Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 71 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    The points you've raised there goes back to something I pointed out before, if a soccer player does it, it's crass and indulgent, if a rugby player does the same thing, he's earned the right to do it. Cian Healy drives a hummer, and had been clamped in Dublin city centre with it, nobody blinks an eyelid, Stephen Ireland auctioned that car for a breast cancer charity, but nobody remembers that! The New Zealand squad are as tattooed as any premier league team, but it's never mentioned. Let's not get started on Ian Madigan's haircut either!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Think there's something to the supping pints thing. Rugby and GAA players can generally afford to have a couple of pints during the week as it doesn't really inhibit performance. Football players don't really have the same luxury, so by nature they tend to be more closed off whether they live here or in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

The best thing to happen Irish rugby in the long-term is a defeat against Argentina in the QF. Because it shows that we aren't as good as we think we are and need to up our game and consistently the IRFU have shown that they can do that.

I love my country winning at anything.
    Rubbish. They will rattle off 4 or 5 wins in February and March and it'll be smooth sailing again. The Heineken will be flowing again.

I couldn't have been happier when the Argies won. I begrudge any success the rugby team has. Yes, I am bitter.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The points you've raised there goes back to something I pointed out before, if a soccer player does it, it's crass and indulgent, if a rugby player does the same thing, he's earned the right to do it. Cian Healy drives a hummer, and had been clamped in Dublin city centre with it, nobody blinks an eyelid, Stephen Ireland auctioned that car for a breast cancer charity, but nobody remembers that! The New Zealand squad are as tattooed as any premier league team, but it's never mentioned. Let's not get started on Ian Madigan's haircut either!
    And yet you failed to even mention Simon Zebo.

It's a national scandal if a soccer player did what he did. He got such an easy ride (pardon the expression) off the privately educated media.
    You've got no fans.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    And yet you failed to even mention Simon Zebo.

It's a national scandal if a soccer player did what he did. He got such an easy ride (pardon the expression) off the privately educated media.
    And yet you failed to even mention Conor Murray.

It's a national scandal if a soccer player did what he did. He got such an easy ride (pardon the expression) off the publicly educated MeathDrog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Research indicates that participation comes from improved facilities, volunteers etc. Something the GAA is a country mile ahead in this country.
    is that actually the case anymore though? an awful lot of schoolboy teams have improved their facilities greatly over the last 10 years. Floodlit all-weather pitches and very good clubhouse facilities are popping up all over the place. The two clubs nearest me, joeys and cabinteely, have playing facilities to match, or indeed better, any GAA or rugby club in the same area.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    but it's never mentioned. Let's not get started on Ian Madigan's haircut either!
    You leave Viscount Wonderhair alone!

Edit - can't believe this is a 71 page thread - sad stuff.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Rubbish. They will rattle off 4 or 5 wins in February and March and it'll be smooth sailing again. The Heineken will be flowing again.

I couldn't have been happier when the Argies won. I begrudge any success the rugby team has. Yes, I am bitter.
    Why? That's just madness. I can't stand that thick-headedness. Kinda shows people up to be really insecure and petty.

I mean as a Meathman and a Drogs fan I suppose it should come with the territory.

The rugby team are going to be criticised and analysed like never before. It's already happening.
    We will not rattle off 4 or 5 wins this spring. No chance.

I'm just flabbergasted at someone who would wish their own national team to lose. By all means, have no interest but to actually be delighted at the defeat is a bit mental.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Why? That's just madness. I can't stand that thick-headedness. Kinda shows people up to be really insecure and petty.

I mean as a Meathman and a Drogs fan I suppose it should come with the territory.

The rugby team are going to be criticised and analysed like never before. It's already happening.

I'm just flabbergasted at someone who would wish their own national team to lose. By all means, have no interest but to actually be delighted at the defeat is a bit mental.
    I clearly struck a nerve due to the personal digs but I won't respond in a similar way.

I will admit that in previous years I was apathetic towards the rugby team but this year it was all too much.

The hype before the WC was too much. The amount of coverage the WC got was totally disproportionate to the amount of national interest. I hated the half baked analysts that popped up everywhere during the WC, using terms like "offload" and "choke tackle" to masquerade the fact they're talking pure ****e. The media then use phrases like "gone to war" and "soldiers". And we laugh when England play at a World Cup in soccer?

It's not a likeable team, especially now that Paul O'Connell is gone. I have a hard time cheering on 15 juiced lads in a sport that's fundamentally flawed anyway.

But the most sickening thing of all is the double standards. The hero status the rugby players are given is unbelievable, and it's harder to take considering they bottled it (again) and still struggle to win a knockout game in a 'World Cup' where they are one of 10 professional teams. There has to be at least a level playing field in terms of interest and coverage.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    All 15 are juiced?! Tad exaggeration.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Jeez while I agree with your sentiment Bonni, a bit harsh on Meath.I suppose though when I think.of Dublin the idea of a localised atomic bomb comes to.mind!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Edit - can't believe this is a 71 page thread - sad stuff.
    Not really though. Since the thread was started (by a WUM) in 2009 the evidence of media double standards and ridiculously OTT coverage has been worth at least 71 pages. It's nearly 7 years old and that's 10 pages a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I knew you'd defend your favourite thread

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Not really though. Since the thread was started (by a WUM) in 2009 the evidence of media double standards and ridiculously OTT coverage has been worth at least 71 pages. It's nearly 7 years old and that's 10 pages a year.
    A 71 page thread on supposed double standards in the middle of a football forum is a bit mental to me, as someone who loves both sports. You can dress it up any way you like.

To be fair people are entitled to discuss it and it does stimulate a lot of debate but a lot of it is irrational hatred towards rugby people - classic reference by Meathdrog above.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 29/11/2015 at 2:15 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    What is this top? Is it just a random design with a random crest? It was never the actual top right?

http://www.dasportsgear.com/mobile/p...IVQI9Q&click=2
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Pretty sure we've never worn that alright, it looks like something Sheamus might walk out wearing before taking on the undertaker

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    A 71 page thread on supposed double standards in the middle of a football forum is a bit mental to me, as someone who loves both sports. You can dress it up any way you like.

To be fair people are entitled to discuss it and it does stimulate a lot of debate but a lot of it is irrational hatred towards rugby people - classic reference by Meathdrog above.
    im not sure this thread would have lasted so long if there weren't actual double standards, and perhaps if rugby people don't needlessly throw digs football's way (and other sports too, lest we forget - I learnt recently that Rugby League fans are known as "peasants" in some quarters). As it happens I love both sports too and I used to be doing cartwheels when we won big rugby games, and was gutted when France pipped us to the 6N in 2007(?) but some of the guff I have read and heard in the meantime has diminished my enthusiasm.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I have to admit to a certain schadenfreude when Munster lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I clearly struck a nerve due to the personal digs but I won't respond in a similar way.
    Honestly? Whilst I would normally abide by the internet rule of "attack the post not the poster" my natural antipathy towards Meath and Drawda was just too big to contain.

That I thought the post was absolute gash also is testament why I think you're being a bit of a spoofer in this regard.

I will admit that in previous years I was apathetic towards the rugby team but this year it was all too much.
    Why watch it? Why care if it was too much too bear? I mean we were back-to-back European/Six Nations champions, why shouldn't we be hyped up? Why shouldn't we go into the tournament with an notion that we could win it.

The hype before the WC was too much.
    See above.

The amount of coverage the WC got was totally disproportionate to the amount of national interest.
    Why does that matter to you at all? It's a World Cup, taking place in a near-neighour. That we went into as 6N champions. Of course there was going to be hype.

I hated the half baked analysts that popped up everywhere during the WC, using terms like "offload" and "choke tackle" to masquerade the fact they're talking pure ****e

Which half-baked analysts? For every Liam Toland and Neil Francis (though I am a big fan of his anti-drug tirades) there's a Conor O'Shea or a Shane Horgan.
    The same can be said for soccer analysts. At the end of the day, you don't have to listen to them.

The terms offload and choke-tackle are specific terms used for specific plays and actions during rugby matches. What else would they use? How can you be a spoofer if you use terms that are recognised for these specific plays and actions. I would have held my ire for "breakdown" which is over-used as much as "breaking-ball" and "holding-midfielder" are used in their respective sports.

The media then use phrases like "gone to war" and "soldiers". And we laugh when England play at a World Cup in soccer?
    And? Why do you care? Honestly, outside of the Telegraph and The (London) Times I don't think I've read things like that in serious rugby commentary.

And yes, we do laugh at England in soccer because they are our largest near-neighbour and their media is priceless preceding every failure. As I laughed and laugh at the Rugby Union side when they fail. Natural neighbourly anitpathy. See comment about Meath above.

It's not a likeable team, especially now that Paul O'Connell is gone. I have a hard time cheering on 15 juiced lads in a sport that's fundamentally flawed anyway.
    Hardly objective.

What qualities does POC possess that say Peter O'Mahony or Jack McGrath or Rory Best or Sean O'Brien don't possess that make them thoroughly dis-likable?

But the most sickening thing of all is the double standards. The hero status the rugby players are given is unbelievable, and it's harder to take considering they bottled it (again) and still struggle to win a knockout game in a 'World Cup' where they are one of 10 professional teams. There has to be at least a level playing field in terms of interest and coverage.
    There has to be? Why? At the end of the day the media are going to write how they want and what they want once they think it's going to sell papers and ads and clicks. You as a consumer can readily avoid and ignore what is published and broadcast.

If there was only one-professional team I still would be gutted that we lost. The size of the elite level is really irrelevant to this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Jeez while I agree with your sentiment Bonni, a bit harsh on Meath.I suppose though when I think.of Dublin the idea of a localised atomic bomb comes to.mind!
    Hardly that harsh really. I mean calling all 15 players on a pitch juiced is a bit rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    im not sure this thread would have lasted so long if there weren't actual double standards, and perhaps if rugby people don't needlessly throw digs football's way (and other sports too, lest we forget - I learnt recently that Rugby League fans are known as "peasants" in some quarters). As it happens I love both sports too and I used to be doing cartwheels when we won big rugby games, and was gutted when France pipped us to the 6N in 2007(?) but some of the guff I have read and heard in the meantime has diminished my enthusiasm.
    In fairness, the digs go both ways. And a lot of them can be seen on this thread. It's similar to the attitude of EPL supporters wrt LOI.

And yes it was 2007. IIRC, Scotland should have had a penalty try in their game v France and we would have won the 6N. Also it would have helped if we didn't concede that last try v Italy. C'est la vie.

Interesting to note, I actually watched that game (On St Patrick's Day) in the Black Bull in Drogheda, and stayed the night in Bettystown in Co Meath.
    I also got the bar to put on Ireland v Pakistan in the Cricket WC and had the whole bar engrossed by the end of it. Quality.

Maybe my antipathy dissipates sometimes.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 30/11/2015 at 12:02 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Spot on Bonnie. Brilliant post.

29. Thanks From:

Page 71 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast