Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny signs contract with 'new' Derry City

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Word around Dundalk is he couldn't agree on terms so either he really likes living in Derry or the "revised terms" are still higher than our board were willing to offer.
    Kenny on half of last years wages, Dundalk offered alot higher terms, had a provisional yes as of last friday now back to square one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnie01 View Post
    Kenny on half of last years wages, Dundalk offered alot higher terms, had a provisional yes as of last friday now back to square one
    That's still pretty damn good wages then so.

I find it hard to believe Kenny signed a 2 year contract for the "Loyalty" of the club (a brand new club for that matter).

His family are said to be settled in Donegal so for that matter I can understand him wanting to stay but, if he was only going to be working with pennies and on a small wage I couldn't see him signing.

Kenny must have got decent promises (budget, etc) and whilst I want Derry to stay in the league, it sickens me to my stomach that they can just start from scratch with no debts and walk straight into the First division. Meanwhile, clubs like ourselves, Athlone, Longford must plan our budgets around paying off old debt as well as putting a team on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    His family are said to be settled in Donegal so for that matter I can understand him wanting to stay but, if he was only going to be working with pennies and on a small wage I couldn't see him signing.
    I think that's the main reason actually. He didn't move his family to Scotland because of that reason. He didn't want to move the wanes from one school to another knowing that he may have to move them again in the near future.
    Still reckon he'll move back to Dublin at some stage, but maybe when the wanes start secondary school.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Kenny's as mad as a bag of spanners. More insane than Roy Keane in a lot of ways. Thats probably why he re-signed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Kenny's as mad as a bag of spanners. More insane than Roy Keane in a lot of ways. Thats probably why he re-signed.

You confusing him with Roddy ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM11 View Post
    Happens in business every day - new club new board - why should they be saddled with the previous lots debt

would you rather we had no team next year in derry and that the fans payed back the mindless debt of a calamitous few people.

Dont forget Derry fans have suffered at the hands of the previous board too - ie next seasons pre-paid season tickets and the season ticket holders who paid into the last game of season even tho the club already knew the gate money was a drop in the ocean

comon the new city !
    Doesn't happen in business everyday, feel sorry for the fans yes but leaving creditors and ex employees waiting for money and not honouring contracts is thievery. I'll defend J Delaney on many things but DCFC should have been expelled full stop. It was deception!

Sam Heggy is right, most of the clubs who have suffered in the last 18 months have agreed payment plans with creditors, patron schemes with members and not wash their hands of previous errors. They will be better run and more disciplined as a result though very painful now. Really is two fingers to the rest of us in Div 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Before anyone gets to far up on their high horse

1) the breakdown of the creditors is relevant. The vast majority of the debt (c80% off the top of my head) is to the directors who got us into the mess and the players who signed two contracts. I feel sorry for the remainder of the creditors, and hopefully something will be done to help them (McGinn sell on fee may help the liquidator in this respect).

2) As posted previously, what we are doing in reality is no different to the examinership that Rovers and some other clubs have gone through. The creditors there got almost equally shafted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    In fairness thats a crock of ****. What would stop all clubs just building up a load of debt, change board members, folding and recreating debt free in the first division?
    Well, licencing was set up to prevent exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    1) the breakdown of the creditors is relevant. The vast majority of the debt (c80% off the top of my head) is to the directors who got us into the mess and the players who signed two contracts. I feel sorry for the remainder of the creditors, and hopefully something will be done to help them (McGinn sell on fee may help the liquidator in this respect).
    The Liquidator will dispose of what little assets are left to pay the debts to
    1. cover his own bill, which will likely use up everything
    2. money owed to the person who brought the liquidation order
    3. players and employees owed money are preferential creditors
    4. Everybody else. Money will be long gone by the time local business get a sniff

2) As posted previously, what we are doing in reality is no different to the examinership that Rovers and some other clubs have gone through. The creditors there got almost equally shafted.
    It might be no different in terms of the eventual outcome to creditors, but there's a huge difference [or at tleast there's meant to be] in terms of licencing.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whats galling in this case, just like Rovers and Cork, is that these options are there simply because these clubs had no property, basically telling any potential club that the last thing you should do is invest in your infrastructure.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Surprised that no-one's mentioned the role Kenny had in Derry's downfall in the first place - overnight stays, flights and what have you. Given the criticism of him in many quarters, what do people make of him staying on? Is he going to be good with money next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    basically telling any potential club that the last thing you should do is invest in your infrastructure.
    Or invest in it under a different company, as many businesses do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Given the criticism of him in many quarters, what do people make of him staying on?
    I would have let him walk and I wouldn't have shed any tears over it.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    We needed a clean page IMO. Too much baggage with Kenny.

Figuratively and literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Who has signed him? Who sits on this steering committee and how did they get their roles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    Who has signed him? Who sits on this steering committee and how did they get their roles?
    They sat down and talked about it presumably?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    They sat down and talked about it presumably?
    Maybe my question wasn't clear.

What was the process by which this steering committee was pulled together and registered a new Derry City FC Company. Is there supporter involvement, do you even know who's on the committee, did the FAI stick their oar in? I'm just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    Maybe my question wasn't clear.

What was the process by which this steering committee was pulled together and registered a new Derry City FC Company. Is there supporter involvement, do you even know who's on the committee, did the FAI stick their oar in? I'm just curious.
    The FAI met with members of the Group, and separately with fans representatives, a few weeks ago.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The press release refers a few times to the new Derry playing in the First Div next season.

The closing date for licence applications was Oct 31st last.
    http://www.loi.ie/index.php/about/club-licensing/faqs

The new Derry can't have applied for a licence yet.

Has John Delaney & Co promised them a licence anyway - regardless of the Independent Licencing Cmtee and the set procedures and timescales?
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    As of this morning, Stephen Kenny had not actually signed a contract with anyone - not that it really matters, as he clearly intends to complete the necessary paperwork.

In many ways his decision to stay with Derry is hard to understand as opposed to taking up Dundalks offer - accepting a substantial lower offer at Derry, with a modest budget presumably, possibility of spending the next 2 years in the Discover Ireland league, and all this without the certainty of Derry actually being in the league etc

Even the attraction of the family being settled locally, while obviously a factor, is hardly the biggest issue.Stephen Kenny is obviously a decent guy, with a high level of loyality and integrity - a quality that does not rear its head too often in football.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    As of this morning, Stephen Kenny had not actually signed a contract with anyone - not that it really matters, as he clearly intends to complete the necessary paperwork.

In many ways his decision to stay with Derry is hard to understand as opposed to taking up Dundalks offer - accepting a substantial lower offer at Derry, with a modest budget presumably, possibility of spending the next 2 years in the Discover Ireland league, and all this without the certainty of Derry actually being in the league etc

Even the attraction of the family being settled locally, while obviously a factor, is hardly the biggest issue.Stephen Kenny is obviously a decent guy, with a high level of loyality and integrity - a quality that does not rear its head too often in football.
    He may be a "decent guy" but by God I wouldn't let him within a million miles of a football club given the debt run up by Derry. I think managers are all to quick to completely wash their hands of the financial problems which they have helped to create. This is evident not only in the Derry scenario but also in Bohemians problems whilst Paul Doolin and financial problems seem to be inextricably linked. Its about time managers stopped prioritising their own career progression and reconnected to the real world and ceased their ridiculous demands like overnight stays and massive contracts for players.

Against this backdrop I think Derry are being very brave and they will need to keep him on a tight rein even if they do start to enjoy some success.

Finally I would echo the comments by other posters to the effect that the way Derry have been allowed to worm their way out of this situation with a minimum of punishment is very disappointing. Most of the clubs in the League and indeed the First Division are struggling to stay afloat due to a sea of debt but Derry are allowed to cancel £800,000 worth and start back only one divsion below that in which they had previously operated without the burden of creditors etc. Scant punishment! Would the FAI be so accomodating if other clubs went the same way? Highly doubtful!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    He may be a "decent guy" but by God I wouldn't let him within a million miles of a football club given the debt run up by Derry. I think managers are all to quick to completely wash their hands of the financial problems which they have helped to create. This is evident not only in the Derry scenario but also in Bohemians problems whilst Paul Doolin and financial problems seem to be inextricably linked. Its about time managers stopped prioritising their own career progression and reconnected to the real world and ceased their ridiculous demands like overnight stays and massive contracts for players.

!
    Might be true, but surely in his first reign he generated the club a nice few pay days what with the magnificent Euro runs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast