Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    If the World Cup comes to Ireland, there will be no reason to worry in the North as Ireland will not play there due to crowd capacity. The IRFU will play all Irish games at Croker if possible to maximise revenue. A money making bonanza for the IRFU.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd be surprised if Ireland got it this time around especially as it seems to be mainly based on promises to develop stadiums, but then again the government have never needed an excuse to throw money at the GAA to develop infrastructure they'll barely use.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Has there been a complete list of possible venues earmarked? I've heard Lansdowne, Croke Park, Thomond Park, Ravenhill, Casement Park, Semple Stadium, MacHale Park, Pearse Stadium, the Limerick Gaelic Grounds and Páirc Uí Chaoimh... Is that the complete list?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd be surprised if Ireland got it this time around especially as it seems to be mainly based on promises to develop stadiums, but then again the government have never needed an excuse to throw money at the GAA to develop infrastructure they'll barely use.
    I'd have guessed/hoped that one of the criteria would be how the money spent would have some kind of legacy effect at promoting the game - in that cases the revelopment of GAA stadia might not go down too well (although without them, there's not a hope of Ireland hosting the event).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Obviously they paid a lot towards Croke Park, but that hardly falls into the barely used category. They're giving a nice bit towards PUC, which is in desperate need of redevelopment and will offer a decent alternative to CP/Dublin for a lot of events. What else have they contributed towards, I'm sure there's been plenty but I'm just curious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Has there been a complete list of possible venues earmarked? I've heard Lansdowne, Croke Park, Thomond Park, Ravenhill, Casement Park, Semple Stadium, MacHale Park, Pearse Stadium, the Limerick Gaelic Grounds and Páirc Uí Chaoimh... Is that the complete list?
    Think Musgrave Park, or Independent Park, or whatever its name is now was mentioned as well
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I know Limerick play in Thomond, but it's a shame the re-development of at least one or two club football grounds couldn't be tied into this as well. Tallaght could be "completed" at the end and there's been talk of re-developing Dalymount for years. Is that something that may go ahead as part of the legacy of Dublin's hosting of Euro 2020? The likes of Turner's Cross would have foundations there. Re-development plans for the Brandywell are also being realised (finally).

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    It's a bit ridiculous really that Galway Sportsgrounds, home of Connaught rugby, isn't getting redeveloped to bring it up to scratch for a few group games at least.
    Last edited by osarusan; 11/12/2014 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    England are using 13 venues next year (including the MilStad in Cardiff); Japan expect to have 10-12 in 2019.

Good if it happens and is spread around Ireland, esp to Rugby relative hotbeds. There should be an Ulster country venue. Exeter (the smallest and most remote venue in England 2015) holds 12,000 and will stage Italy v Romania and Namibia against Tonga and Georgia. Ballymena or wherever should be able to handle that with a bit of planning.

Good to hear plans for Brandywell
    Last edited by Gather round; 11/12/2014 at 11:50 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I know Limerick play in Thomond, but it's a shame the re-development of at least one or two club football grounds couldn't be tied into this as well. Tallaght could be "completed" at the end and there's been talk of re-developing Dalymount for years. Is that something that may go ahead as part of the legacy of Dublin's hosting of Euro 2020? The likes of Turner's Cross would have foundations there. Re-development plans for the Brandywell are also being realised (finally).
    The reasonable maximum capacity of Tallaght in the short term wouldn't be much over 10,000 if both ends were developed, so even if it was developed it would be at the very lowest level. It would probably depend on the council contributing a couple of million when the area has much more acute problems than the lack of a rugby stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    It's a bit ridiculous really that Galway Sportsgrounds, home of Connaught rugby, isn't getting redeveloped to bring it up to scratch for a few group games at least.
    I think the minimum capacity for the World Cup is 12,000. Current capacity there is 7,500 so it would need a fair bit of work. Still think it'd be preferable to using Castlebar GAA as the "western" ground as rumoured.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Ideally Connacht would develop a ground elsewhere. Sharing the sportsground with the greyhounds is pretty crap.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It would probably depend on the council contributing a couple of million when the area has much more acute problems than the lack of a rugby stadium.
    Like the lack of a decent GAA stadium.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except, like it or not, GAA is our national sport. And the crowd stats bear this out in the main. Though take yer 'Jap' man's point about 'legacy' re. the egg chasing.

Anyway, simply by virtue of the few countries capable of a RWC, it really 'must' be our turn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Obviously they paid a lot towards Croke Park, but that hardly falls into the barely used category. They're giving a nice bit towards PUC, which is in desperate need of redevelopment and will offer a decent alternative to CP/Dublin for a lot of events. What else have they contributed towards, I'm sure there's been plenty but I'm just curious?
    Charlie, I'm going to insist you explain yourself. And in future, you're going to have to stop ignoring questions

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Oh, please don't...

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don't think Semple Stadium is being considered - but Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney - Killarney must have more hotel rooms than anywhere else in the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Except, like it or not, GAA is our national sport. And the crowd stats bear this out in the main. Though take yer 'Jap' man's point about 'legacy' re. the egg chasing.

Anyway, simply by virtue of the few countries capable of a RWC, it really 'must' be our turn?
    Whilst it is the third most popular spectator sport in Ireland after Gaelic football and hurling, association football is the most widely-played sport in the country: http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Ma...of%20Sport.pdf

There are a few other rugby upstarts vying for the honours of hosting in 2023, including, the US & Canada, Italy, Argentina and Japan. France and South Africa have also expressed interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Can't see it going to South Africa, they've already hosted it, and they had the World cup in 2014.
    I genuinely think Italy are the biggest contenders, they've the stadiums, the infrastructure, the hotel rooms and the accessibility. They could host the tournament tomorrow if they wanted.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Whilst it is the third most popular spectator sport in Ireland after Gaelic football and hurling, association football is the most widely-played sport in the country: http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Ma...of%20Sport.pdf

There are a few other rugby upstarts vying for the honours of hosting in 2023, including, the US & Canada, Italy, Argentina and Japan. France and South Africa have also expressed interest.
    Japan have 2019
    France had it in 2007
    The big contenders are Italy and South Africa imo. Both with far superior infrastructure to ours.
    Argentina will bid as well but they can't sell out home games in the rugby championship so it will be too big a risk for World Rugby to go there.

USA / Canada would be interesting but I think it s a bit premature to be going there considering before the NZ / USA game lately the biggest attendance at a rugby game was about 30k in the US.

Page 61 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast