Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 78 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Probably a good a place as any to put this.

Miguel Delaney: Irish on course to overachieve once again

2. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Interesting stats ok but we haven't qualified yet and the way the Scots fell off the pace in the last campaign is a salutary warning, especially since it was in Georgia they were undone, which we have to visit yet.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think he's counting any chickens to be fair. He just said 'on course' and his final couple of lines in the piece was basically the same as what you have said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Since the Euros expanded after the 1992 tournament, there have been at least 13 European qualifying places available in each . Here's how they have been filled in the 12 subsequent finals:

12: Germany, Italy, Spain
    11: France
    10: England, Netherlands, Portugal
    9: Croatia
    8: Czechia, Russia, Switzerland, Sweden
    7: Denmark
    6: Greece, Belgium, Romania
    5: Poland, Turkey
    4: Austria, Bulgaria, R Ireland, Serbia
    3: Norway, Slovenia, Ukraine
    2: Scotland, Slovakia
    1: Albania, Bosnia, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, N Ireland, Wales

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think there were at least a couple of us saying last year that rugby is internally contradictory.

"But this was the game where rugby’s inherent contradictions were exposed as never before, the profile of the match coinciding with a series of “accidents”, the like of which are inevitable for as long as a sport condones – encourages, even – the aggressive “hit” to the upper body. Whatever happened to that quaint notion, the tackle?"

http://foot.ie/threads/127683-Rugby-...D-GAA-!/page78

Saturday's game at the Aviva also adds nuance to the discussions about TMO / video evidence. Whilst I feel football is too slow to use various means of supplementing the ref's real-time decision making, I also think it's a wild hornet's nest and is nowhere near as clear cut a step for football to take as many in the rugby world say it should be.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I have always bemoaned the fact that the replays are not shown on the screen for fouls etc at football games but are at rugby and cricket and wherever. Thus the coach potato gets the replay but the person who bothered to attend the game is denied the privilege and discriminated against. I think this is down to the football authorities not trusting the reaction of football supporters to adverse decisions but also to the fact that there are no video replays, so the fan is left with no redress. No system is ever going to be perfect because even with slow motion replays from different angles, it will often be a matter of interpretation by the video ref. How often have we heard the pundits disagree on whether something was handball and/or a penalty. Not all the decisions in football will therefore be cut and dried as was the case in the rugger on Saturday but decisions such as goals from offside or whether the foul was inside or outside the box should be easy enough to arbitrate and whether someone clipped someone or whether it was a dive in the penalty area. Once the video replay is allowed in football, it should also be shown in the stadium or cannot football supporters be trusted unlike their rugby brethern ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think if video evidence was made availble the decisions would be fair and balanced and then we wouldn't have those issues to worry about.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Contentious decisions like that are not shown on the big screen at games because it's a form of video refereeing. As you say, if a replay proved a goal was not offside, or a tackle should have been a red, etc, then the players, and the crowd, would be on the ref's back for the rest of the game.
    It's the same reason why a stadium's match clock stops at 90 minutes, so the crowd and players don't start screaming for a whistle when injury time passes,
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have always bemoaned the fact that the replays are not shown on the screen for fouls etc at football games but are at rugby and cricket and wherever. Thus the coach potato gets the replay but the person who bothered to attend the game is denied the privilege and discriminated against. I think this is down to the football authorities not trusting the reaction of football supporters to adverse decisions but also to the fact that there are no video replays, so the fan is left with no redress. No system is ever going to be perfect because even with slow motion replays from different angles, it will often be a matter of interpretation by the video ref. How often have we heard the pundits disagree on whether something was handball and/or a penalty. Not all the decisions in football will therefore be cut and dried as was the case in the rugger on Saturday but decisions such as goals from offside or whether the foul was inside or outside the box should be easy enough to arbitrate and whether someone clipped someone or whether it was a dive in the penalty area. Once the video replay is allowed in football, it should also be shown in the stadium or cannot football supporters be trusted unlike their rugby brethern ?
    Every week I disagree with a pundit who says something as trite as "he went down a bit too easily". A foul in rugby is defined, a foul in football is "if in the referee's consideration" an act involves "excessive force" or "lack of care". Will videos solve that? Sometimes I'd say but not often enough to avoid stirring up even further debate.

James McClean in Lille: I got lots of texts in real time giving out about how a penalty wasn't given. On TV Howard Webb pointed out a slight touch on the ball that quite honestly I agree meant it wasn't a penalty.

Even offside: you can rule a goal out for offside, but what if a lino flags wrongly for offside, a forward scores anyway but a keeper claims he had seen the flag and not tried 100%?

I think the Dutch solution makes more sense than video adjudication live in the stadium. A remote referee watches the game live and has 15 seconds to overrule an obviously wrong decision. A study showed that the system improved the success rate of refs' decisions from 95% to 97%.

Anyway, I'm agreeing with what you're saying except I still think whether a player "went down easily" (not a crime) or dived would just as often as not be impossible to determine via TMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Getting to the ball does not ordinarily mean that a foul HASN'T been committed though. and it's one of the aspects that annoys me when I hear shouts for "he got the ball". It's all about being careless, reckless or using excessive force.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afde...t_en_47379.pdf

it was a penalty for McClean.

---

Interesting to see where Rugby is regarding participation in Ireland.

http://www.sportireland.ie/Research/...eport-2015.pdf

---

While we are on the subject of refereeing foul play, the assumption of due care should always exist and especially in a sport like rugby union. notions of intent should be left at the door. If you go to make a fair tackle but miss-time it and manage to get the opponents head, then tiugh, and off you pop. The onus should always be on the tackler to play safe. Regardless of the intent on Henshaw, it was reckless and that should be enough for a yellow.

I have brought this up before but in ice hockey intent is done away with as is the severity f the contact. In a "high sticking foul" even if you didn't see the opponent behind you or it was even the softest of touches you are boxed (binned) for 2 minutes as you should be in control of your equipment and tough if you weren't. No whining, just into the box and that's that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ratings for the most watched tv shows in Ireland in 2016 released: http://www.tamireland.ie/node/517
    Three of the Euro 2016 games in the top five, and the France game almost doubled the audience for the biggest rugby game (Ireland v New Zealand in Aviva).

Just to compare and contrast, the audience for the France game was also bigger than the highest watched rugby game in 2015 - the Ireland V France game from the rugby world cup in 2015: http://www.tamireland.ie/node/472
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/01/2017 at 2:34 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Mrs. Brown's Boys with three entries in the Top 20... I can't sit through five minutes of it without shaking my head in disbelief as to its popularity.

The Nine O'Clock news at No.11 is a strange one, I wonder what date it was for?

I suppose comparing the Ireland Euro figures to tests or Six Nations in rugby isn't really like for like, probably more comparable to the France/Argentina games in the RWC?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Mrs Browns Boys' popularity is simply staggering.

I take your point about the rugby although my rugby mates will always say “there’s no such thing as JUST a test match”

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The Nine O'Clock news at No.11 is a strange one, I wonder what date it was for?

27th February, day after the election.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Mrs Browns Boys now more popular than Fair City AND Ros ns Run?!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The school that tried to stop Liam Brady playing soccer are now excelling in the sport - http://www.the42.ie/st-aidans-cbs-li...80055-May2017/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    In this month's Rugby World: http://www.rugbyworld.com/publicatio...orld/june-2017
    Is rugby becoming football?

Rugby has long looked down its nose at football but RW columnist Stephen Jones believes the oval-ball game is now losing the moral high ground. He discusses the coaching merry-go-round and attitudes to referees, and even admits he prefers many aspects of soccer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Tets, one of the worst journalists around, hard to respect anything this guy writes.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The moral highground is bizarrely important to some of these people. Some of them genuinely seem to think think licking referee's bums makes them better than soccer fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Eamonn Sweeney comparing chalk & cheese for no obvious reason - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...-36116885.html

28. Thanks From:

Page 78 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast