irish Indo?
    Yep same chap!

21. Thanks From: