Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 44 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I feel like a King and you are tasting(vetting) the food for me Stutts.

I came across this article last week and never bothered to read it, but given the fact that you have posted it here, it must be well vetted and worth reading so I shall endeavour to do so now.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...t-2921118.html

Neil Francis more or less confirming my view that there are many who can only see the worst side of football but who can only see the best side of rugby. Good to see an informed rugby insider confirming what anyone with an open mind can already see, though I wouldn't want to be a tattooed defendant in a trial with Franno on jury service!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/10/2011 at 12:18 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    i'd say francis takes half an hour to enjoy his own scent after every time he uses the toilet, what an ignorant w***er

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Can't help but feel that there's a subtext of "we have lost the game to the underclass" running through that article, which would be more or less in character with Francis.
    I had the extreme displeasure of his company at one of the Guinness Area 22 events last year, and left thinking that he was the kind of fan that would turn you off watching rugby if he was your introduction to the game.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to Neil Francis, and certainly wouldn't use him as an excuse to knock the game or supporters of rugby; most genuine rugby fans don't really pay attention to him, and see him as simply a stirrer & shock-journo, when he's not bemoaning the professional era that is. He has various chips on his shoulder & this tends to come out in his articles. Think of Dunphy only without the charm.

Considering his amateur era is that of the 99 call (google it), I don't really buy this suggestion rugby has lost its way.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    its really gone to the dogs alright

Last edited by the bear; 01/11/2011 at 10:28 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Francis has always had an attitude problem. When he played for Blackrock he was a whinger and arrogant. It seems from Tets' comments that nothing has changed. Listening and accepting his judgments is the same as accepting Dunphy's opinions as being valid. In terms of this debate, I love it when we do well at all sports. Being Aussie based, it has been great that we have beaten them in rugby and International Rules. They are the worst losers in the world and will use any excuse except admit that the better team won. When they win their arrogance is sickening.
    Last edited by gastric; 02/11/2011 at 12:24 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ah that 99 call was alright though cos there wasn't any underhanded stuff.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    sort of off topic, but next time a rugby fan points out that all footballers care about is their haircuts, remind him that the Ospreys have had to ban their players from getting fake tans: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...307038369.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to Neil Francis
    This, such a deplorable pundit/journalist.

Interestingly Leinster got 48,000 in the Aviva for an unimportant league match which is a glorified warmup for the bigger H-cup games next week. Both sides even resting some players.

Meanwhile the crunch Armenian fixture had 3,000 less.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 05/11/2011 at 12:18 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    How many more away fans did Munster bring than Armenia?

Leinster v Munster is the ultimate bandwagon game anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Don't know but they're all Irish fans so I don't think theres any significance what the Leinster/Munster split was. The point is more Irish people turned out to watch a club rugby game than a do or die euro 2012 soccer qualifier.

Heineken cup games coming up against foreign teams so will be interesting to see if those kind of numbers hold. Particularly to compare with Estonia at home.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think this notion will be firmly put to bed in 2012!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Anyone see the RTE 9 O'clock news and the rugby supporter being interviewed at the airport stating that just as well it wasn't a soccer match otherwise there might have been trouble. Arrogant ****.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    That's the way these guys are. Arrogant ****s that get a nosebleed if they stray further west than the DART line.

Mickey Mouse organisation yesterday. It was well known that the temperataures were going to be well below zero.

The 6N is sport's equivalent of Groundhog Day. Same teams, same players, same outcomes over and over again. This year's tournament has so little consequence it's unreal. It's too soon after a WC - where we lost to Wales again - to carry any great significance.

A win in Paris would be great but the simple minded Irish sporting public will tolerate poor performances as long as we beat a woeful England team that only won yesterday because Italy were more woeful. An AIL team would have put that match to bed. I can place kick better than the Italian guy yesterday.

An increasing number of people (OK, about 4!) among my peer group are beginning to agree with me.

The Rabo league is a procession and is about as predictable as the SPL.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Ok I didn't see the piece because I don't have access to the Irish news but I have to admit that in rugby you wouldn't see the scenes that you see at Bohs and Rovers matches or the trouble that is routinely seen up and down the country at GAA matches. I presume it was a toff stating that fact in a really condescending manner, but at the same time I would have to agree that trouble is less likely to occur at rugby matches.

Stutts as regards the 6N being repetitive, maybe it is but every match is essentially an intense local derby, which is what makes it great. Same outcomes? In the past 4 years, there have been four different winners of the competition, I'm failing to see your logic there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Ahh give over now - don't start dragging out the tired clichés because of one flippant voxpop. West Brits blah blah blah - reverse snobbery how are you. The man a toff? Funny he looked like a typical Irishman to me - but then I guess people see what they want to see

Man was just mouthing off out of spur-of-the-moment frustration and rightly so. Rugby or soccer, last night's trip to Paris wouldn't have been cheap for any of those people and 70K+ were told to go home 5 minutes before the match was meant to start. While sitting in a stadium at the fag-end of Paris - St. Denis is in the middle of nowhere. I'd be more interested to have seen the voxpops considering un-broadcastable 'cos there would have been a lot of people far angrier than our apparent West-Brit-toff. Not to mention the thousands of angry French people

As for the 6 Nations as a repetitive tournament - every 12 months you get passionate derby games with knockout matchups. Great stuff altogether, there's a lot to be said for that format.
    Last edited by amaccann; 12/02/2012 at 9:27 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Great stuff altogether? Italy v England was dross. Scotland v England was dross. The standard was awful, intense local derby or not. Even Ireland v Wales was painful to watch sometimes, especially Ireland's constant ineffective kicking from hand tactic.

I've never in my life seen Irish or French football fans in any trouble. I never said anything about Rovers or Bohs, nor would I attempt to bury my head in the sand on that front. Had that been the FRA v IRL play-off in November 2009 that was called off at the last minute I'd be pretty confident there'd have been no trouble.

As for the format / status of the competition? The H-Cup has become more important and the RWC is far more important. They might be local derbies but as far as I can see most of the fans are there for the booze up and not much else. It's a (mainly) lads' trip away with a sporting contest attched. Nothing wrong with that in itself but just don't tell me that the context of the 6N is supposed to get me excited this season, because it doesn't.

To this (all) sports enthusiast the 6N just rings hollow so soon after the RWC.

Football has many ills, I fully get that. I just wish the rugby heads would have the decency to accept that their sport is also riddled wth rule anomalies, refereeing inconsistencies, and as the sport's professional era becomes more advanced, bad sportsmanship, bad off pitch behaviour and all of that. I don't see much evidence that they do.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Anyone see the RTE 9 O'clock news and the rugby supporter being interviewed at the airport stating that just as well it wasn't a soccer match otherwise there might have been trouble. Arrogant ****.
    It was on the nine o'clock news on RTE, you should be able to watch it here: http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1135585 same goes for anyone watching outside Ireland, AFAIK the news programs are not geo-locked
    The report starts around the ten minute mark, the guy says "If it was a soccer match, it would have been a lot worse reaction, if you like"
    who the fcuk asked him to compare it to soccer? There hasn't been problems at an Ireland soccer game since the England match in Lansdowne in 1995, and that was clearly not the home fans at fault. Meanwhile, there's been near riot conditions at GAA games as recently as two weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Great stuff altogether? Italy v England was dross. Scotland v England was dross. The standard was awful, intense local derby or not.
    England getting praise yesterday on BBC for winning two consecutive away games for the first time in years. Conveniently ignoring those games were against the worst two teams in the tournament, and I'd put money on them not winning another game for the rest of the six nations.

I've never in my life seen Irish or French football fans in any trouble. I never said anything about Rovers or Bohs, nor would I attempt to bury my head in the sand on that front. Had that been the FRA v IRL play-off in November 2009 that was called off at the last minute I'd be pretty confident there'd have been no trouble.
    considering what did happen in the play off game, the response of the fans should have been praised. Both sides actually, some French fans apologised to me when I got back to Paris.

As for the format / status of the competition? The H-Cup has become more important and the RWC is far more important. They might be local derbies but as far as I can see most of the fans are there for the booze up and not much else. It's a (mainly) lads' trip away with a sporting contest attched. Nothing wrong with that in itself but just don't tell me that the context of the 6N is supposed to get me excited this season, because it doesn't.
    I've been told that the IRFU are prepared to write off this, and possibly the next two six nations, in order to bring through younger players to have them ready for the world cup in 2013. Hence persisting with Sexton when something is clearly wrong with him at international level. France did the same after Ireland won the grand slam. The following season was all about beating Ireland, and becoming the de facto northern hemisphere champions, winning the grand slam was incidental.

Football has many ills, I fully get that. I just wish the rugby heads would have the decency to accept that their sport is also riddled wth rule anomalies, refereeing inconsistencies, and as the sport's professional era becomes more advanced, bad sportsmanship, bad off pitch behaviour and all of that. I don't see much evidence that they do.
    Read an article late last year comparing the way soccer and rugby are reported, and wondering why rugby players seem to get a much easier ride. The conclusion was that, while soccer fans wish the rugby players were subject to the same scrutiny, maybe the ideal situation was soccer players (human beings, lets not forget, and thus as fallible as any other) should be subject to the same "hands off" approach that their opposite numbers in rugby get.

My own opinion for a long time was that there was a level of jealousy from the journalists, who (in most cases) went to college, were educated, and in their own opinions earned their pay. In their eyes, why should someone earn far more than them for doing less? As for why rugby players got an easier ride, traditionally they came from similar backgrounds, in many cases went to the same schools (I know this has changed in the last few years) and were on better terms. In every soccer club, there's at least one players who was stitched up by the press, so why would any other player want to talk to them? The only rugby player I can remember having to suffer anything like that was O'Gara around the time of the world cup in France, when the allegations about his gambling and extra marital affairs came out and disappeared soon after.

With the introduction of professionalism, and the extra scrutiny that comes with it, it will be interesting to see how the relationship between players and media develops over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Ok I didn't see the piece because I don't have access to the Irish news but I have to admit that in rugby you wouldn't see the scenes that you see at Bohs and Rovers matches or the trouble that is routinely seen up and down the country at GAA matches. I presume it was a toff stating that fact in a really condescending manner, but at the same time I would have to agree that trouble is less likely to occur at rugby matches.

Stutts as regards the 6N being repetitive, maybe it is but every match is essentially an intense local derby, which is what makes it great. Same outcomes? In the past 4 years, there have been four different winners of the competition, I'm failing to see your logic there.
    And in the previous eight years, there was only three winners, with France winning it four times, England three times, and Wales just once
    Realistically, there's only ever going to be four winners of the tournament, Italy or Scotland will never win it. It usually comes down to who has the better home fixtures, we're never going to win it with away games against England and France.

Scotland and Italy are also rans, although Italy are improving
    Ireland and Wales are more or less the same. We can beat them, they can beat us.
    France rarely lose at home, but can struggle on the road against Ireland, Wales and England
    England go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Currently, they're pretty much ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the tournament, but when it becomes a soap box for people to proclaim superiority over any other sport, it detracts greatly from it.

That always looked like a sign of weakness, if you truly are greater, there's no need to state it.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/02/2012 at 12:19 AM.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I would suggest that there were a far deeper anger and frustration amongst the Irish fans the night of the 2010 play off than there was last Saturday night. yet there was no trouble. In fact, I recall massive queues outside the stadium in a small area/bridge leading up to the train station, where many Irish and French were mixed together. If ever there was a major receipe for trouble that it. Yet there was none.

As a follower of all sports I never like to see this putting one down over the other attitude, each sport has plenty of its ills. The 6Ns is far from perfect but I always find it very entertaining and while you will get many a poor game, you will also get fantastic contests.

25. Thanks From:

Page 44 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast