Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: League structures below the first team, any news?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Speaking to someone who was at the Club Convention last night, nothing happened. The meeting was a joke - everyone in the FAI clapped themselves on the back for another good job in 2009 (attendances up, debt down, standards still rising) and the clubs couldn't get a word in edgeways.

There were over 20 proposals and all were dismissed or ruled out of order by the top table.

It seems there were at least three proposals from different clubs to change to a single division and all were ruled out of order!

Roll on 2010 and let's get ready for the next scandal!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    FAI reject change to league format

By daniel mcdonnell
    Thursday December 03 2009

THE FAI has rejected proposals from League of Ireland clubs to scrap the 10-team Premier Division and either introduce one division for all sides or establish a new top flight for 16 teams.

Four motions related to the structure of the league were brought up at the clubs' annual convention at Abbotstown on Tuesday night, but the top table, which included FAI chief executive John Delaney, said that such a change could not be facilitated.

The current format of a 10-team Premier Division and 12-team First Division is deeply unpopular and the recently completed wide-ranging League of Ireland Review, seen by the Irish Independent, reveals that 72pc of managers, players and club officials believe the existing system is flawed.

In the two-hour summit in Abbotstown, Monaghan and Waterford United requested a one-league structure to be established, while Drogheda United proposed that the top 16 clubs form a new Premier Division with the rest consigned to the 'A' Championship.

However, the FAI argued that such a change was impossible at the conclusion of a season where clubs had competed in promotion and relegation battles and played for their 2010 places on football merit. If a change in structure was imminent, it would have to be outlined at the beginning of the preceding campaign.

Numerous figures in the game have spoken out against the 10-team top flight, arguing there is too much repetition while clubs in the First Division feel isolated.

In total, 22 motions were raised at the convention with other headings related to the length of the playing season, the 'A' Championship, refereeing, disciplinary and commercial issues. Most were dismissed, although the FAI agreed that some matters would be discussed by the league's executive.

That includes the future of the mid-season break, with Dundalk bringing forward a motion suggesting its removal. The Louth club also wish to reduce the playing season by two weeks to reduce financial pressures. Managers are split on the retention of the break, but 54pc of club officials wish for it to be scrapped as they can bring in no income during this week but most are still paying their players and staff.

Drogheda United called for the league to cease sponsorship with national newspapers, betting chains and radio stations other than RTE. A number of clubs feel their income has been hit by the umbrella sponsorship of the league by Boylesports, 'The Star' and Newstalk.

The terms of their respective arrangements with the FAI mean that rival operations are prevented from offering certain kinds of sponsorship, thus closing a potential revenue stream.

While the FAI will discuss the club's concerns, they counter that prize money from the league has increased. Going forward, consideration will be given to distributing prize money in a more equal fashion amongst all clubs. At present, the league champions receive €280,000.

Dundalk also appealed for the scrapping of the 'A' Championship, believing that it is putting an unwelcome financial burden on participating clubs, with Waterford United stressing that it should be optional rather than compulsory for senior sides to field a reserve team in a league which also features emerging non-league teams aspiring towards League of Ireland level.

The competition has been beset by problems, with Drogheda bringing a motion to complain about the "unacceptable level" of refereeing.

The Irish Independent has learned of one case where a club, short of two players for an away 'A' Championship match, paid two locals to make up their team while a number of fixtures have been postponed because clubs didn't have enough players.

development

However, the FAI are adamant that the league will play a vital part in the future development of the game.

Abbotstown authorities said they could not consider four motions related to officialdom as they are subject to discussions with the Referees Department in the FAI.

Waterford have called for an "urgent review" of referees fees and expenses in light of the current economic situation. It's understood that the FAI are in negotiations with referees about this matter.

Yet they will not be acting upon a motion from Dundalk asking that a referee should not be appointed to a game where one of the competing teams are from the same city or town as the referee.

With half of next year's Premier Division clubs based in Dublin and the majority of officials hailing from the capital, such a policy would be unsustainable without a dramatic cull of the current hierarchy.

- daniel mcdonnell

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-1962311.html
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    Numerous figures in the game have spoken out against the 10-team top flight, arguing there is too much repetition while clubs in the First Division feel isolated.
    Let's go ride bikes!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    That's a depressing read. What's the point of a review where the opinions of the league are ignored? I agree that immediate change would be difficult but the message here seems to be 'you've had your say, now we'll do exactly what we wanted to anyway'. On the other hand

I'm glad that the A championship is likely be continued though it does raise the question as to how Derry would be allowed to simply skip it. So it CCFC are refused a license will FORAS be given that option? What about the other A league clubs? All very messy.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    No way should the 'A' Championship be scrapped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Has anyone heard whether the A league will be continued next season or not? There has been rumours of it being "done away with" but nothing confirming either way as of yet.

Also the Under 20 League: Some are saying that it will be changed to Under 19's for next season but the same 4 group format.
    Personally that's a load of sh!te and Packie Bonner needs to get the finger out and re-structure the underage system for senior clubs.
    12 games in 12 months is not enough for a young player, you need a minimum of 25-30 games to offer.

I know a few clubs have asked for a national under 18 league but again the is nothing coming from the FAI on this.

Sorry for doing an IorfaJim on it folks.
    Liam Buckley was on Setanta Sports last week talking about Sporting's season and the set up they have in Fingal. He mentioned that they currently have an U20s side but that will change to an U19 side next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Why are we all looking for the Fai to give us the answers?

It's the clubs that needs to answer a few things.The Fai are just enforcing the rules, which has finally copped out some of the clubs, and will hopefully, clean the system so as to say we can have a sustainble, professional football league in this country.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    The Monaghan, Waterford and Dundalk motions seem to be short-sighted as there would be no point in abolishing the A championship if the clubs involved were sent back to junior football, also a reserve league would then have to be established to cater for the Premier teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    That's a depressing read. What's the point of a review where the opinions of the league are ignored? I agree that immediate change would be difficult but the message here seems to be 'you've had your say, now we'll do exactly what we wanted to anyway'.
    Or they could be saying "listen you voted for this 10 team thing a couple of years ago stop changing you mind every 5 minutes"

Remember the indo sometimes takes a bit of license and "numerous figures" could be anything from 3 to 20. The motion was dismissed, which means the majority still want the status quo, at least in the short term.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The motion was dismissed, which means the majority still want the status quo, at least in the short term.
    I've no idea what happened in the meeting, but if it was voted on and rejected would it not be "defeated" rather than dismissed? To me, "dismissed" suggests it didn't even go to a vote with the FAI ruling it out of order (or some other reason) that committee's use when they don't like the cut of a motions jib.

I think the 10 team league is again proving crap, but the clubs did vote to hand control to the tool and his crony's.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Yeah, my understanding is that the motions were not even addressed.

There's an argument for not letting the clubs tinker as they've done it for so long so unsuccessfully of course.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    There's an argument for not letting the clubs tinker as they've done it for so long so unsuccessfully of course.
    That's what I would think - every year they look for a 'quick fix'
    I'd like to think the FAI are holding out for a long term solution

(yes, i know this means having to trust the FAIlures - it's a BIG leap of faith)
    http://trophymanager.com/?c=489688
    Trophy Manager - online football managment game - I like it - I think I'm getting obsessed with it though.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I've no idea what happened in the meeting, but if it was voted on and rejected would it not be "defeated" rather than dismissed? To me, "dismissed" suggests it didn't even go to a vote with the FAI ruling it out of order (or some other reason) that committee's use when they don't like the cut of a motions jib.

I think the 10 team league is again proving crap, but the clubs did vote to hand control to the tool and his crony's.
    My understanding is that they were ruled out of order by the top table and therefore didn't even merit a discussion!

I am a little wary of the clubs trying to run their own show - which is why the FAI took over the league 3 year ago - but it seems their views were completely ignored.

It is also interesting to hear that just four clubs put motions to the convention which at least indicates they are thinking about the situation!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Fair points in the motions not being heard.
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    With the meeting confined to just 2 hours on a midweek evening there was very little scope to discuss or to hear many motions or complaints

Obviously the whole thing was stage-managed and carefully choreographed by the FAI/top table to stifle any real debate.

A full one day weekend date would have been more productive and democratic.
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Very disappointed to note that Dundalk were for abolishing the A championship. Smacks of the worst kind of short termism.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    As much as mid week league fixtures will never work in this country, the same applies to the current ten league, its a un-workable product and its proven in the many stats we have, lots on here, that the crowds reduce in the majority of second round home games v same clubs. Examples, we had 3,800 v Bohs on day 1 v 2,600 or something in rd3, 3,500 v Drogs, 2,800 (rd 3), even worse for less attractive clubs, think we hit a low of 1,200 v Bray (series 3 mid week)

A 16 team league, h + a once, stretch out the fai cup/lge cup to make up extra home games is the only way to go, have the likes of Rovers and Bohs travel to 'tricky' venues like Athlone, Limerick, Finn Harps, to fight for their lifes for 3 pts, instead of cosy 20 km round trips within Dublin city, while I`m at it, re-instate Cobh kick out Fingal, etc etc.

Now thats what I call League of Ireland.
    Last edited by oriel; 05/12/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Very disappointed to note that Dundalk were for abolishing the A championship. Smacks of the worst kind of short termism.
    Some of the clubs in their had no place at all in the LOI,so why should they be let into the A-League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    As much as mid week league fixtures will never work in this country, the same applies to the current ten league, its a un-workable product and its proven in the many stats we have, lots on here, that the crowds reduce in the majority of second round home games v same clubs. Examples, we had 3,800 v Bohs on day 1 v 2,600 or something in rd3, 3,500 v Drogs, 2,800 (rd 3), even worse for less attractive clubs, think we hit a low of 1,200 v Bray (series 3 mid week)
    They didn't srop because of the opposition, they dropped because the new season buzz had worn off and you weren't in contention for anything. Rovers crowds got better throughout the season, and it wasn't down to who thye were playing

Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Some of the clubs in their had no place at all in the LOI,so why should they be let into the A-League?
    If they fit the criteria, let them in. Every club has to start somewhere.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

A 16 team league, h + a once, stretch out the fai cup/lge cup to make up extra home games is the only way to go, have the likes of Rovers and Bohs travel to 'tricky' venues like Athlone, Limerick, Finn Harps, to fight for their lifes for 3 pts, instead of cosy 20 km round trips within Dublin city, while I`m at it, re-instate Cobh kick out Fingal, etc etc.

Now thats what I call League of Ireland.
    I like your style oriel, not only would i re-instate Cobh but i'd chuck in Tralee, Tullamore, Castlebar and Carlow whilst kicking out Mervue and Salthill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast