Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I've lost faith in Ireland.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    The Irish are a horrible group of people.

Cowardly, money-grabbing, would sell their own grandmother for a few more pints, back stabbing atrocious group of individuals. Not as funny as they think they are, and in general have to rely on them and others being drunk for their personalities to come out. Usually that personality is rubbish as well. In fact I'd credit this lack of personality and national character as to why the Irish in general will jump on whatever bandwagon is rolling along and pretend that that's what makes them Irish and lovable.

You see it with the support of British football
    You see it in Munster rugby
    You see it in nonsense like Arthur's Day
    You see it every day walking the street
    You see it on election days

Truly the Irish are Europe's shame

That's what's wrong with the Irish. Also Churchill was right, the Irish can't govern themselves
    Did you ever look up the meaning of the word generalisation? A frankly baffling post. You are essentially saying because SOME Irish people support British clubs or Some Irish people like Munster Rubby or some Irish people have a penchant for Guinness, and then the catch all of, people who walk or vote that these things make the Irish horrible?

The rest of your post is just a lazy stereotype written by a guy who clearly feels life handed him a raw deal. Maybe if you stayed out of the company of the Irish who drink and shied away from the money grabbers you might start to feel better about yourself. Ddi you ever think that your post actually reflects on the people you associate in your own myopic microcosm rather than society at large.

For instance my friends and colleagues are humourous, intelligent gregarious people who don't need alcohol to enjoy themselves. The are principled people who will readioy stand up for what they believe in. Personally I have stood up to anyone or anything that would impinge negatively on my life, also I have a cracking personality and I am good craic with a few pints on board. Also I am a proud Irishman. How do you like dem apples?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'm an Irish Gooner, i've supported them for years and i don't plan to end it.

I started supporting bray a few years ago when a mate of mine asked me to go to a Bray game, i had other plans that friday night so i had to be convinced to go..

Anyway, i don't have any problem if Irish people support English teams, just hate when they refer to them as WE and US...
    And when they slag off the Loi, makes the blood boil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    I always found it ironic and sums up the whole situation the fact that thousands of Irish people travel to Stamford Bridge every second week when their hardcore fan base has/or had a serious anti-Irish element in it.
    I can vouch for that. My ex was a big Chelsea fan and she brought me to a Chelsea match. We went to a bar where there seemed to be the hardcore Chelsea fans. They chanted a few anti-Irish songs, the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had.

I do get a few funny looks if people ask who I support. it's always 'Longford Town' but that said I did grow up a Liverpool fan, but no real passion for them these days.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    I can vouch for that. My ex was a big Chelsea fan and she brought me to a Chelsea match. We went to a bar where there seemed to be the hardcore Chelsea fans. They chanted a few anti-Irish songs, the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had.

I do get a few funny looks if people ask who I support. it's always 'Longford Town' but that said I did grow up a Liverpool fan, but no real passion for them these days.
    Weirdly, perhaps - maybe because I'm full of self -loathing - that kind of thing doesn't bother me too much. I used to go to Colchester Utd matches when I was there, a big, big army town, base for all the Para regiments that served in the North, and every game there'd be a choruses of 'No surrender to the IRA' and 'I'd rather be a **** than a Mick' and so on, and it never really impinged too much: and when I told people I was Irish, it never provoked any reaction. Taking the sentiments expressed in football songs seriously - either by the singers, or the target - is hardly ever wise. I don't think Rovers fans are 'the scum of Ireland' nor do I think Longford fans shag their sisters, but i will sing along: so, you know....
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    So if your cousin supported Manure Utd then........................quite random isnt it?

Dont care if you diss the LOi, it really is your loss.
    Firstly I have never slagged of the LOI and never would either. Please show where I HAVE.

Secondly my cousin was a big influence on me when I was younger so I guess if he supported another team I would have too, to be honest. (It is not based on 1 visit to my cousin!). As long as somebody sticks with there team then I don't have a problem with it.

Thirdly I am not offering it as an excuse! Why should I have to offer an excuse for anything?

Some people on here are rightly riduculing people who slagged them off for supporting a LOI team.

In turn some so called fans are slagging me off because I don't support a LOI team myself.

Hmmm....I personally would regard either of the above as @rseholes.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I don't support a LOI team - deal with it
    but this sounds like the LOI is beneath you?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The thing that bothers me, and it was evident at the weekend and will be evident again tonight, Is that when you are in a bar discussing football and someone asks you who you support..If the answer is an LoI club, there tends to be a bit of a 'sher then what would you know about real football' attitude. the irony is not lost on me. I have gotten desensitized to Ireland fans saying stuff like 'im not surprised, shure anelka has been playing great in the last few weeks for us' you can see how it might be a bit annoying.
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That's it, I'm becoming a Sandefjord fan. They even sound like where I'm from (Sandyford).
    they mean the same thing. sandyford comes from sandefjord.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's a difference between being "a fan of the game in this sense" and being a supporter. I'm a fan of Barca's play, but I wouldn't consider myself a Barca supporter.
    "Fan" is a much stronger term than "supporter". fan supporter
    Perhaps the term you are looking for is "admirer"! admirer
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I'm seriously embarressed for this country today. We are making ourselves look like pathetic moaning little bitches. So we got a bad refereeing call and lost, boo hoo. Even the Taoiseach getting involved ? Holy Cow.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I'm seriously embarressed for this country today. We are making ourselves look like pathetic moaning little bitches. So we got a bad refereeing call and lost, boo hoo. Even the Taoiseach getting involved ? Holy Cow.
    Have to agree.

We all moan about this kind of thing, but we also know it happens all the time and you just get on with it. If there's serious grounds for suspecting actual corruption, it would be different, but really there isn't here.

As i said elsewhere, the reaction in France - going by l"Equipe and le Monde anyway - has been embarrassment and remorse, and a willingness to acknowledge the unfairness of what transpired. You just know if Keane had handled the ball into the net, we would be celebrating like mad, with nary a thought for the justice or otherwise of it. Our perpetual 'underdog' mentality would assure us that we somehow 'deserved' it.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    nor do I think Longford fans shag their sisters
    They don't Are you sure???????????????????????????????
    If Robbie Keane got away with any of his multiple handball offences, and scored, would we be calling him a cheat? No. If he hadn't missed that sitter, or Duff or O'Shea hadn't missed their sitters, it wouldn't matter anyway. If Paul 'car Crash' McShane had done his job properly, Henry would never have got the cross in. Moaning about it masks our own deficiencies
    Last edited by WoodquayBoy; 19/11/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    The Taoiseach geting involved was just painful political opportunism.

As if there was even a cat in hell's chance of the game being replayed.

Boo-hoo us....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    The Taoiseach geting involved was just painful political opportunism.

As if there was even a cat in hell's chance of the game being replayed.

Boo-hoo us....
    whats worse is i had to look at that ugly wallrus' face shake as he complained horrible looking man!!
    whats with our politicions being ugly? mary harney! health minister????? whens the last time she exercised? anyway rant over
    wed probably loose the replay wouldnt mind the last 30 mins and penos played again mabe steven ried and innan would be fit?
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 19/11/2009 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    whats worse is i had to look at that ugly wallrus' face shake as he complained horrible looking man!!
    whats with our politicions being ugly? mary harney! health minister????? whens the last time she exercised? anyway rant over
    wed probably loose the replay wouldnt mind the last 30 mins and penos played again mabe steven ried and innan would be fit?
    True. If there was a replay we'd doubtless get gubbed.

Still - everyone's being talking about it, so it helps Cowan deflect attention for a day from the state of the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Did you ever look up the meaning of the word generalisation? A frankly baffling post. You are essentially saying because SOME Irish people support British clubs or Some Irish people like Munster Rubby or some Irish people have a penchant for Guinness, and then the catch all of, people who walk or vote that these things make the Irish horrible?

The rest of your post is just a lazy stereotype written by a guy who clearly feels life handed him a raw deal. Maybe if you stayed out of the company of the Irish who drink and shied away from the money grabbers you might start to feel better about yourself. Ddi you ever think that your post actually reflects on the people you associate in your own myopic microcosm rather than society at large.

For instance my friends and colleagues are humourous, intelligent gregarious people who don't need alcohol to enjoy themselves. The are principled people who will readioy stand up for what they believe in. Personally I have stood up to anyone or anything that would impinge negatively on my life, also I have a cracking personality and I am good craic with a few pints on board. Also I am a proud Irishman. How do you like dem apples?
    Couldn't care less to be fair, read the first two lines, got bored, read the last line, was still bored and here I am

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567