1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Dolan View Post
    **** the FAI, **** the national team
    I just realised you said Henry not Heary. Apologies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Prunty's face after Roddy's comment was priceless. He looked appaulled but was trying not to laugh at the same time. Personally, I laughed at it. A lot. Shocking thing to come out with on TV though.

Loved the montage at the end. Excellent stuff. T'is just a pity we won't be on it next year unless we get one of the 'big' teams in the Cup.
    Maybe I'll write an email saying how they always focus on the Dub teams and us regional teams are ignored....
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Anyone know what time it gets put on the internet at. Thanks
    Come On You Saints!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieos88 View Post
    Anyone know what time it gets put on the internet at. Thanks
    Depends, but usually tomorrow morning.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    The show is live as far as i know. Often during the course of shows they have had live reports from matches taking place on a Monday and also do the FAI Cup draw.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Special mention to Right Said Dave and Johnny. Looked like they were having a great laugh.
    Nearly fell off the couch laughing, the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The show is broadcasted live, we interviwed Con near the end of last season (October) about the show for The Bit O Red website.

Interview below :

What is your Monday like from Pre Show through to going live and post show ?

Monday is quite a long day. The morning involves going through the running order for the show with Steve, the editor, (He's from Birmingham but follows Bray now because their his local team).

He decides in what order we put the games from the previous weekend, and what will be some of the main talking points.
    We then put a rough script into the computer which is finalised as the day progresses. Sometimes an intro may have to be changed if the same line is used an opening line by the reporter for example.

The voice overs on the various games are done on Monday afternoon after all the match edits have been completed. We have a dedicated team on the show, who go to the matches on Friday and Saturday nights, bring the tapes back to RTE, and edit on Sunday and Mondays.

It's quite a time consuming process, because with the new technology all the games have to be played off tape and onto the digital server, and when that's done the editing starts.

The panellists generally come in at about 5pm, and we watch the match edits, decide on the main talking points, and select the items for analysis. Unlike the premier division, it's not so easy for us to do the sort of John Giles, "hold it there" analysis, as in many cases we might only have one or two cameras at the games, compared with 14 at a premier division game.

6.45 make up
    7.10 Into studio, pre record the teaser...and sometimes Good Bad and Ugly
    Check that talkback is working from the director and editor, and off we go at 8pm.

Given your a Shamrock Rovers fan what's your view on the Tallaght Stadium and playing there next season ?

I can't wait. It's amazing that it's 21 years since Rovers last game at Milltown. The Hoops fans still remember the support they got from the Sligo Rovers fans that day. I have pictures of the new Tallaght stadium on my desk! (sad but true). For all Rovers supporters this is like a new chapter, and hopefully happy days are ahead after a tough two decades.

Do you see an All Ireland League happening in the next 5 to 10 years ?

Maybe inside 10, but I don't see it happening in the immediate future. I can't see the two associations agreeing to a situation that will see European representation halved. The words Turkeys and Christmas come to mind. As the peace process beds in, I can see a situation further down the road when it would make financial sense for Linfield, Glentoran and maybe one or two others to play in an All Ireland League.

Is watching football outside of MNS feel like work or are you a football nut and watching every game on TV ?

Sadly for my other half, I fall into the watching every game on TV category. Eircom league, Premier Division, La Liga, Championship, sometimes Bundesliga/Serie A/Portugues league, and occasionally Blue Square premiership. My excuse to her is that "It's my job, I have to watch it".

Soccer or Football what do you call it outside of the show ?

Football, except when I'm in America, when you talk about football and they immediately think "49ers v Bengals"

Outside of Shams who would you pay to watch in the League ?

Cork City, St Pats, Sligo (Paul Cook has them playing a good brand of football) and I'm looking forward to going to Wexford because I hear the wine is good in the clubhouse!

Has 'Disco' Tony McDonnell shown his Disco skills at any post show drinks yet ?

Not yet, but we're all eagerly anticipating a demo at the end of season wrap party. It's been promised!

Are Roddy, Sean and the lads as animated on football off Camera as they are on camera ?

Probably more so. Sometimes they say things off air that they can't say on air, because times are tough financially and RTE couldn't afford the legal fees for a libel case.

What is your personal vision/how the league will develop over the next 5 years given current financial predicaments ?

I'm very much a "glass is half full" merchant. I know this has been a very very difficult season for the league, as everyone in Sligo would be well aware, but I think when reality bites and wage demands become more realistic, the league can prosper. The increased coverage on television helps not only expose the game to a new audience, but it also makes it an easier sell for the clubs when trying to sell sponsorship, perimeter advertising boards etc etc. Between RTE , TG4 and Setanta, there's a game on nearly every week at the moment, and RTE has plans to greatly increase it's coverage in the coming years.

This has got to be a good thing. When I was younger the only live domestic game was the Cup final. So if the clubs continue to approach things in a professional manner and use initiatives to try to get more bums on seats, I can see a rosy future for the league and for the clubs who stick to a business plan without getting carried away by paying unsustainable wages.

How do you feel the first season of MNS has gone for you and are you looking forward to returning in 2009 ?

I think season one has gone very well. The programme has been praised in the press on many occasions, and the RTE management seem very happy with the way it's gone. We'd be happier if the viewership figures were higher, but like the Rugby show "Against the head" for example which gets similar audience figures, it's still a niche market which hopefully will grow in season two.

Good luck to the Bit O'Red in 2009 and good luck with the new website.

Con Murphy brief Biog :

Started with Century radio 1989
    Worked as Sports Editor FM 104 1991
    Moved to RTE 1992.
    Highlights, Presenting RTE Radios Olympic coverage Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008.
    World Cup finals 2002 Japan and Korea
    On RTE Television presents MNS, Eircom League Live, Irish Open Golf, Cheltenham Racing Festival,
    Basketball, Hockey, and outside of sports, also presents Crimecall.
    Last edited by Guts&Glory; 24/11/2009 at 9:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weecountyman View Post
    I guess you've a petition going to get rid of the filth on the Stickitin, the poor attempts at humour on the Panel etc etc. Woodquay, it was something that (if said between fans) would raise a chuckle, and that's that. You bring in what was alleged to have happened with his brother and his ex wife really isn't correct. Worse taste than Roddy's attempt at humour.

Mint sauce, he's going strong in Malta, 4 wins in a row, just beat the reigning champs on their patch 3-2 (with 10 men), they're raving over him apparently.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...s-to-beat-hibs
    You go on and continue to think domestic violence is humourous, I'll stick with the opinion it was a disgraceful comment
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    You go on and continue to think domestic violence is humourous, I'll stick with the opinion it was a disgraceful comment
    I must say it was quite obviously a joke and I for one found it relatively funny. I think the extreme PC brigade need to wind their necks in. Nobody could possibly have believed that Paul Cook actually beats his wife on foot of this quip!

I also thought the Right Said Fred impersonation was extremely humorous. For all its faults I still think MNS is a good watch and the League would be in a much worse position if it was withdrawn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Great show, really does a great job to show what is on offer in the LOI. I'll miss watching it on Monday nights. Hopefully it will be just as good come next March.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Always enjoy Con's RTE blog.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/conmurphy/

Definitely looking forward to watching it. He's wrong about the worst kit though, CSKA's away kit was bad, but I think Derry's kit this season is equally as bad!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Could Jimmy Magee get any closer to Michael McGowan in the interview?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weecountyman View Post
    Crass thing to say, lots of very embarassed laughter and he tried to make light of it. But in fairness it was a joke lots would make, but not on public tv, have to sack the editor (it's taped after all!).
    It goes out LIVE on on TV. Get your facts right before asking for someone to be sacked!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    This isn't online yet is it? Probably a last minute edit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This show has been great for giving exposure to LOI football that is sadly lacking in the rest of the media e.g. the Indo gave more coverage to the GAA recognising the GPA than to Fingals cup win on Sunday .RTE and TnaG also grand for live matches .
    I think the idea on last night was to bring all the panellists together for the final programme - thats why Roddy Collins was there, he hasnt been on since he got the Malta job . Probably wishes he wasnt now .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    A lot of people will disagree with me but i think MNS is a downright amateur joke.

Too much babble and not enough action, topped off with all the gimmicky jazz like MNS factor.Although i thought the archive thing was good.

Why can't it be run the same way "Premier Soccer Saturday" is run?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule View Post
    A lot of people will disagree with me but i think MNS is a downright amateur joke.

Too much babble and not enough action, topped off with all the gimmicky jazz like MNS factor.Although i thought the archive thing was good.

Why can't it be run the same way "Premier Soccer Saturday" is run?
    Probably down to the fact that they don't have the same level of coverage at the games (2-3 cameras compares to 14 or more at premier league games)

I guess the idea behind it is a mixture of match of the day, soccer am and soccer saturday.

My main gripe with the show has always been roddy but after last night performance I don't think he will be an issue any longer.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    It was a good show .. I watched it this morning and I was nearly late for work because the craic was good..Roddys comments were patronising and disrespectful.. The show was better without him.. He misses not being the centrefold of attention.. I would bet you that he gets very little coverage in Malta which is why he came back..

It was strange Sean Prunty being dressed up but somehow it suits him to the ground.. great to see on the the last clips of the program when the theme tune started that Liam Lynchs goal in Galway was featured plus one of our world renowned Section O Leaders being featured on the telly in all his glory at the Bray game!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've been defending MNS for some time now to other female LOI fans, who reckon it's all a big boys' club, and nothing else. But after this week, I can't defend it anymore.

Roddy's a loose cannon, and a bit of an idiot to say the least, so I don't have great expectations of him. But he didn't just say it once, he actually repeated it once or twice, with no sense of shame whatsoever. He was like a teenage boy at the back of the class, making personal comments at the teacher's expense. What was nearly worse than his comment, was the reaction of the panel around him, giggling hysterically while Con tried (and failed) to issue a proper apology. I think it falls flat when you are trying not to laugh and everyone around you treats it with the same degree of seriousness.

Then, after the break, you had the Thunderstrike sequence with two random promo girls arm-in-arm with Danny Murphy and Mark Rossiter, for seemingly no reason whatsoever other than to be "decorative". Which is something that I would normally just cringe at, but after the whole Roddy episode, it just rankled.

I wouldn't blame Paul Cook if he does take RTE to task on this (although I'm not so sure he will), but I don't think he needed apologising to so much, as the general public. For every woman watching who's suffered domestic abuse, every kid who has been hit and watched his mother or sister endure the same. How many of the people in this thread who claim "it's just a laugh" have been a victim of domestic abuse? It's a bit like people who claim there's not much racism in this country - well, if you're white, Irish and middle class, you're not going to be the person targeted, are you?! RTE is our national broadcaster, they have a responsibility to the public that pays its licence fee. In no way can this be defended.

(I did laugh at the karaoke sequence, btw, in case people seem to think I'm a humourless cow. Johnny Mac and Dave Barry to beat Jedward to the Christmas number 1...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Any chance someone has the footage and can put it up on youtube?
    You've got no fans.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast