Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Cup final memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    The 2006 Final is the most memorable for me, not only cos it was a great game (and we won!), but also the weather.
    Madness altogether. Got soaked waiting for the bus in the Belfast to start the day off.
    Balls not staying still for free kicks, corner flags blowing away and people being allowed into the stands instead of having to stand behind the goals getting wet. Not that being in the stand actually helped. I still left completely drenched. Brilliant craic.

Always remember Longford's win in the 2003 final too, since it was their first trophy and I've a wee soft spot for Longford.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    The first game in '89 Derry V Cork when if a goal had of been scored deaths could have occured as the Derry end was so packed. The replay were we won 1-0 wasn't as bad as we only had about 11,000 fans at it in Dalymount.

The '06 final was the best I've ever seen and as I had booked into the same hotel as the team the celebrations were unreal, still getting rounds at the bar with the players at 5.30am!

The standard of football last year was probably the best though with two very good teams. (happy now bohs fans I'm giving ye's credit)
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Sleeping in and missing the bus to the '06 Cup Final. Couldn't have picked a worse game to miss.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I remember crying at not being brought to the 1971 cup final but can't remember Limerick winning the cup.

I can remember watching the 1972 final live on tv and Miah Dennehy's hatrick. I was 5 but that was my 2nd season watching Limerick.

My first final was 1977 when we lost to Dundalk. Gutted obviously. Went to 1981 cheering on Dundalk as it sent us into Europe. 1982 was very sweet as we beat Bohs in a neutral Dalymount. Having more fans that day probably helped. Great seeing your own team win the cup although the league meant far more 2 years earlier.

I've been to most since 1988. Missed 91 through Packie Bonnar's testimonial and 94 eventhough I was in Dublin but had to go back to Galway (I lived there then) before the final as I was feeling really sick and the weather was awful. Missed Bohs v Longford (can't remember why), 2 of the Harps v Bray (work) and left Pats v Longford after a minute due to a screaming 2 yearold.

As a neutral Bray v St. Francis was the most enjoyablle more so for the occasion rather then the quality of the football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I remember a Mick Leech scoring against Waterford back in the 60s, 3-0, I was hanging out of the floodlights. I was never a Rovers supporter but a lot of my mates were.
    Always look on the bright side of life

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Surely our 2 wins should be your top 2 Marty?
    I am posting with a neutral head thats all. Of course our two wins are good memories I am using my memory of my best ever cup finals that I witnessed for drama.. If I was posting with a LTFC head on then the two cup wins would be in the top two thats for sure..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    I have only 1 cup memory of note that i remember in my few years as a City supporter, winning the cup in 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Unfortunately I only have bad memories of the Cup Final being a Pats fan. Losing to Longford in 03 was terrible, especially going into it as favourites but 06 was worse IMO. Went in as underdogs but to take the lead three times and not win is cruel, I really thought the cup was ours when Molloy slotted the peno for 2-1
    Come On You Saints!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12